Pilot Body?

Luft Waffel

7 hours ago, Germane said:

Hey Cobra, what is "IK"? Is it planned to add it to the engine?

You would have to direct your question to ED. Heatblur can't add it to the Core Sim. It's not something you piggy back on from a 3rd Party Developer. 

Also heres a Video which explains IK vs FK (FK is what we have right now afaik).

Edited by VFlip
  • Thanks 3

Am 4.11.2022 um 12:21 schrieb draconus:

Inverse Kinematics

vor 21 Stunden schrieb VFlip:

You would have to direct your question to ED. Heatblur can't add it to the Core Sim. It's not something you piggy back on from a 3rd Party Developer. 

Also heres a Video which explains IK vs FK (FK is what we have right now afaik).

Thanks guys. I tought thats it more a topic of motion capturing

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, Бойовий Сокіл said:

How come Razbam can do this just fine (even for EA release) but Heatblur can't?

Who said they can't? They said they'll improve the pilot body later in development.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

7 hours ago, Бойовий Сокіл said:

How come Razbam can do this just fine (even for EA release) but Heatblur can't? Both proper base animations like legs and brake pedals and this exra stuff?

The hand is not moving off the stick.

EDIT: Also; pedals is an oversight, but our legs move just fine? Am I missing something?

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@IronMike

Would it be possible to add operable kneeboards to future iterations of the pilot body? That would be a major improvement for the VR environment. The current "legacy" pilot body of ED's Hornet actually features one (albeit too small).

I am aware that there are 3rd party kneeboard plugins, but I would very much prefer a "native" solution. Less programs running in the background, and, apparently, mods can potentially really mess up the DCS core.

• Like 3

On 3/2/2023 at 11:17 PM, Jayhawk1971 said:

@IronMike

Would it be possible to add operable kneeboards to future iterations of the pilot body? That would be a major improvement for the VR environment. The current "legacy" pilot body of ED's Hornet actually features one (albeit too small).

I am aware that there are 3rd party kneeboard plugins, but I would very much prefer a "native" solution. Less programs running in the background, and, apparently, mods can potentially really mess up the DCS core.

Yes, I think we can look into that. So basically what you would like is the functionality of the kneeboard as is know when brought up with "K", but directly when strapped on your legs, without having to press K?

If we do it, it will be further down the priority list, as our plate is really full atm, but I absolutely like the idea. Thank you for the suggestion!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

3 hours ago, IronMike said:

So basically what you would like is the functionality of the kneeboard as is know when brought up with "K", but directly when strapped on your legs, without having to press K?

Yes, in RL scale of course :thumbup: Thanks for your support.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Problem is in real life scale you now have the problem of not being able to move the pilot bodies leg in order to see the kneeboard easier. Maybe it’s just my G2, but it gets grumpy looking straight down. It movement limits as well as tries to fall off. 

• 2 months later...

You guys can read kneeboards in VR? I find that anything even close to realistic scale is compeltely impossible to read.

K-function or so works fine IIRC tho.

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Biggus:

Is there a way to permanently hide the body.  I'm one of those weirdos that hates seeing a body in the cockpit and finding the right key combo in VR can be a bit of a pain.

I think you can disable it by default in special options?

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Temetre said:

I find that anything even close to realistic scale is compeltely impossible to read.

We don't have such kneeboard in the Tomcat yet so what do you base it on?

vor 15 Minuten schrieb draconus:

We don't have such kneeboard in the Tomcat yet so what do you base it on?

I mean we got it in other planes, or even other games. And looking up IRL kneeboards, it seems like they indeed got really small print on DinA4 or smaller sized papers. When I tried stuff like that in VR in the past, it was basically unreadable without some zoom function. You cant even put your face closer to the kneeboard often, because its on your knee. Even on an F-16, where the inclined seat makes it easier to get closer, it was kinda useless in the original size to me.

And generally, text isnt as easy to read in VR usually, something about the pixel rendering and density or so. Just blurs over much more. Now to be fair, its been a while since Ive tested it, and maybe I had some settings wrong, but I wouldnt have much hope for realistic kneeboards in VR.

edit: Actually found a link to another flight sim (thats not against the rules I hope?) where I tried it. Kinda looked like that and was basically unreadable to me:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/commercial-vehicles/1912818d1567657168-combat-aircraft-indian-air-force-kneeboard.jpg

Even in 2D I had to zoom that in (1080p screen).

Edited by Temetre

3 hours ago, Temetre said:

You guys can read kneeboards in VR? I find that anything even close to realistic scale is compeltely impossible to read.

K-function or so works fine IIRC tho.

I think you can disable it by default in special options?

i cant see it in there, id like to default off the pilot body too

• Like 2

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

F-14, like other modules, should respect the "show pilot body" setting in DCS > options > misc. but I heard it does not atm and starts with default on.

• Like 4

vor 1 Stunde schrieb draconus:

F-14, like other modules, should respect the "show pilot body" setting in DCS > options > misc. but I heard it does not atm and starts with default on.

@BiggusNeat I think Drac got it?

Im pretty sure when I flew the F-14, I had the pilot disabled by default.

• Like 1

Thank you, @Temetre and @draconus for pointing that out to me.

I noticed something interesting @IronMike and I'm not sure if you'd like me to file a bug report relating to this that might explain why some people still get the body showing when the 'show pilot body' box is unchecked.

I had the box unchecked but was still having the body appear each time I loaded in.  I was able to fix this behavior by checking the box so that 'show pilot body' was enabled.  I then loaded into an instant action mission and immediately quit.  I then unchecked the 'show pilot body' box, loaded an instant action mission and there was no pilot body.

I think that if you never interact with that option, the ["show_pilot_body"] = false line is never written to options.lua.  So when I enabled it, it added the 'show pilot body' line and then disabling it set it to false.

3 hours ago, Biggus said:

I had the box unchecked but was still having the body appear each time I loaded in.  I was able to fix this behavior by checking the box so that 'show pilot body' was enabled.  I then loaded into an instant action mission and immediately quit.  I then unchecked the 'show pilot body' box, loaded an instant action mission and there was no pilot body.

This worked as advertised in single player, but in multiplayer, the body still remains...

• Like 2

I'm not updating this anymore. It's safe to assume I have all the stuff, and the stuff for the stuff too. 🙂

4 hours ago, Biggus said:

Thank you, @Temetre and @draconus for pointing that out to me.

I noticed something interesting @IronMike and I'm not sure if you'd like me to file a bug report relating to this that might explain why some people still get the body showing when the 'show pilot body' box is unchecked.

I think that if you never interact with that option, the ["show_pilot_body"] = false line is never written to options.lua.  So when I enabled it, it added the 'show pilot body' line and then disabling it set it to false.

Please do file a report - many thanks! Please be so kind and also add Despayre's comment that the fix does not work for MP.

We're investigating why our previous fix did not succeed. Thank you!

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

12 hours ago, IronMike said:

Please do file a report - many thanks! Please be so kind and also add Despayre's comment that the fix does not work for MP.

We're investigating why our previous fix did not succeed. Thank you!

I've mentioned this before, but the pilot body does initially show up in single player just before you click the "fly" button.  It will then go away when you click "fly" if you have the option unchecked.  In multiplayer, it is also present when the "fly" menu is visible...it just doesn't go away when you click "fly."

FWIW, this was mention several months ago in this thread, and it has not changed 

Edited by WarthogOsl
  • Like 1