Hey Eagle Dynamics, please update to the year 2020

fastfed

Been with DCS from the beginning and never complained, but since files are getting bigger and bigger, I think its time they update their servers.

I mean downloading at 1-2mbps is a joke and IMO there is no excuse for it. I get steam probably has a ton more money and that's why we can get 40+mbps downloads but even GOG and others I get at least 10-20

this is really pathetic and feels like dialup days

I get my max speed of 100Mbits when downloading updates. The updates are torrent based, meaning peer to peer. The more people are downloading them, the better. If you are getting slow download rates, you are probably downloading something not a lot of people are downloading anymore.

When installing DCS on an Azure VM, I get 100MB/s+ download speeds.

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

• ED Team
9 hours ago, fastfed said:

Been with DCS from the beginning and never complained, but since files are getting bigger and bigger, I think its time they update their servers.

I mean downloading at 1-2mbps is a joke and IMO there is no excuse for it. I get steam probably has a ton more money and that's why we can get 40+mbps downloads but even GOG and others I get at least 10-20

this is really pathetic and feels like dialup days

We now use a CDN service, I can get connections speed from 6 - 15mbps and I am in a small village in the UK, you may have a local issue to the closest CDN

if you are having problems use the trouble shooter here 

please keep the feedback constructive when posting. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

In the UK I normally get 25MB+

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

The basic download for DCS World is around 40 Gigabytes. Modern dial-up modems typically have a maximum theoretical transfer speed of 56 kbit/s although in most cases, 40–50 kbit/s is the norm. Factors such as phone line noise as well as the quality of the modem itself play a large part in determining connection speeds.

At dialup speeds, 40GB would take (40GB/56Kb/s) around 5,714,285 seconds or 1,587 hours to download. That's about two months or so of non-stop downloading.

Here in Toronto, if I can afford it... which I can't... I can get 1Gbps. In reality, I pay for 150 Mbps but consistently get 200 Mbps. Earlier this year, I had a new gaming rig built and I installed DCS fresh. One half hour for the download.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

25MB a second which is unrestricted throughput from my provider, which beats Steam servers, amongst the fastest downloading of updates of any software on the internet, certainly faster than the company I work for terrible customer portals. The updater also doesnt look pretty but its also better than most commercial software, lean, to the point and moves like lightning.

World class delivery imo. So possible the issue lies elsewhere I would say.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Interesting...  I have a 200Mb connection and from other places I get all of that and more (usually 27-30MB/s from Steam) but for DCS I've been at like 1.5-2MB/s for a long time now.  At least since early this year.  I had to do a full re-install the other day (Hornet UFC display bug) and I had to let it run overnight to get just Caucasus and Hornet to make sure the problem went away, then overnight to get the rest of the modules, then overnight again to get PG and Syria...  Still haven't gone and downloaded Normandy, Channel and Nevada...

I've tried pressing cancel to force HTTPS download but I get the same thing.

I'll try that troubleshooter...

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

• ED Team
2 hours ago, M1Combat said:

Interesting...  I have a 200Mb connection and from other places I get all of that and more (usually 27-30MB/s from Steam) but for DCS I've been at like 1.5-2MB/s for a long time now.

Please, contact the support. They will provide you with debug URLs.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Sitting in Austria here. Honestly, I never ever had antything higher than 1.5MB/s when downloading a DCS-update.
(every other game I own updates at much faster speeds. At least 10 times faster than DCS.)
Maybe ED is using aged crappy servers here in central europe.

Edited by JumpinK

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

32 minutes ago, JumpinK said:

Sitting in Austria here. Honestly, I never ever had antything higher than 1.5MB/s when downloading a DCS-update.
(every other game I own updates at much faster speeds. At least 10 times faster than DCS.)
Maybe ED is using aged crappy servers here in central europe.

Numbers from different users are too similar for it to be coincidence, ~1,5 mb/s if borked and ~25 at"full speed" + on VPN my speed sat at around 10mb/s. 

Im from Central Europe(Poland) too, so its probably not their server, at least not speed-wise. 

You can check that TCP auto-tunning I linked above, should be enabled by default tho - but it was off in my case. 🤷‍♂️

really wish DCS would go back to using torrents, I am not alone, I have a bunch of friends and we all get horrible downloads. WONSZOV I did what you said, no change.

I'm at 1.5 now just like ysterday for the new map, now this update.

Please fix this DCS!

I am on standalone and stuck at 50kbps downloading the update. I have fast internet and nothing wrong with it atm. Is there any alternative to download the update? Gonna take me weeks at this rate

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Same here, this is super fast on my rig.

We need to find what you guys with slow DCS downloading speed have in common.

1. Are you using a VPN?
  2. Have you ensured Receive Window auto-tuning is turned ON? If yes, try turning it off and see if it's any better ( netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled )*.
  3. What is your antivirus?
  4. What is your active firewall?
  5. Is your PC behind a proxy?

*You can re-enable Receive Window auto-tuning with this command: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.