Are the P47 sounds finalised?

hazzer

Hello,

Just wondering if the P47 sounds are complete?

Just an observation that compared to the ww2 modules that have all received an improvement this seems to be lacking. The engine rumble in a flypast appears to be missing.

The tire noise on landing is very loud, I hear it over the engine so much so that the engine is essentially silent.

I fly with hear like in helmet on as it adds to the realism, but some of the rumble from the engine appears to be lost between that. That you would actual hear.

Thanks.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Yeah IMO balance of sounds is still off but its an overall dcs issue. I turned down world sounds and left cockpit at max, and still you can hear other aircraft operating nearby 10x louder than your own.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Yeah I suspect it is more to do with the actual balance.

Oh also the splutter sound if you idel too quick is the same as what the p51 was and it is grating me. I assume it is a placeholder.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

To add to this, I have noticed that when the canopy is open I can hear aircraft that are at a distance from me louder than my own engine

Some things that I immediately noticed:

There's a prop-py sound that just appears at high manifold pressures, and probably many of you will recognize it sounding literally just like the default prop sound in a well known sim that's almost 20 years old now.

When the turbo supercharger kicks in, especially at higher RPM you can hear it, which is great. But the thing is in the back of the plane, the sound still comes from the front. And yes, I'm one of the last few crusaders that still do use a distinct audio card and actual speakers, 5.1 Sourround to be precise. Probably won't be noticable at all on silly stereo speakers hooked up on a cheap onboard solution.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

About 12 years ago, I was at the Chino Air Show when they had three (3!!!) P-38s flying, including the famous Glacier Girl. There was also a razorback P-47G with Walker Mahurin's markings.

None of these aircraft had what I could describe as a throaty roar when they opened their throttles and I learned later that most if not all of their exhaust is usually going directly into the turbosuperchargers so that most of the engine noise is muffled compared to the P-40s, Mustangs, Corsairs and Hellcats that were also present.

Since I didn't get to sit in the cockpits of these aircraft, much less when the engine was running, I cannot tell you that the in-cockpit sounds are entirely accurate, but these fighters definitely didn't seem as loud in a flyby as their merely supercharged brethren.

cheers

horseback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

About 12 years ago, I was at the Chino Air Show when they had three (3!!!) P-38s flying, including the famous Glacier Girl. There was also a razorback P-47G with Walker Mahurin's markings.

None of these aircraft had what I could describe as a throaty roar when they opened their throttles and I learned later that most if not all of their exhaust is usually going directly into the turbosuperchargers so that most of the engine noise is muffled compared to the P-40s, Mustangs, Corsairs and Hellcats that were also present.

Since I didn't get to sit in the cockpits of these aircraft, much less when the engine was running, I cannot tell you that the in-cockpit sounds are entirely accurate, but these fighters definitely didn't seem as loud in a flyby as their merely supercharged brethren.

cheers

horseback

I can agree with this, I was at Flying Legends last year and the Thunderbolt wasn't nearly as loud as I expected. That said, G-THUN doesn't have a turbo-charger so maybe I could be mistaken

Yeah maybe my choice of words to describe the engine sound is off. Also around Duxford you can hear the b-17 which has the same engine sound really. Expecting a roaring noise but it's actually pretty quiet

I can agree with this, I was at Flying Legends last year and the Thunderbolt wasn't nearly as loud as I expected. That said, G-THUN doesn't have a turbo-charger so maybe I could be mistaken

I knew some of the present day flying P-47’s didn’t have a working turbo... do you happen to know which ones do and do not?

• ED Team

Perhaps you expected something the same as the P51 or BF109 in sound. But alas, the P47 is a really quiet plane. If someone else from the WW2 aircraft we have presented flies next to him in the sky, you won’t even really hear him.

You watch and compare the simulator with YouTube videos, recorded with sound compressors. In life, he is really quiet. I present to you a real record from the cockpit with an open P47 canopy at idle when other planes fly nearby - https://yadi.sk/d/KVy8T91NAGHnFA

From the very beginning (in addition to flybys) you can hear the sound of the propeller, but not of the P47, but of another aircraft, which is really far away. Closer to the middle of the recording, this sound even gets brighter and louder than everything that sounds in the cockpit p47. The sound of the 47th in the cockpit is actually muddy and quiet on low rpms.

About adjusting the volume of the world - changing the world volume in the audio settings, you do not change it for the cockpit. You change it only for the cameras outside the cockpit

Edited by btd

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

• ED Team
most if not all of their exhaust is usually going directly into the turbosuperchargers so that most of the engine noise is muffled compared to the P-40s, Mustangs, Corsairs and Hellcats that were also present.

Exactly. Thanks

Of course, something in the sounds will change and improve. We are always working on it. But please do not expect a second Mustang from the P47 :)

Edited by btd

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

Same here, I remember her not being as loud as expected at Duxford a couple of years ago

• ED Team
Perhaps you expected something the same as the P51 or BF109 in sound. But alas, the P47 is a really quiet plane. If someone else from the WW2 aircraft we have presented flies next to him in the sky, you won’t even really hear him.

You watch and compare the simulator with YouTube videos, recorded with sound compressors. In life, he is really quiet. I present to you a real record from the cockpit with an open P47 canopy at idle when other planes fly nearby - https://yadi.sk/d/KVy8T91NAGHnFA

From the very beginning (in addition to flybys) you can hear the sound of the propeller, but not of the P47, but of another aircraft, which is really far away. Closer to the middle of the recording, this sound even gets brighter and louder than everything that sounds in the cockpit p47. The sound of the 47th in the cockpit is actually muddy and quiet on low rpms.

About adjusting the volume of the world - changing the world volume in the audio settings, you do not change it for the cockpit. You change it only for the cameras outside the cockpit

P-47 like P-38 is very ears-friendly. You can be near it without closed back headphones and do not suffer from the sound level. As you know exactly :).

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Are the external sounds finalized as well? One of the things I have noticed is that when the AI starts up next to me, there is absolutely no audio until a few seconds after they have started, when the "idle" audio suddenly pops in. Also happens with other AI warbirds like the A-20G, which have been out for slightly longer.

Hi,

Yes I agree with you regarding the actual engine sound. However the tire noise is way too loud and the sound of other aircraft over my own is off.

P47 sounds like a hot angry mess in real life on the ground, Plus the Energizer sound is off? any chance we will get a proper energizer sound, and engage?

- the 5 minute mark has the energizer, and engage sounds.

Of course, something in the sounds will change and improve. We are always working on it. But please do not expect a second Mustang from the P47 :)

I'll be glad already if the turbo supercharger was cranking in the back instead of the front dealwithit.png

Thanks for the great already sounds BTW, you're doing a terrific job there! ajmug.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Thanks BTD, you're rock'n it dude! Love flying this bird, and the sound! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Oh very cool. Was this done with condenser microphones or did you get to experiment any with contact microphones? Given the exhaust structure, I'd expect most of the sound the pilot would hear would be from bone conduction rather than pressure wave type one gets from the exhaust stacks.

Note: my knowledge mostly comes from dealing with a family history of hearing loss (nerve deafness, so rhyme or reason need not apply) and some interesting things I've run into on the difficulty of micing a vibraphone, rather than any sort of profession study of sound engineering.

Good to know. I opened this traed to discuss exactly that: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=276905

I found the engine sound constant, no matter the engine setting. But now I know that the sim sound is not that far off from reality.

Congratulations for the work you do, guys!

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog