How do they ALIGN INS quickly during a scramble???

CommandT

Just curious, how does one scramble a jet because there's a nuclear bomber incoming, without waiting 8 minutes for the INS to align? Is there a more quick align procedure? Coz I am always set and ready to go way before the alignment is complete in the F/A-18...

Unlike in DCS this function is usually not available in real life, as it requires the jet to be set up for this beforehand. This is exactly what would be done to jets on QRA duty though. I'm not talking Hornet specific here btw, as this is a function available in most INS equipped fighter jets (at least in the west).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

When you first start your INS alignment, look at the bottom of your HSI page for an option that says STHDG. This performs a stored heading alignment that instead of 8 minutes takes about 1 and a half minutes

Aaaah! Interesting. What is the procedure? You just press that and put the swtich into NAV? Also, does this work on a carrier?

Aaaah! Interesting. What is the procedure? You just press that and put the swtich into NAV? Also, does this work on a carrier?

You start your alignment (either GND or CVA depending on where you are) and then push the STHDG button. The alignment continues, but will now take 1.5 minutes instead of 8 minutes. After the alignment is complete you switch to NAV (if GPS is not available) or IFA.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

QRF aircraft would be pre flighted by the pilot and the ground crew when they get on duty. Things like INS would be spun up already and sit on ground power. Mission cartridges (not simulated in DCS...) would be inserted. Everything would be setup to the pilots liking so all they have to do is jump in and flip on the apu.

• Like 2

Got you, thanks guys! I see how this works now! I figured they must have a faster way of doing it in real life for QRA. Many thanks!

One side question, might sound stupid, but, is there some indication somewhere which shows if a GPS is available or not?

QRF aircraft would be pre flighted by the pilot and the ground crew when they get on duty. Things like INS would be spun up already and sit on ground power. Mission cartridges (not simulated in DCS...) would be inserted. Everything would be setup to the pilots liking so all they have to do is jump in and flip on the apu.

I worked on F-4E Phantoms in the 70's and 80's and our alert aircraft were aligned in place on the alert pad, and the position information stored. When they had to scramble for an intercept, the pilots used the HDG MEM mode during the INS alignment, which transferred the stored position information. The INS still had to warm up, but it normally took less than a minute, rather than the 3 to 4 minutes a normal alignment would take. By the time both engines were running, and all pins and down-locks were removed, the jets were ready to roll out of the alert pad and onto the runway. This was all with the AN/ASN-63, the same INS used in F-4D, F-4E, and F-4G Phantoms until the late 70's, early 80's, when the AN/ARN-101 Digital INS installations started with the F-4G's. I'm sure they had essentially instant (or nearly so) alignment.

Hardware: MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WiFi MB, i9-13900K @ 4.3GHz, 64GB DDR5, NVidia RTX 4090 24GB DDR6X, 2TB M.2 970 EVO Plus, 1TB SSD 850 EVO, Windows 11 Pro, HP Reverb G2, Tobii Head Tracker, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM F/A-18C Grip, TM Viper TQS Mission Pack, CH Pro Pedals.

Modules: A-10A, A-10C, F/A-18C, P-51D-50, Fw 190 A-8, Fw 190 D-9, Bf 109 K-4, Spitfire IX, Mosquito FB VI, AJS-37 Viggen, M-2000C, F-86F, F-15C, F-15E, F-5E, F-14A/B, L-39C, MiG-21bis, MiG-19P, MiG-29, SU-27, SU-33, AV-8B, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H, SA342, A-4E-C, NTTR, PG, CA, Normandy, Channel, Syria, Marianas, South Atlantic, WWII Assets Pack

I worked on F-4E Phantoms in the 70's and 80's and our alert aircraft were aligned in place on the alert pad, and the position information stored. When they had to scramble for an intercept, the pilots used the HDG MEM mode during the INS alignment, which transferred the stored position information. The INS still had to warm up, but it normally took less than a minute, rather than the 3 to 4 minutes a normal alignment would take. By the time both engines were running, and all pins and down-locks were removed, the jets were ready to roll out of the alert pad and onto the runway. This was all with the AN/ASN-63, the same INS used in F-4D, F-4E, and F-4G Phantoms until the late 70's, early 80's, when the AN/ARN-101 Digital INS installations started with the F-4G's. I'm sure they had essentially instant (or nearly so) alignment.

Sounds interesting! Thanks for sharing!

One side question, might sound stupid, but, is there some indication somewhere which shows if a GPS is available or not?

check out bullet point 9

Hi all,

We have introduced some fixes and improvements to the Hornet's INS modeling in the 2.5.6.53756 Open Beta. Here's an overview:

1. Previously, in scenarios where GPS is not available, it was necessary to perform a fix (such as TACAN) to complete INS alignment. This is no longer the case - initial alignment position in GND alignment mode is provided by the position of waypoint 0 instead of GPS. Normally, waypoint 0 coincides with the aircraft's initial position at mission start, but it may be edited in the HSI/DATA subpage as necessary prior to alignment. In CV alignment mode, initial position is provided automatically via RF (CV SINS) or manually by the pilot (CV MAN).
  2. Previously, INS alignment was not complete after 0.5 OK status was displayed in the HSI, and it was necessary to wait a little longer. This has been fixed: 0.5 OK status now indicates a complete and successful alignment.
  3. Alignment times have been tweaked: GND and CV alignment take around 8 minutes now. Stored heading option has been introduced, which reduces alignment time to about 90 seconds. GPS alignment has been introduced which takes around 10 minutes and can be performed on the ground and in flight.
  4. The stored heading alignment option can now be selected in the HSI when the INS switch is in the GND or CV position. As mentioned above, it reduces alignment time from about 8 minutes to about 90 seconds.
  5. GPS alignment has been introduced. When GPS is available and INS quality is less than 0.5 OK, GPS alignment can be performed by placing in the INS switch in the IFA position and observing the HSI indicates IFA GPS and a countdown. This type of alignment takes about 10 minutes.
  6. If the INS switch is moved to the NAV position without a complete alignment (ie status less than 0.5 OK), a crossed out ALGN advisory will be displayed in the left DDI.
  7. POS/AINS (GPS aided INS) position keeping mode has been introduced. If GPS is available, once alignment is complete, the INS switch should be moved to and kept in the IFA position as per the normal startup checklist. This enables POS/AINS mode which can be verified in the top left corner in the HSI. In POS/AINS mode, GPS is used in conjunction with INS to provide the position of the aircraft. If GPS is not available, the INS switch should be moved to and kept in the NAV position.
  8. If the INS switch is placed in the IFA position before INS alignment is complete, in-flight alignment mode will be entered. IFA GPS (with GPS available) or IFA RDR (with GPS not available) will be displayed in the HSI. In the first case, once alignment is complete, the IFA GPS legend will disappear and POS/AINS mode will be entered automatically. In the second case, once alignment is complete the INS switch should be moved back to the NAV position.
  9. If GPS is available and the INS switch is in the NAV position, a P/INS advisory will be displayed. This notifies the pilot that GPS is available but it is not being used to augment the INS because the INS switch is in the NAV position, and that it should be moved to the IFA position to enable POS/AINS mode.

• Like 2

Nobody likes me because I'm unsafe.