3D Printed Hornet Front Panel - VR

Jself

Inspired by Brun's UFC, I thought I'd take a stab at designing the rest of the Hornet's front panel. I play DCS in VR so I'm not worried about any of the displays, I just want to get the buttons/switches/knobs in roughly the right spot. I just got my printer so this weekend has been spent testing techniques/fitments of various components. I haven't printed a single part for it yet. I had a buddy print me the UFC using Braun's design so no need to re-invent the wheel. I'm planing on using his design. Here is a link to that thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218874

I've scaled up the NATOPS foldouts (I know they are not the best) and used my best guess for angles and depths in DCS VR. Ultimately that's what I want it to match. Here is what I have so far.. a little bit of design / cleanup and then weeks of printing I'm sure. It will use 3 TM Cougar MFDs

Everything is designed to print on an Ender 3 (230x230). As of right now its 43 separate printed parts should be 50ish when completed.

Panel1.png

R-DDI.png

AMPCD.png

IFEI.png

Edited by Jself
  • Like 1

Got the first set of prints done, test fit and painted. It turned out pretty good. All I have are the green square buttons right now, they will be replaced by red/yellow for final assembly.

IMG-0492.jpg

IMG-0491.jpg

Edited by Jself

This sub-forum (and the level of artistry of this part of the community) really keeps amazing me

I'm not quite into simpit building myself, but I wonder how well this front panel of yours, would combine with something like PointCTRL. I don't have a 3D printer, but I can imagine that without actual buttons and switches, this simpit front panel would be pretty affordable solution to those who do have a 3D printer.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Got the first set of prints done, test fit and painted. It turned out pretty good. All I have are the green square buttons right now, they will be replaced by red/yellow for final assembly.

IMG-0492.jpg

IMG-0491.jpg

Looks good man! Did you paint the lettering on after the print? Really anxious to see how the rest turns out!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Looking good Jself. I recommend raising the text, the print is cleaner, looks better when viewed off-axis, no clean up mess. I go 0.4mm, you can barely see that's raised. You've made great progress especially considering you've only just got your printer!

cheers

John

I've gone back and forth on the text. I ended up at 1.5mm deep text and then the color is a white crayon rubbed into the groove. It is much brighter than paint. Its not coming off rest of the parts as well as I would like, but its good enough. Gives it a bit of a worn look. A 3D print is never going to look like like a laser etched acrylic panel. I got the right side completed and am printing the structure that will hold Braun's UFC design. I'll work on the UFC next and then start the lower panels. I messed up the UFC I already had printed. I left it outside to dry after painting and the sun was hot enough to deform it pretty severely. I"ll have to print it again.

I was able to come up with a way to activate the guard opening on the spin recovery switch. I couldn't figure out a way to recognize it closing, but this will have to do. I may be able to do it with an else statement in the lua. If anyone knows the code for that I would greatly appreciate it.

IMG-0494.jpg

IMG-0495.jpg

Edited by Jself

Sorry if I misunderstood but I was wondering how you got the white text on the panels themselves. These are looking great, my printer is ready! I also plan on using Bruns ufc design

Sorry if I misunderstood but I was wondering how you got the white text on the panels themselves. These are looking great, my printer is ready! I also plan on using Bruns ufc design

I tried painting them but wasn't happy with the results. I just took a white crayon and rubbed it pretty hard over the lettering. The waxy type substance of the crayon will fill the gap made by the lettering. You can wipe off about 95% of the excess with a rag and you're left with the white text. I couldn't get it 100% off but its good enough for me

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having some issues with my printer so progress has been slow the last week or so. I think I got it straightened out so we should be back to knocking parts out. I did get the UFC structure and the UFC printed. I may try the UFC again since I got the kinks worked out of my printer. I'm not super happy with the way it turned out. I also redesigned the HUD Panel face with the txt a little deeper. I'll print that at some point as well. Still waiting on the yellow square buttons...ignore the 2 remaining green ones for now

IMG-0518.jpg

IMG-0519.jpg

IMG-0520.jpg

IMG-0521.jpg

Edited by Jself

I think I'm down to the home stretch... I got my printer running well again and reprinted the UFC..it looked awful the first time.. I got the raised text/color change figured out, so I'll be reprinting the spin and master arm panel faces. The UFC is wired, most of the LEDs are wired. I'm hoping to have the front panel finished, wired and mounted to my pit by this time next week. Its coming together nicely. The MFDs are just sitting in place. They are not bolted down yet..that is why they are little crooked. I have 1 bad LED in the UFC round switches but I didn't order a spare, so I'm stuck with it now.

IMG-0539.jpg

Edited by Jself

I just got a printer this week but haven’t set it up yet. Looking forward to your files being released.

I have a Monstertech pit on order and plan on possibly using your creation with it.

Also waiting for TekCreatIons UFC to be back in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

If everything goes well.. I'll write up some documentation and publish the stl files in ~2 weeks. I will say, with the way I designed it to mount to my pit, it may be slightly challenging to get it mounted another way. I designed all the access to the panels form the rear..I should've done it from the front. Too late now.. lol

• 2 weeks later...

I got the last couple bugs worked out and the panel mounted. Its 100% functional and I'm very please with the way it turned out. Its definitely not a 1:1 Hornet replica, but it's close enough to get all the controls within reach in VR..exactly what I intended. I"m working up a parts list and documentation. I'll post links to those just as soon as I get them completed. Again, shout out to Brun for inspiring me and providing the UFC design for this project.

Panel.jpg

Left-DDI.jpg

Right-DDI.jpg

IFEI.jpg

AMPCD.jpg

Guages.jpg

CM-Panel.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm speechless man

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

yeah this is ratty cool

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

I finally set up my Ender3 on Friday. I've printed a few HOTAS plug covers (for the stick>grip connectors) and a few grip display stands.

Given my desire to swap between various aircraft, I'm not sure how much of this design I'll end up doing (I have the BuddyFox A-10C UFC, and have the TekCreations F-16 coming tomorrow and Hornet in a few weeks).

Of course, I could do all of it. :)

Thanks for offering these files up!

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I finally set up my Ender3 on Friday. I've printed a few HOTAS plug covers (for the stick>grip connectors) and a few grip display stands.

Given my desire to swap between various aircraft, I'm not sure how much of this design I'll end up doing (I have the BuddyFox A-10C UFC, and have the TekCreations F-16 coming tomorrow and Hornet in a few weeks).

Of course, I could do all of it. :)

Thanks for offering these files up!

buddy, you don't know the rabbit hole you've opened, now that you have a 3D printer... (I have way to many projects).

One thing you might with to consider down the road. A Raspberry Pi, and run Octoprint to help manage your 3D printer. They work like a charm! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control