Cold War 1947 - 1991 *** Limited Edition ***

Alpenwolf

Hm ... its Saturday ... hm ... :huh:

:joystick:

Hmmm... I never said it takes place on Saturdays only... Hmmm :smilewink:

Round 5 will be some time during the next week to give those a chance who can't fly on the weekends.

Will be announced today or tomorrow at the latest.

If a squadron is willing to fly Blue let me know, please, otherwise Blue slots are open for everyone.

Possible changes will also be announced if there are any.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Round 5:

Wednesday, the 21st of October, 1830 zulu.

If any squadron is willing to fly Blue, then please announce it here, otherwise the slots are open fro all.

Notes for Red:

- 12 MiG-21 pilots should operate on 124 MHz (channel 0) only.

- A total of 12 F-14, MiG-29 and F-5 pilots should operate on 261 MHz only.

- That means 1 EWR for 12 pilots max.

- Ideally, 2 GCI operators; 1 for each frequency, or a complete different freq. determined by the GCI operators themselves.

- Around 60 Red ground units require at least 2 operators.

- Moving all 60 by one operator is really tough and it was really painful for me last time.

- That's a total of 4 operators for Red.

- Obviously, the more operators the better. Whether for GCI or ground warfare.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Excellent, already passed the word to other members of my squadron. Hopefully we'll be able to get our own GCI. I'll have to leave work early to make it on time. :D

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

I’m pretty sure that I’m not alone when it comes to enjoying the mix of planes and weapons that are offered on the Tiberias mission.

Would be great if there was a similar mission in the loop. Love the 3rd gen fighters and strikers, but 4th gen aircraft are at least as fun, and great for variation.

The pre 1991 weapon limitations are spot on.

Edited by NELLUS

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Round 5:

Wednesday, the 21st of October, 1830 zulu.

So, where's the event mission?

Edit: Hmm, seems like there's no event today...

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Draw!

Summary:

As mentioned above, I ran into lots of things at work so the event kicked off 25 minutes later than announced. For that I apologise.

I missed the first 1+ hours of the event.

From what I saw after that, Red were organised and were very effective with their MiG-21's. Mainly the VODKA squadron. The DEVILS flew the F-14, The MiG-29 and NELLUS was the GCI operator. Kudos, mate!

As expected on a Wednesday not many players were able to participate. Mainly solo players on the Blue side, outnumbered and performing CAP mainly.

After 2.5 hours I saw little ground activity from Red on the southern front and even less than that or zero on the northern front. Not blaming, just stating.

Blue tanks at some point started pushing south to bring the fight to the Reds and kills were scored on both sides, mainly for Red.

I closed down the event as the objective for Red is to capture and hold the Netafim military base. It didn't look like it's going to happen any time soon, especially after Red players started leaving.

Again, not many players. 20+ at mission's start and then gradually less players with every passing hour. Therefore...

... the event will always take place on the weekend, otherwise it's not living up to what it's got to offer. Check out the Tacview files of the previous rounds, especially round 4, which was a blast.

Here's the butcher's bill:

15 x MiG-21's were lost (64 available)

06 x F-5's were lost (36 available)

14 x MiG-29's were lost (24 available)

05 x F-14's were lost (24 available)

04 x Ka-50's were lost (12 available)

09 x F-15's were lost (36 available)

20 x F-16's were lost (36 available)

04 x F-18's were lost (24 available)

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

This was the first time I tried the mission, it went great! My buddy Erhardt and I flew out of King Hussein AB right at the start. Erhardt bagged a Viper with an R-60M hit. Shortly afterwards another F-16 drove into the ground while chasing yours truly. We RTB'd with no issues, but in the meantime my PC started playing up. Turns out Syria eats so much RAM my PC kept giving me fps drops (I have 16 GB of DDR4), so much so that my plane was all over the place and my wingman almost crashed into me.

After an hour of troubleshooting, repairing, cleaning up mods, then repairing again to pass the integrity check I went up to find Magic going Sunset. This was a huge loss, as Nellus was doing a stellar job directing us towards lone enemy aircraft, setting up traps from multiple directions and drawing Blue fighters into Red SAM range. Not long afterwards I checked the scoreboard to find that Blue had a 2x numerical advantage... After I was turned into meat in an Eagle sandwich I've decided to call it a day. Still, it was a really fun outing.

Shame about the low number of participants, was hoping these weekday missions would become a regular occurence (I'm away on weekends, so DCS is a no-go then). Many thanks for holding this on a Wednesday. I hope I'll be able to join you guys on Saturdays, this event is far too much fun to miss out on.

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

Kicking off now!

Ran into lots of things today at work... Just got home.

Sorry, folks

Damn, that was 2 minutes after me and my buddies gave up waiting :(

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I have left at 22:00. Work next day preventing participating in a whole mission so weekend are really the best solution for me. So not much i have done with KA50, only EWR and one merkava. Since there was not red tactical commander comms between hilos and them, it was realy search & being destroyed by ambush :D. So i tis very important for tactical commander to demand fire support from hilos.

Was a pleasure Gci'ing yesterday, great flying from all parts!

Screens from the battle:

Stunning pictures as always!

• Like 1

Any date for the next battle? Maybe we could make it a once a week kind of thing, Saturday afternoons?

Saturday afternoon is family time for me but if many/most of you want that then no problem by me. I wouldn't participate though and I don't think anyone from the two American continents would be able to.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Saturday afternoon is family time for me but if many/most of you want that then no problem by me. I wouldn't participate though and I don't think anyone from the two American continents would be able to.

When would it suit you the best, Sunday afternoons/evenings? Would be great to have it on a certain date, easier for teams to plan ahead.

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When would it suit you the best, Sunday afternoons/evenings? Would be great to have it on a certain date, easier for teams to plan ahead.

Again, if it's in the afternoon then I'm out of it but I'd put it online nonetheless for those who want it. However, I don't think you'd find enough (at least 25-30) players who'd fly at that time on the weekend.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

10 flyers per side is enough for this map, can get to crowded at times, which gives no room for CAS operations.

You kind of read my thoughts there, mate.

Tiberias 3.0 will probably look like this:

Instead of 6 x F-15C slots there will be 4 only.

Instead of 12 x MiG-21 slots there will be 8 only.

Instead of 4 x MiG-29 slots there will be 2 only.

The only reason is to try and reduce airquakes around the bullseye. So that's 8 players less. With that some might have a better game performance on the Syria map and surely less headache for (mainly Red) GCI operators.

Another possibility is reducing the numbers of the available ground units for both sides. I'll need to run some tests and see how it goes with less tanks on both sides.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

• 2 months later...

This mission is heavily dependant on teamwork, especially on the Blue side. And as in 4 rounds out of the 5 so far there was always a squadron taking the Blue side. This is vital as squadron members tend to cooperate and get the most out of their teamwork. However, if a bunch of random players (at least 8-10) want to form a team and fly Blue then by all means, and with that round 6 is most certainly up.

There was that one round out of the 5 where random players flew Blue and they got massacred. That's the reason why this mission runs occasionally plus the modern jets involved.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

• 1 month later...

The mission is coming back online this Friday, on the 16th of April, starting around 1800 zulu.

- The mission is heavily dependant on teamwork! Use SRS for in-game communications and be a useful teamplayer!

- You can reserve a slot for yourself and/or friends/squadron members.

Mission's changes' log:

- Tanks on both sides are now part of small group tanks. (This should reduce the amount of work for ground warfare operators.)

- Warehouses fixed.

- Player's and AI's waypoints optimised.

- Numbers of available aircraft and their weapons optimised:

- Beirut airbase: 24 x MiG-21's (instead of 36)

- Kiryat Shmona airbase: 12 x MiG-21's (instead of 16)

- Damascus airbase: 24 x F-14A's, 36 x F-5's (instead of 54) and 24 x MiG-29A's (note that there are 2 x F-14A slots and 4 x MiG-29A slots)

- King Hussein airbase: 36 x MiG-21's (note that F-14A, MiG-29A and F-5 pilots can land and leave their aircraft at King Hussein's)

- Ramat David airbase: 36 x F-15C's and 36 F-16C's (instead of 36 and 24)

- Theodore Roosevelt: 24 x F-18C's

- 36 x AIM-54A-MK47 and 40 x AIM-120B missiles (the latter only available for the F-18C's)

- F-14A's have also access to AIM-7M and AIM-9L missiles.

- F-15C's, F-16C's and F-18C's have also access to AIM-7M, AIM-7MH, AIM-9L and AIM-9M missiles.

- MiG-29A's have only access to R-27R, R-27T and R-60M missiles.

- MiG-21's and F-5's have access to their all-aspect AA missiles.

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

2 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

The mission is coming back online this Friday, on the 16th of April, starting around 1800 zulu.

- The mission is heavily dependant on teamwork! Use SRS for in-game communications and be a useful teamplayer!

- You can reserve a slot for yourself and/or friends/squadron members.

Mission's changes' log:

- Tanks on both sides are now part of small group tanks. (This should reduce the amount of work for ground warfare operators.)

- Warehouses fixed.

- Player's and AI's waypoints optimised.

- Numbers of available aircraft and their weapons optimised:

- Beirut airbase: 24 x MiG-21's (instead of 36)

- Kiryat Shmona airbase: 12 x MiG-21's (instead of 16)

- Damascus airbase: 24 x F-14A's, 36 x F-5's (instead of 54) and 24 x MiG-29A's (note that there are 2 x F-14A slots and 4 x MiG-29A slots)

- King Hussein airbase: 36 x MiG-21's (note that F-14A, MiG-29A and F-5 pilots can land and leave their aircraft at King Hussein's)

- Ramat David airbase: 36 x F-15C's and 36 F-16C's (instead of 36 and 24)

- Theodore Roosevelt: 24 x F-18C's

- 36 x AIM-54A-MK47 and 40 x AIM-120B missiles (the latter only available for the F-18C's)

- F-14A's have also access to AIM-7M and AIM-9L missiles.

- F-15C's, F-16C's and F-18C's have also access to AIM-7M, AIM-7MH, AIM-9L and AIM-9M missiles.

- MiG-29A's have only access to R-27R, R-27T and R-60M missiles.

- MiG-21's and F-5's have access to their all-aspect AA missiles.

Sounds awesome! But I have a question about mission date set in ME. As if its set before March 28th 1994 then GPS is not available and some F18 features (dont have F16 so Idk) are disabled/dont work

Edited by The_Tau

1 hour ago, The_Tau said:

Sounds awesome! But I have a question about mission date set in ME. As if its set before March 28th 1994 then GPS is not available and some F18 features (dont have F16 so Idk) are disabled/dont work

I'm not sure I fully understand you. You talk about the date of the mission then the GPS?!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

7 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

I'm not sure I fully understand you. You talk about the date of the mission then the GPS?!

He means that if the mission is set before 1994, then the F18 lacks GPS and I think its alignment is different. On another note, will blues have access to datalink? and is the f14 on red? Also where can I reserve slots?

Edited by Zachrix