Transfer steerpoints from the F10 map into the aircraft - DCS: The Way

Comrade Doge

> VR

*Assuming* the cursor position -> coordinate lua stuff continues to work in VR, if you have a graphics tablet (think wacom or huion, not 'phone' or 'microsoft surface/ipad') this should 'just work' using https://openkneeboard.com/features/window-capture.html to capture the DcsTheWay window, using the graphics tablet to press the buttons.

I've not tested as I mostly play with the heavily scripted campaigns with all the necessary waypoints preloaded.

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help
HTCC - Quest hand tracking for DCS; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

hmmm this is a great idea and I do use a Wacom tablet on a kneeboard with OpenKneeboard

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Hello,

I tried this mod but in my openbeta version there is no scripts folder in savedgames so i cannot edit the export.lua. And if i make a folder with a export.lua file in it and edit is with

"local TheWayLfs=require('lfs'); dofile(TheWayLfs.writedir()..'Scripts/TheWay.lua')" is still say "No connection to DCS detected"

Even tried in the main folder openbeta/scripts and and edit export.lua and add the way.lua but a no go.

What do I wrong Or is it not working with 2.8.3

Edited by Leonski

The Way DCS

This system reminds me of the current AV8B Harrier procedure for loading preplanned targets. Using the “mark label” button, targets are selected. I use voice attack to type in the target number in each point and also for the “transmit” RShft+RAlt+8 command to load in the aircraft. Would it be possible to create a keyboard command that would pull up “TheWay.exe” using voice attack in VR? (ie.create the shortcut and edit with custom keyboard command). Then use mouse control to run the App(similar to scratchpad). Just a thought……….

Edited by greyeagle787

Works great for me with Apache and F/A-18 with one small catch, in the F-18 the first waypoint always ends up mostly blank. It gets the elevation data but leaves Lat & Long blank. Easy enough to get around by just selecting two identical waypoints on the map for the first point but just thought I'd point it out.  

50 minutes ago, HungryCoyote said:

Any chance we can get the Hercules mod added?

@Leonski

I got that   "No connection to DCS detected". Restarted computer and it has worked ever since.

I'll see what I can do, but at the moment the priority is releasing the V2 version with already existing modules

• Like 2

Hi,

I tried installing it but when i try start the application it says: Application requires Java Runtime environment 11.

Is this known? Do i really need to get JAVA stuff for it to work (hear no one about it).

Regards!

Edited by Michel0079

33 minutes ago, Michel0079 said:

Hi,

I tried installing it but when i try start the application it says: Application requires Java Runtime environment 11.

Is this known? Do i really need to get JAVA stuff for it to work (hear no one about it).

Regards!

Hello, it is due to the fact that you moved the .exe away from the JRE folder (which contains Java). You can place them side by side and it will work.

In the future version this will no longer be necessary

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Comrade Doge said:

Hello, it is due to the fact that you moved the .exe away from the JRE folder (which contains Java). You can place them side by side and it will work.

In the future version this will no longer be necessary

Thx for the quick helpout! It starts now.

1 minute ago, Michel0079 said:

Is there a VR mode planned for this BTW? It is not working Virtual Desktop with my VR setup.

While developing the new version,i have tried adding in keybinds to help with that, however that has proven hard to achieve, since DCS is the window in focus, and it does not allow to listen for keybinds outside of it. Adding global key listeners would also mean triggering anti virus softwares. So until a better method is found, I am not sure how VR users will be able to use it.

• Like 1

I don't see the dot in VR, so doing it while peeking from under the headset is just about as annoying as just punching the stuff by hand in anyway.

Multiple software hooks for a keyboard/gamepad button presses while DCS is in focus and doesn't trigger antiviruses - AHK, VoiceAttack, LuaMacros, SRS, etc. So definitely possible. 😉 You could also use parameters - then we could bind stuff in VA, etc, and we'd call, as an example: "theway.exe -start", "theway.exe -add_point", "theway.exe -clear" or "theway.exe -punch_it_in". The instance run with a parameter would communicate with the main instance and tell it what to do.

Just an idea. Very cool program, wish I could use it. 😉

Edited by Xupicor
  • Windows 11 Pro, RTX4090 (24GB), 5950X @ 4.3GHz, 64GB RAM @ 3000MHz, M.2 SSD 8TB, Pimax Crystal
  • Modules and maps: All of 'em. (It's a problem...)

9 minutes ago, Xupicor said:

I don't see the dot in VR, so doing it while peeking from under the headset is just about as annoying as just punching the stuff by hand in anyway.

Multiple software hooks for a keyboard/gamepad button presses while DCS is in focus and doesn't trigger antiviruses - AHK, VoiceAttack, LuaMacros, SRS, etc. So definitely possible. 😉 You could also use parameters - then we could bind stuff in VA, etc, and we'd call, as an example: "theway.exe -start", "theway.exe -add_point", "theway.exe -clear" or "theway.exe -punch_it_in". The instance run with a parameter would communicate with the main instance and tell it what to do.

Just an idea. Very cool program, wish I could use it. 😉

I will try and explore further possibilities, to see how I can implement those in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Comrade Doge said:

While developing the new version,i have tried adding in keybinds to help with that, however that has proven hard to achieve, since DCS is the window in focus, and it does not allow to listen for keybinds outside of it. Adding global key listeners would also mean triggering anti virus softwares. So until a better method is found, I am not sure how VR users will be able to use it.

I would kindly guide you to have a look at In-Game Scratchpad Mod Available - Works Great In VR! It works exactly the same in VR as without.

In short, you can center the F10 map over a center-dot the app provided and then mouse-click the button to transfer the location coordinates at the dot to an own file in all formats the aircraft you are flying might use. The contents of the file is always available to be read, like having an extra kneeboard. In fact, you can have at least 10 pages like list and they persist from session to session, as the files reside in their own folder under your Saved Games\DCS folder.

Of course in doesn't translate any inputs to the cockpit button, or whatever method you are using, but maybe this project can give you an idea to solve your issues.

• Like 1

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

15 hours ago, Comrade Doge said:

Thanks for the suggestions.

One more then. 😉 Since the Scratchpad mod already is doing such a great job at selecting stuff on the map and dumping coords to file - in flat and VR both - and that's just by using lua script - could you either mimic it or possibly work with it? I'd love it if I could point at a scratchpad file in TheWay where my coordinates are and TheWay would then parse them, take the ones it needs for a given module and punch them in.

Using Lua I can do the parsing part and I'm trying to do the punching in with DCS-BIOS, but there are some issues roadblocking me at the moment. My solution would still need an external app - DCS BIOS - which I have no problem using, but it's there just for one function, basically. You could do it better and already have a working infrastructure. If you could make an option for using a file that would work with coordinates spat out by the Scratchpad mod, that would be quite awesome. Even better if you could incorporate or learn from Scratchpad's method of getting the coordinates since it works for VR too.

• Windows 11 Pro, RTX4090 (24GB), 5950X @ 4.3GHz, 64GB RAM @ 3000MHz, M.2 SSD 8TB, Pimax Crystal
  • Modules and maps: All of 'em. (It's a problem...)