New Pilot - C-101CC Low Power, difficult to gain altitude

knomie72

Hi All,

Is the C0-101CC underpowered?  Even with reduced full and partial loadout i am having a difficult time getting of the ground and it flies like a dog.

Am i doing something wrong or is this the characteristics of the plane?

Also is there a manual or training for the CC? I did some of the EB training missions but the CC is obviously a bit different.  

This is a straight wing training jet, not really underpowered but certainly nowhere near a modern fighter jet. Are you enabling the Manual Power Reserve switch on take-off? It adds around 10% extra power for a limited time .. handy for loaded take-offs.

Also, this aircraft has a really long range, so you don't really need to have it with full fuel, I regularly flew all the campaign missions with 60-70% starting fuel.

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia RTX2080 - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Not at all.  The C101 has plenty of power to achieve its designed purpose.  If you are thinking an F16 is an "airplane" rather than the computer controlled rocket that it really is then I can see why you might be confused.  The C101 uses aerodynamics rather than brute force and fancy computers to do its job.

"Am i doing something wrong or is this the characteristics of the plane?"  Its not characteristic of the plane so...  hard to tell without knowing what you are doing.

To be fair, the initial rollout is long.  It doesn't accelerate very fast.  Once at rotation speed it lifts off easily.  Keep the nose around 7 degrees above the horizon until it accelerates to 140-160 knots and by then you should be seeing several thousand feet per minute climb.  

A year after I bought the module I still forget the Manual Power Reserve.  I am a bad pilot.

• Like 2

Yep, what others have said. By 4th gen fighter standards yes, it's underpowered. By trainer/light attack aircraft standards, it's perfectly fine.

27 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

for a limited time

In the CC you can keep it on indefinitely 🙂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TLTeo said:

In the CC you can keep it on indefinitely 🙂

you mean on DCS ... in real life the pilot is limited to no more than 5 minutes in MPR, this is from the Garret manual:

"Manual Performance Reserve. (MPR Civilian Aircraft)
MPR provides increased thrust for the TFE731-5AR engine based on ambient temperature.The MPR rating is available at all altitudes and is intended to provide additional hot day thrust for takeoff conditions only and will be available for the full five minute takeoff rating period. MPR is activated and deactivated via a cockpit switch."

While this is meant for civil use of the engine, I don’t see why it wouldn’t apply to military uses.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia RTX2080 - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

you mean on DCS

Nop, Aviodev have said repeatedly that that's the case IRL as well, from their talks -CC pilots. In the -EB yes, you only get five minutes.

Edited by TLTeo
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, TLTeo said:

Nop, Aviodev have said repeatedly that that's the case IRL as well, from their talks -CC pilots. In the -EB yes, you only get five minutes.

I guess it depends on how you interpret "will be available for the full five minute takeoff rating period".  Does it mean you shouldn't exceed 5 minutes or does it mean that you can get at least 5 minutes use from it?

Edited by kontiuka

6 hours ago, Andurula said:

A year after I bought the module I still forget the Manual Power Reserve.  I am a bad pilot.

OOPS! Is there an Emergency Power? What a shame of a pilot I am  🙄! Checking right now for it and bind to the HOTAS.

Saludos, 

Saca111

• Like 2

Thanks all.  Will be looking for the Manual Power Reserve function this evening.

And yes, perhaps i was expecting to be zooming around a bit more zippy.  I like the computer controller rocket reference for the F16..lol  

I got the C-101 since it appears to be the recommended trainer. I guess relatively low power might make one think better about things rather than rely on thrust only.

My 7 year keeps wanting to fly but has not the patience for 'all the buttons' to get it done right.  Anybody have a suggestion for a 'simply' flight sim for him where he can just 'fly and blow stuff up'?

One additional question:

- when i set it to rockets and switch the HUD on i dont get the 'reticul' untill i pitch way up at which point it sort of comes into sigh.... also the rockets appear to fly off sort of high... it's like it's configured upside down somehow...any ideas?

Edited by knomie72
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, knomie72 said:

One additional question:

- when i set it to rockets and switch the HUD on i dont get the 'reticul' untill i pitch way up at which point it sort of comes into sigh.... also the rockets appear to fly off sort of high... it's like it's configured upside down somehow...any ideas?

You're likely in gyroscopic air-to-air mode.  Set the switch below the gun sight to manual for bombing and rockets and strafing.  Then set your depression to whatever works for you.  For rockets, I personally set it to 025 which gives me pretty good results when I dive in on a target at a 30 degree dive angle and 300 kts.  For bombing, I set it to 110 and for ground strafing I just set it to 010.  Takes a bit of practice and trial and error to see what works for you.  Also, you can lower the seat to see the reticle better.

Edited by kontiuka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, knomie72 said:

I got the C-101 since it appears to be the recommended trainer. I guess relatively low power might make one think better about things rather than rely on thrust only.

Once you learn to win dogfights in the C101 consistently you should have no problem understanding how to win dogfights in any fighter jet really.

It is such a solid platform to learn from although in terms of jumping onto DCS and dropping bombs and stuff it is one of the more involved aircraft as you have to calculate everything manually and fly precisely to achieve the desired results.

Edited by Bagpipe
  • Like 1

To be fair, I actually find the C-101CC to be a decent bombing platform. It's so bloody slow that even if you're off a bit on your parameters, the difference in where your bombs land is way smaller than e.g. the F-5 or Mig-19.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kontiuka said:

Also, you can lower the seat to see the reticle better.

lol, yep...that was it.  Thank you kind stranger.  Apparently my sim alter ego is a munchkin.

Edited by knomie72
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, knomie72 said:

lol, yep...that was it.  Thank you kind stranger.  Apparently my sim alter ego is a munchkin.

Hi.

Iwas going to point that, but someone already did. I meant to raise the seat, not the munchkin thing (whatever it is...)

Saludos.

Saca111

On 5/26/2021 at 2:57 PM, knomie72 said:

One additional question:

Default key bind to lower the seat is RCtrl + S (RCtrl to raise the seat) I usually lower the seat a bit until I can see the reticule in the top quarter of the sight, that gives me enough over the nose visibility.  Note that this is in manual mode with a depression set about 035 for rockets.