Why isn't the JF-17 module at 50% discount like the rest?

Hardcard

Whatever the reason is, it's keeping potential buyers like me from actually making the purchase, just saying...

The Sale is an ED initiative, the 3rd parties are not obligated to follow suit, for example Heatblur isn’t on discount either.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Whatever the reason is, it's keeping potential buyers like me from actually making the purchase, just saying...

It's just released and you want it for 1/2 price. Try living on bread and water for a week before suggesting the devs should follow you down that route.

..... and don't compare it to the Viper, or better still just get the Viper.

Honestly, if you don't see that this module is worth it's full price then so be it.

This is in my oppinion the best and most complete module around this time. And guess what: Developing takes money.

This is Dekas first full module here and I happily pay the full price to support these guys. And to be honest: I paid full price for modules that were (and still are) far behind the Jeff regarding quality.

Edited by Viking 1-1

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

Honestly, if you don't see that this module is worth it's full price then so be it.

This is in my opinion the best and most complete module around this time. And guess what: Developing takes money.

This is Dekas first full module here and I happily pay the full price to support these guys. And to be honest: I paid full price for modules that were (and still are) far behind the Jeff regarding quality.

+1, If my full support keeps Deka completing the level of fidelity, and most importantly the fire-hose of updates and community support / interactions, that we have not seen from other developers, then so be it. I feel we have really seen a downturn on quality the last year and deka is really seeming to stop this trend.

I will continue to support them with my wallet. My only hope is they bring this to producing more modules of the same caliber (maybe some blue heavier metal :))

It's just released and you want it for 1/2 price. Try living on bread and water for a week before suggesting the devs should follow you down that route.

..... and don't compare it to the Viper, or better still just get the Viper.

Yup this....

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It's really nice to see people unload their baggage (some of you even put words in my mouth, for some reason :D), but you're still missing the point.

Deka is losing money it could be making right now if the price were lower.

Instead of $40 (or whatever percentage they get), they'll get $0 from me and hundreds/thousands of other people, do the math.

If you think that boosting sales is somehow bad for business, that's not my problem.

@Zoomer

Didn't it cross your mind that maybe I created this thread because I'm poor?

Also, do you see the script linked below? Do you know how much time I invested developing it, creating videos, etc.?

Do you know how much money I got in return for all that time invested?

Oh, I know what it is to work for free, you don't have to remind me ;)

Edited by Hardcard

Few times I have voluntarily had fasting of one month. Only drank water and few crispbread every few days.

Not a big challenge but if I would have been digging a pit whole day instead living normal life, I would have stopped on first week.

And no, I do not really agree with these mega-sales to happen often or for a new modules, especially early access modules like F-16C or F/A-18C.

Why I honor the Deka from not entering to the sale with -50% price cut.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

If 'free to play for 2 weeks' still can not bring 'boosting sales',

why can 50% off ?

Vedio games are very personal things, they're not price related only.

Haters hate, lovers love, you cannot buy it by money.

why can 50% off ?

Why I prefer that in future there would be more of the "free weekend" kind offerings, so after that there would be people buying the module, and even more likely when the next sale comes out after that.

-50% is not needed IMHO so soon after the release and definitely not middle of the development and early access. Later on when the module starts to be old it IMHO can enter once or twice a year to -50% special sales but otherwise IMHO module should be there to generate income for studio and be purchased at lower than -20% price with the ED miles.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I think the 'Free to play for x weeks' concept should be the preferred method of 'boosting sales'.

It's important that the developers actually make some money from the modules, which they spend an enormous amount of time developing. I'd rather pay a higher price if that means the module will be maintained and developed for a longer time period. I find the replay value of DCS modules to be in a different ballpark compared to other video games (which affects my imaginary depreciation period positively). :)

I really enjoy flying the JF-17 - thank you for delivering a pretty mature module and keep up the good job developing it!

... Deka is losing money it could be making right now if the price were lower.

Instead of $40 (or whatever percentage they get), they'll get $0 from me and hundreds/thousands of other people, do the math. ...

Actually, by cutting the price now they would be cannibalizing future sales of the module at it's normal price. This is especially true given the age of the module, it's new enough that they likely haven't made back the cost of development yet, much less paying for ongoing development! LOL.

That they did this anyways, though with a smaller cut in price, is a calculated risk on their part and is certainly a boon for those wanting to buy it now! So where they would be losing money is if they reduced the price further (vs. future sales that is).

But JF-17 isn't like many of the modules from ED and other developers that are much older, where initial development fees have been recovered already (or mostly recovered) and the drop in price isn't cannibalizing future sales so harshly.

Usually when you do see such steep sales on newer products (like 50% off) it's because of one of two things:

1. they need to generate a LOT of money fast or

2. the goodwill and social buzz created by the sale is deemed more valuable than the money lost thru the lower pricing (vs. normal pricing), today's buzz = tomorrow's sales, no buzz, no sales...

When the product is older (think A-10 or KA-50), they've sold so many that every new sale pays for upkeep and improvements and they can afford steeper discounts (because the prorated profit margins are higher in comparison to newer modules). This is where they pay for the upkeep for the world in DCS, BTW, those profit margins!

So when you do the math, it NEEDS to be for total sales of JF-17 over the life of the product, rather than a single month or so towards the beginning of the life of the product. You're making a bad assumption that anyone not buying it right now is a "lost sale", which is naive and untrue.

And the math says that if we want a great JF-17 module, or have great modules of other aircraft in the future, that Deka made the right choice...

Edited by StressLess
'Cause I wanted to...

HP Z230 - Win10 Pro, i7-4770@3.30Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVO 1TB SSD x2, GTX 1660 Super 6GB, Quest 2 VR/TrackIR5; GIGABYTE AERO 17 HDR XD - Creator series laptop

DCS World - Terrains: all; Modules: all but MB-339, Mirage F1, Mosquito, I-16, MiG-19P, Yak-52, F-5E, L-39, C-101, MiG-15bis, MiG-21bis, & F-86F; Campaigns: various

On My Radar - The Typhoon, and I'm still hoping for a Norway map to go with it!!

It's really nice to see people unload their baggage (some of you even put words in my mouth, for some reason :D), but you're still missing the point.

Deka is losing money it could be making right now if the price were lower.

Instead of $40 (or whatever percentage they get), they'll get $0 from me and hundreds/thousands of other people, do the math.

If you think that boosting sales is somehow bad for business, that's not my problem.

@Zoomer

Also, do you see the script linked below? Do you know how much time I invested developing it, creating videos, etc.?

Do you know how much money I got in return for all that time invested?

Oh, I know what it is to work for free, you don't have to remind me ;)

Look, the module has been out for a few months, I think it was like 1.5 years before ED put the hornet on any sort of sale, and even then it wasn't half off. If you want the Jeff either you wait or you work on being less poor. Sorry that's the way it is IMO. I've paid full price for the modules I was interested in, and waited till others that I don't care much about were on sale.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

That argument only works if few people are willing to pay full price. The fact that you're not willing to isn't necessarily indicative of a greater trend.

Why would it? You're playing one of the most expensive games out there. If you're poor, why aren't you playing cheaper sims, or at least limiting yourself to cheaper low-fidelity DCS planes?

Possibly the worst thread i've ever read and there has been some bad ones over time.

If only all 3rd party developer's where at Deka's level - this plane i have to say is probably the best in terms of what they promised to deliver and what we got and its still EA.

Worth every penny, buy it at full price and support Deka so that they have a future within the market place not try and score cheap buys, its this that is the real damage and negative impact on the sector.

So for those that bought the original A10c - how many years of fun has that bought, for the price paid - some value for money is that. Same with this module it should bring many years of fun!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Possibly the worst thread i've ever read and there has been some bad ones over time.

If only all 3rd party developer's where at Deka's level - this plane i have to say is probably the best in terms of what they promised to deliver and what we got and its still EA.

Worth every penny, buy it at full price and support Deka so that they have a future within the market place not try and score cheap buys, its this that is the real damage and negative impact on the sector.

So for those that bought the original A10c - how many years of fun has that bought, for the price paid - some value for money is that. Same with this module it should bring many years of fun!

Honestly I own almost all the modules in DCS, and while I don't fly more than one or two at a time (cuz being able to remember how to use them effectively is hard). I have racked up thousands of hours per steam, so however much I paid, which is in the hundreds of dollars to be sure not counting the hardware which adds way way more, its still a pretty good investment in terms of bang/per buck/per hour (BpBpH). Now some moules have gotten flown maybe 1-2 hours, and so those have been bad calls on my part, but others more than make up for it.

why can 50% off ?.

If it were 50% off I would've bought the module already, that's why... and I don't think I'm the only person in the world who thinks that more than $50 for a DCS module is steep, even if it's amazing.

Free trial and then pay $80 = Sorry, can't do

50% off = Alright, this I can do

As simple as that

Edited by Hardcard

It’s not becuase everyone isn’t in your position. There are going to be people that pay full price regardless.

Now what really confuses me a lot, is why is everyone talking about full price. This entire sale the JF-17 has been $15 off, it’s not full price right now and hasn’t been for a while

9A1E3597-CB27-484A-AD5D-B4E47FEDBFD6.thumb.png.3da1f6cc7b8a381715a32966e4c7d8da.png

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

So when you do the math, it NEEDS to be for total sales of JF-17 over the life of the product, rather than a single month or so towards the beginning of the life of the product. You're making a bad assumption that anyone not buying it right now is a "lost sale", which is naive and untrue.

And the math says that if we want a great JF-17 module, or have great modules of other aircraft in the future, that Deka made the right choice...

I did consider all that before creating the thread, believe it or not.

Here's what you're not accounting for:

I'm not going to pay $80 for the JF-17... not today, not tomorrow, not in 100 years (duh, I'll be dead by then :lol:... also, currency devaluation and all that... but that's beside the point).

Anyway, the point is that I'm not the only person in the world who thinks/feels this way, so there you go... those potential sales are lost (until several years have passed, that is).

Question is... how many in total?

Well, read through Steam and Youtube comments about DCS over the years. Module price alone keeps more people away from DCS World than you might think.

Personally, I think it's in the hundreds of thousands of people, so I definitely believe that total profits over the life of the product would still be greater, even with a considerable price reduction.

Still, I'm not advocating for a permanent price reduction either. You can do 50% during COVID 19 pandemic and then go back to normal... big deal (no, it's not a big deal, regardless of how new the module is).

Besides, judging by how many people own the jeff... I think Deka has been quite successful already.

And, btw, we could have an endless philosophical debate here, since the basis of your argument is flawed: It's impossible to lose money that one doesn't have in the first place

Sure, you can make all the theoretical projections you want... but then reality hits you in the face (take the COVID 19 pandemic, for instance)

That's the kind of thinking that many economists and business people have... like infinite growth, it's a fundamentally flawed concept.

Edited by Hardcard

I’m sure Deka knew what they were doing with their free week and $15 off. It’s always a carefully made decision in business, I’m sure they’re still making many sales with their $15 dollar off after that free week, maybe more then if then if more sales were done at 50%.

They will be fine, it came out in December, it was ten dollars off then. You can buy it now for cheaper then the people that waited for its first release!

I’m sorry you can’t buy it becuase if available funds, but I don’t think Deka made a bad decision with their pricing. When it’s been out for a year I’m sure it will go on sale just as much as everything else

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

If you want the Jeff either you wait or you work on being less poor. Sorry that's the way it is IMO. I've paid full price for the modules I was interested in, and waited till others that I don't care much about were on sale.

I've bought almost all my modules on sale over the years (except for FC3, which I think I bought for the full price, back when I wasn't poor).

Of course I'll wait, like I always do, but that was never the point of this thread.

The point was that, imo, Deka made a strategic mistake by not following ED's initiative, that's all (and yes, I considered pros and cons before posting).

Some people who replied took it personally (for some reason), unloaded their baggage and threw some snark, which was fun to read but missed the point.

Also, why are you apologizing? You did nothing to offend me ;)

If you have the money to buy DCS modules at full price, good for you! But plenty of other people aren't so lucky (they don't live rent free, like you :D)

Anyway, this was never the point of the thread.

@[16AGR] Glacier

Why would it?

Because people who have the money to pay full price are unlikely to worry about such things, therefore it's unlikely that they'll create such threads (although not impossible, granted).

As for the second question... I might be "poor", but not stupid :D

And, yes, I've been limiting myself since 2013, I only bought the hornet recently, thanks to the 50% discount, but all this is beside the point.

I was only interested in knowing people's thoughts about Deka's strategic decision to not join in ED's initiative, that's all.

Edited by Hardcard