The F16 has almost the worst FLIR image

Ignition

Sometimes its impossible to distinguish a tank from a background texture and its almost useless. The only plane who has the worst TGP is the F-14 with its old LANTIRN.
I know targeting pods aren't perfect but its so difficult sometimes, tanks blending with square textures in the back or glowing trees, plus the small mfd of the F16 makes a pain everytime I need to use it to search for vehicles.

I know ED is doing the new FLIR but meanwhile I think this system could be impoved. How long is going to take the new FLIR? I guess it will be another "ground radar development" era, like 5 years and having just a better image quality while we wait would be nice.

• Like 2

Perfectly realistic. FLIR IRL is far from the neat, sharp image we're used to. I wish the Hornet did that, too. We should be able to fiddle with contrast, gain and focus, but overall, don't expect a clear, perfect image. If anything, the new FLIR will be even harder to use.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Perfectly realistic. FLIR IRL is far from the neat, sharp image we're used to. I wish the Hornet did that, too. We should be able to fiddle with contrast, gain and focus, but overall, don't expect a clear, perfect image. If anything, the new FLIR will be even harder to use.

Agreed.  To many here use Hollywood as a frame of reference.  Military kit is often bugged, unreliable and less capable than (some) civvy stuff due to long procurement times and ever changing design briefs.

See the source image

• Like 2

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

It's just that the Viper FLIR image is better developed than the others. Same with the Mavs. They should require alignment on every airframe that can use them with the TGP. IMO, they should get the devs to make it all consistent, bring the Hog and the Hornet to the same standard.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dragon1-1 said:

It's just that the Viper FLIR image is better developed than the others. Same with the Mavs. They should require alignment on every airframe that can use them with the TGP. IMO, they should get the devs to make it all consistent, bring the Hog and the Hornet to the same standard.

I have recollection that the new FLIR is coming soon (project started a long time ago) and it should change all modules then. So likely there will then be a short period when the module developers implement new systems, but it should be fairly short period. 

Is it possible that F-16 is already adding some of the fruits of the development, as being a test subject or something for some of the new coming changes?

But totally all modules with targeting pod should come with that alignment feature (but again, it should be possible be disabled in the mission difficulty settings so those who want it pre-aligned could get it so). 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yeah, TBH the F16 pod is one of the better done ones. I'm hoping that ED just redoes all the TGP's at once (and 3rd parties too), with the coming new "FLIR" model. Which hopefully will simulate some of the actual shortcomings of these systems have IRL. But as we have seen in the ATFLIR v Litening discussion, lots of players don't want that "Challenge".

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Did you tried it in caucasus? sometimes its really easy to mistake a background texture from the ground with a tank! specially in BH, in WH not so much but still. Its not about "challenge".

And yes all modules should be similar because its geting out of hand with all the disparities across all modules, from radar ranges, FLIR, same system or weapon simulation...

That's exactly how it is IRL, and is why you have multiple polarizations. If the conditions are right, a tank looks pretty darn similar to a bunch of roadside scrap heated by the sun. TGPs, especially older ones, should be greatly limited in resolution, there are times when a TV camera is better than FLIR.

The inconsistencies between modules should be ironed out, but what we get should be more like what we have on the Viper right now. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I want to clarify just in case, I made this thread in may 2021 with the old FLIR and it had a bug. Depending on the time of day it was imposible to see anything.

The new one is better but the AGC or is not working or it's useless. I usually go around -4 brightness +4 contrast -2L to the gain.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 3:52 PM, rcjonessnp175 said:

going to get back into viper, has the new flir been implemented into the TGP ?

It's allegedly "partially" implemented, but so far I'm having trouble finding what elements of the new FLIR are present, if any.

• The vehicles don't use the new FLIR textures.
  • The textures they do use aren't dynamic - vehicles don't get hotter after driving, whereas they do for modules equipped with the new FLIR.
  • There's no new FLIR effects (such as the new IR exhaust plume).
  • In some instances, the FLIR looks like TV, echoing issues seen in the 23rd of March update (only now for BHOT rather than WHOT, as the polarity was inverted).

See this thread.

• Like 4

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F-4E, Mi-24P, AJS 37, AV-8B N/A, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.