13 minutes ago, corbu1 said:

Hello,

Wow, looks very cool. Keep up the great work!👍👍👍

How did you get the dimensions of the cockpit panels?

Virpil teased first pictures of their Apache collective a few days ago. So chances are high they will release one.

They said release planned for Q3 in their forums.

Hi corbu1,

Thanks for the compliment.

Copied them straight off the PC Flights website.  I may purchase their panels at some point, but I would need to some mods to fit my hardware, mainly the "korry" style switches and the power panel.

I didnt see the Virpil post - Ill have to check it out!

vor 15 Minuten schrieb Hellraiser:

Hi corbu1,

Thanks for the compliment.

Copied them straight off the PC Flights website.  I may purchase their panels at some point, but I would need to some mods to fit my hardware, mainly the "korry" style switches and the power panel.

I didnt see the Virpil post - Ill have to check it out!

Here‘s the actual link to the Apache Collective tease: https://forum.virpil.com/index.php?/topic/16326-behind-the-scenes-at-the-virpil-controls-hq/

It‘s only two pictures which seem showing a prototype of the collective grip……But that is already good news.

As @Scott-S6 already said in other threads Virpil mentioned the release in Q3 2023.

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

Of course, now that I've just purchased the winwing base...lol.

Virpil products do look great though and reasonably priced so I will be watching this with interest.  I've seen the MaxflightStick one but very little info about their products so Id be hesitant to take a gamble on them.

I think my DIY effort is coming along nicely, so I want to finish it and see how I feel about it.  But ultimately I do want to make everything exact so I will , no doubt, end up purchasing a commercial product.

I've seen the 3D print model floating around, but since I possess zero skills in that department and don't even have a 3d printer, that option is out for now.

• Like 1

Couple more pics;

I was pretty surprised at how my temporary panels came out for my desktop TBM900 when I built it - I needed something quick and cheap at the time, and I had planned on purchasing some professional panels - but in the end decided to keep my DIY ones.  This is also what I have planned for the AH64 panels for now.  But since Ive gone this far with the build, and considering Apache's usually fly and fight at night I will definitely replace them at some point so I can have proper backlit panels.

You may also notice the center panel - it is not like the real one ( straight ) as my EC135 cyclic has a pretty big curve in the pole - at full forward it was hitting the panel so I had to improvise a new one while keeping the wiper and check overspeed panels where they should be. 

I also wanted to keep the simpit down to 2 monitors only.  Im using an LG widescreen behind the MPD's, and it was long enough to include the standby gauges but not long enough to give me the realistic space between the MPD and the gauges as you would see in the real cockpit - a minor deviation but saves me having to have multiple monitors.  Wanted to keep things on the simple side.  The EUFD uses the second monitor, a 7" screen.

I've decided to place Flares panels on the lower right console - I did actually build the case for it and the structure to put it on top of the glare shield, but this would need another monitor and Im undecided on how I will be tackling that issue at the moment.  I figure as long as I have the actual switches this might suffice for now.

The glare shield was.....fun.  Not.  I toyed around with many ideas, mainly on fiberglass but Im not that experienced with fiber glassing so went with the tried and true mdf kerfing.  I need to do a couple of fill and sands but it will come out nice thats for sure.  As the Apache has the somewhat "iconic" double glare shield, I may just yet go with a fiberglass experiment for the top glare shield when the time comes.....

Simpit 1.jpg

Simpit 2.jpg

Simpit 3.jpg

Simpit 4.jpg

Simpit 5.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you for your detailed report! That‘s a beautiful project you are doing. 👍

you already mentioned the Total Controls KU which I‘m waiting for as well and will definitely purchase it. The MPD’s from them are great quality , so I also expect the KU as a good one! Tec Creations did already one, but looks not as authentic as the TC‘s device.

The glare shield looks great so far. If you do the second top one as well, will you mount it moveable as this shield can be slided to the Plt‘s position? 

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

Lads,

For those who know or follow Karl at DIY737, he has made the Apache Power Panel with the throttle.  Im tempted to buy the design and make it, but as I have just finished my "saitek" version I want to see how I feel about it before spending more cash.  My feeling though is this is just the start as he has also (finally) started making helicopter parts.  I would not be surprised if he makes the collective and cyclic.  

Im planning on buying his Korry switches, as he nows sells them premade out of resin and laser etched faceplates and they are by far the cheapest around if you compare against others like opencockpits.  

Anyway just a heads up in case people were not aware of his website.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Successes and failures.......

Been busy with real life lately but have managed to get the following done

• All sanding and filling done, pit painted
  • Collective done
  • Backlighting panels done on the interior
  • Temp panels done ( failed )
  • Korry switches ordered
  • Confirmed PC Flights will do custom cut panels for the Korrys
  • All switches, encoders etc arrived from AliExpress

Failures.

Unfortunately I ruined a couple of the temp panels with some spray can clear coat which did not mix well with the paint and bubbled.  Not to worried though as I will be purchasing the PC Flights panels soon.  I purchased the Korry switches off DIY737 and Karl even made the switch covers for me.  They will serve for now to give me an idea for the wiring harness size.

The collective was a bit of a challenge, mainly the soldering to the Leo Bodnar micro usb boards as Im not the worlds best solderer.  Sadly, once assembled 2 switches have failed, I suspect from bad soldering to the board.  I did manage to add an extra switch ( not on the real thing ) so at least that compensated.  Also, I am just using rubber motorcycle grips and trying to drill a nice hole through that is next to impossible.  I made a mess of it and will be replacing them shortly.

Also, do not use the Alps 5 way navigation switch with encoder and push button.  It took me forever to figure out the wiring, and it turns out the push button is always "on" - long story short, you cant use the push button switch as intended.  The rotary encoder is useless.  However for straight up and down, left to right functionality they are pretty good with a nice tactile click

KU Housing - also I did not leave enough room to build the KU housing - Total Controls were kind enough to send me the dimensions of their upcoming unit - unfortunately its larger than I thought it would be, and enclosing it is not going to work - but I will just mount it like you would with a tablet.  I have to sometimes remember Im not building a real helicopter!!

Successes

The collective works!  Almost all switches are represented and in the correct position of the real thing, the Wingwing base works great and I recalibrated it so it uses the full length of travel.  So that will do for now until I decide which commercial product I will buy ( probably Virpil ) or make if someone comes out with a solid design for 3d printing.

Korrys from Karl - he made the korry switches for me for the APU, Armament and Fire Detection panel - because these are the ones with dual LEDS in them and top and bottom text.  He was also kind enough to also make the switch covers.  That guy is a rock star!  Not to start any rumors, but he did mention something was currently printing ( not saying what....)

PC Flights also confirmed they will modify their panels to fit the Korrys - so will be placing an order soon for the full panel set which can be backlighted.

Hardware - Ive purchased as many switches, toggles etc with pcb boards and pins - I want to make everything as plug and play as possible.  The less soldering the better as far as Im concerned!

So I will try to get more pics up soon, but here is a couple of the collective and Korrys;

More to follow.

Jonathan.

20230430_202336.jpg

20230430_202356.jpg

20230430_202406.jpg

20230430_202442.jpg

20230430_202538.jpg

20230424_220136.jpg

20230424_220152.jpg

20230424_225713.jpg

20230428_105559.jpg

20230428_105620.jpg

• Like 3

Progress looks very cool! Great setup!!👍❤️

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/7/2023 at 8:26 PM, Hellraiser said:

Couple more pics;

I was pretty surprised at how my temporary panels came out for my desktop TBM900 when I built it - I needed something quick and cheap at the time, and I had planned on purchasing some professional panels - but in the end decided to keep my DIY ones.  This is also what I have planned for the AH64 panels for now.  But since Ive gone this far with the build, and considering Apache's usually fly and fight at night I will definitely replace them at some point so I can have proper backlit panels.

You may also notice the center panel - it is not like the real one ( straight ) as my EC135 cyclic has a pretty big curve in the pole - at full forward it was hitting the panel so I had to improvise a new one while keeping the wiper and check overspeed panels where they should be. 

I also wanted to keep the simpit down to 2 monitors only.  Im using an LG widescreen behind the MPD's, and it was long enough to include the standby gauges but not long enough to give me the realistic space between the MPD and the gauges as you would see in the real cockpit - a minor deviation but saves me having to have multiple monitors.  Wanted to keep things on the simple side.  The EUFD uses the second monitor, a 7" screen.

I've decided to place Flares panels on the lower right console - I did actually build the case for it and the structure to put it on top of the glare shield, but this would need another monitor and Im undecided on how I will be tackling that issue at the moment.  I figure as long as I have the actual switches this might suffice for now.

The glare shield was.....fun.  Not.  I toyed around with many ideas, mainly on fiberglass but Im not that experienced with fiber glassing so went with the tried and true mdf kerfing.  I need to do a couple of fill and sands but it will come out nice thats for sure.  As the Apache has the somewhat "iconic" double glare shield, I may just yet go with a fiberglass experiment for the top glare shield when the time comes.....

Simpit 1.jpg

Simpit 2.jpg

Simpit 3.jpg

Simpit 4.jpg

Simpit 5.jpg

Nice work. Do you have any measured drawings that you'd share with the community?

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2022 at 10:08 PM, TripRodriguez said:

I'm looking forward to more updates on this thread, and hopefully (as others have requested) the files being shared.  I have 3D printers, a small CO2 laser, and a large CNC router kit I've yet to assemble.  I hope to start on the Apache full simpit build reasonably soon.  Thanks for sharing your project @RedskinMike

PS- I've used F360 a bit, but my skills are laughable and even the little I had learned to fumble my way through has been forgotten over the past two years while I had absolutely no time for hobby stuff due to personal stuff.  

It's a bit late, but I've read somewhere that it's a 3º angle each one of them, so that would make them to be in an angle of 174º (180º would be totally flat panel).

I'm also looking to build a cockpit, so I would love to have panel dimensions too. I guess knowing the size of the MPCDs you could actually extrapolate the aproximate panel size. For a game cockpit, I guess it doesn't need to be 100% accurate.

If anyone could share the approximate left console panel dimensions, at least height and width. Or even better, share the panel files themselves, as I've seen in this post such a nice work by @RedskinMike and @Lobinjaevel.

I already have a TEDAC, a Collective and the MPCD's are at 95%