VR Hardware Benchmark late 2020 - Ryzen 2000/5000 - 1080ti vs 3080 vs 6800XT

JayRoc

8 hours ago, Hiromachi said:

Motion smoothing doesnt work for me unfortunately. It still consistently sits at around 60 FPS, going down / up depending on fight. And when frametime goes up above 14 ms, motion reprojection just doesnt work (red indicator appears). 

Are you on WMR non-beta, WMR beta or on WMR lkg? 

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

Okay now, i lost it. I unboxed my 3090 (which i didn't want to in first place) and tested it against the 6900XT.

Results are: The 6900 is the faster card (see the benches attached), but...

With the 3090 i didn't have the reprojection issues and i could maintain a rock solid 45fps even with higher frametimes (around 18ms). No stuttering at all. 

I also tried the "alt-tab mode" but with the 3090 it didn't make any difference.

It sad to say, but i will return my 6900XT and keep the 3090 for now. The reason is, i believe the issues we have are mostly driver issues with AMD which will possibly be fixed with further updates. But unless i'm not certain that it will be fixed, i have no reason to keep a beefy card, where i can't use all of it's potential! Since the GPU is a buy for DCS only (i don't play much other games) it would just make no sence. 

Maybe in the near future, when these issues are adressed and fixed, i will sell the 3090 and go for a 6800XT. But for now, that's really a no go.

Here is the bench of the NVIDIA, look at the frametimes...11.9ms Bench 3160 x 3100 @ RTX 3090.jpg

And here is the bench of the 6900XT (alt-tabbed mode). Better average FPS and better frametimes. Really a wonderful card, if it would not have these issues.

Bench 3160 x 3100 @ RX6900XT.jpg

Edited by exil
Added additional information
  • Like 1

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

Just now, Bbow said:

Following this thread with great interest. I was convinced that Nvidia was the way forward for my next GPU but now I'm thinking about getting a 6900XT....but then the last post says there are more stutters with AMD. AAAAargghh!

Not stutters, lack of smoothness. This isnt the same even though it may appear.

Anyway, Exil, I use SteamVr non beta and WMR for SteamVR beta. 

And yes, those are my observations too. Nvidia support for VR is generally better by the looks of it and that is signified by a number of features in Control Panel like max pre-rendered frames which you can adjust. AMD does not have anything like it in Adrenalin software.

The main issue we have though is related to either motion re-projection or actually motion smoothing. I've read threads on steam, regarding newest AMD and Nvidia gpus. It seems that Valve completely neglected release of RTX 3xxx / RX6800 series GPUs.

One thing to do, even when returning 6800XT Exil, would be to use bug reporting tool within AMD Adrenalin and SteamVR support to report all this issues. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

13 minutes ago, Bbow said:

Following this thread with great interest. I was convinced that Nvidia was the way forward for my next GPU but now I'm thinking about getting a 6900XT....but then the last post says there are more stutters with AMD. AAAAargghh!

It is not really a matter of stuttering. It is motion smoothing which to now is not working properly. 

To give you an example:

Besides of the benchmarks you are seeing in my post, I ran my personal bench with my preferences. A mission in Syria with the A10 starting at Ramat David. 

With the 6900XT and an SS of 150% (Reverb G1) I was barely able to hold the stable 45fps and motion smoothing on with dips to 30fps low level over city's, while frametimes was around 14-15ms. Normally you should see this behavior (fps down to 30) only when you reach more than 22.2ms frametimes. 

With the 3090 I set the SS to 206% (which means 100% of the Reverb G2) and the same ingame settings it was rock solid 45fps with motion smoothing on... And I can bump the settings up even more because I am still below 22.2ms where motion smoothing doesn't work anymore. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Hiromachi said:

Not stutters, lack of smoothness. This isnt the same even though it may appear.

Anyway, Exil, I use SteamVr non beta and WMR for SteamVR beta. 

And yes, those are my observations too. Nvidia support for VR is generally better by the looks of it and that is signified by a number of features in Control Panel like max pre-rendered frames which you can adjust. AMD does not have anything like it in Adrenalin software.

The main issue we have though is related to either motion re-projection or actually motion smoothing. I've read threads on steam, regarding newest AMD and Nvidia gpus. It seems that Valve completely neglected release of RTX 3xxx / RX6800 series GPUs.

One thing to do, even when returning 6800XT Exil, would be to use bug reporting tool within AMD Adrenalin and SteamVR support to report all this issues. 

If you want to you can try the following to lock or force motion smoothing on. First of all, i would opt in for SteamVr beta (inside steam, right click on steamvr -> settings -> betas).

Then you can do the following:

Settings.jpg

In WMR for SteamVr set it like you see in the screenshot. You can do it inside the VR environment or find it under the following path: D:\PROGRAMME\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\bin\win64 and open the OpenVRSettingsUX.exe 

Next, open DCS in VR an go to the SteamVr settings under "Video" and choose DCS as your application. Then select motion smoothing "force always on". This should lock your motion smoothing to 45fps and give you a much smoother experience.

Nevertheless, i will report the bugs to AMD and Steam. I really want the AMD's to work properly! These cards have so much potential, and if motion smoothing would have worked i would be a no brainer for me to keep the card.

Did you try different driver versions for the AMD? 

Before the new nvidia driver there was really bad studdering for the RTX in SteamVR. 

When comparing in the benchmarks the smoothness was way better with AMD. 

FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | SA342  R5 5600X | 32GB | RX 6800XT | TM Cougar | T-Rudder mk.IV | HP Reverb G2

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle USB standalone MOD

Well which driver did you use in given comparison ?

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /

23 minutes ago, JayRoc said:

Did you try different driver versions for the AMD? 

Before the new nvidia driver there was really bad studdering for the RTX in SteamVR. 

When comparing in the benchmarks the smoothness was way better with AMD. 

I'll give it a shot and report back. 

1 hour ago, exil said:

I'll give it a shot and report back. 

Okay, so i found out i can't do it. The latest AMD driver is the 20.12.1. Since support for the 6900XT was added with this driver, i can't take an earlier version. I tried but windows didn't reckognize my card.

@Hiromachi You could try this one since it this was the first driver to add support for the 6800 series:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-11-2

There is also a version 20.11.3 which i believe @JayRoc used.

I might, but its always a risk with older drivers. Also, 20.12.2 should not differ from JayRoc's 20.11.3 in other way than by adding Cooler Master RGB LED utility for AMD Radeon™ RX 6800XT and RX 6900XT cards, as stated in driver highlights.

Edit: Exil, we could also try this: 

"If you would like to check out the current state of this, you can set the following environment variable: STEAMVR_MOTION_AMD to 1. Then fully exit Steam and relaunch, and opt into the SteamVR[beta]. If the env var got picked up properly, when you navigate to Video in the SteamVR desktop settings, you should have a checkbox to enable Motion Smoothing. Verify you are in the beta by checking the version number is 1.3.1 or greater."

This is obviously one year old thing so it might not work at all but perhaps its worth checking. 

Edited by Hiromachi

43 minutes ago, Hiromachi said:

I might, but its always a risk with older drivers. Also, 20.12.2 should not differ from JayRoc's 20.11.3 in other way than by adding Cooler Master RGB LED utility for AMD Radeon™ RX 6800XT and RX 6900XT cards, as stated in driver highlights.

Edit: Exil, we could also try this: 

"If you would like to check out the current state of this, you can set the following environment variable: STEAMVR_MOTION_AMD to 1. Then fully exit Steam and relaunch, and opt into the SteamVR[beta]. If the env var got picked up properly, when you navigate to Video in the SteamVR desktop settings, you should have a checkbox to enable Motion Smoothing. Verify you are in the beta by checking the version number is 1.3.1 or greater."

This is obviously one year old thing so it might not work at all but perhaps its worth checking. 

Well, worth a try but I would rather bet on the driver option since it seemed to work properly for @JayRocand I think @Aureliuswrote something about how smooth it runs too. So, motion smoothing must have worked somehow.

Currently I am tweaking the 3090 and have to send the 6900 back by tomorrow latest. I'll see what I can do but I have to swap cards again. 

Bah just as I was waiting for the 6800xt to come back in stock. 

I might just wait a few more months and see what the 3080ti brings. 

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

6 hours ago, exil said:

It is not really a matter of stuttering. It is motion smoothing which to now is not working properly. 

To give you an example:

Besides of the benchmarks you are seeing in my post, I ran my personal bench with my preferences. A mission in Syria with the A10 starting at Ramat David. 

With the 6900XT and an SS of 150% (Reverb G1) I was barely able to hold the stable 45fps and motion smoothing on with dips to 30fps low level over city's, while frametimes was around 14-15ms. Normally you should see this behavior (fps down to 30) only when you reach more than 22.2ms frametimes. 

With the 3090 I set the SS to 206% (which means 100% of the Reverb G2) and the same ingame settings it was rock solid 45fps with motion smoothing on... And I can bump the settings up even more because I am still below 22.2ms where motion smoothing doesn't work anymore. 

Have you tried to put motion smoothing to alway on?

I used to do in the past with the Index and seemed to help

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

2 minutes ago, VirusAM said:

Have you tried to put motion smoothing to alway on?

I used to do in the past with the Index and seemed to help

Yes, just check some comments from me above. The whole motion smoothing is bugged right now. 

I think I have the exact same problem, whenever I set my supersampling a little higher the graph on SteamVR keeps spiking between red and green with terrible stuttering.

Edited by otavio

Ryzen 5 3600x @ GTX 1070 on Samsung Odyssey+

:joystick:

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder

Pedals, TrackIR 4 Pro

3 minutes ago, otavio said:

I think I have the exact same problem, whenever I set my supersampling a little higher the graph on SteamVR keeps spiking between red and green with terrible stuttering.

Well I am not in the red at all. Even in the yellow (15ms) it starts to stutter. 

What card do you use? 

2 minutes ago, exil said:

Well I am not in the red at all. Even in the yellow (15ms) it starts to stutter. 

What card do you use? 

RX 6800

The funny part is, even at 15-16 ms frametimes it keeps spiking between green and red when it shouldn't. My cpu framtimes are always in at the 9-10 ms range.

Edited by otavio

Pedals, TrackIR 4 Pro

36 minutes ago, otavio said:

RX 6800

The funny part is, even at 15-16 ms frametimes it keeps spiking between green and red when it shouldn't. My cpu framtimes are always in at the 9-10 ms range.

Then, yes. Welcome to the club 😉

With your 6800 you could try to revert to old drivers as mentioned above an see if that helps. 

So 3090 RTX for HP G2?

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

Just now, exil said:

Then, yes. Welcome to the club 😉

With your 6800 you could try to revert to old drivers as mentioned above an see if that helps. 

I tried both available drivers with the same results.

Pedals, TrackIR 4 Pro

5 minutes ago, C3PO said:

So 3090 RTX for HP G2?

If you have too much money and want to sponsor a new car for Jensen Huang, thank feel free. 3080Ti coming in a month or two will be far better investment providing the same performance as 3090 for 500 $ less. 

• Like 2