Kneeboard folder for Syria map PLS

303_Vins

1 hour ago, Minsky said:

It's not about the number of lines.

To deliver this trivial fix, they must first compile the map from the current dev build.

This build certainly has other untested fixes and unfinished enhancements.

If they just compile it "as is", we'll get a map with a bunch of bugs. So we have to wait for them to clean the things up and make the new version good enough for the release.

At least, this is how I understand their process (could be wrong).

Does this excuse the delay? Of course not.

Does it make publishing this simple fix more challenging than it seems? Sadly, yes.

I hear what you are saying, and if this was a new feature or bug, I could accept those reasons.  This is something that people have been banging on about - not just on this thread - for OVER 2 YEARS.  Since day one.  There have been many update opportunities for UGRA to have incorporated this trivial fix. This is not the first time that they have shown a disregard for customers.  I'm sure we all remember the original Normandy map saga and the frustration felt by many customers there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

We can only speculate what the is actually needed for the fix, but here from the outside it appears to really be only the line in the encrypted cfg-file of the map telling DCS where to look for the kneeboard pages. I cannot imagine any system or mechanism more than that is involved (on UGRA's side) to make it work, as it works flawlessly on other maps and is a core DCS feature. We're not talking about any modification of the geometry or textures here.

In that case it should be easy enough for them to grab the config-file of the version publically available now from their repo, add the line and encrypt it. Then put that in the user files, add a disclaimer to use at your own risk and done. People who care can use it, people who don't lose nothing. In the next update (whenever that may be) include the proper fix (which allegedly already exists internally).

I'm all for being patient, but at some point there is just nothing left to "muster up".

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, I asked for the fixed file to try out at my own risk, but, sadly, no joy. 

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

On 11/21/2022 at 1:22 AM, Minsky said:

It's not about the number of lines.

To deliver this trivial fix, they must first compile the map from the current dev build.

This build certainly has other untested fixes and unfinished enhancements.

If they just compile it "as is", we'll get a map with a bunch of bugs. So we have to wait for them to clean the things up and make the new version good enough for the release.

At least, this is how I understand their process (could be wrong).

Does this excuse the delay? Of course not.

Does it make publishing this simple fix more challenging than it seems? Sadly, yes.

Most places use branches to handle their dev and main builds. 

It sounds very odd that a company would not have a main branch that can be used if defects are found to fix these quickly instead of only use a single dev branch... very unusual for any dev company if this is how they work. 

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

10 hours ago, inexus said:

Most places use branches to handle their dev and main builds. 

It sounds very odd that a company would not have a main branch that can be used if defects are found to fix these quickly instead of only use a single dev branch... very unusual for any dev company if this is how they work. 

Those were just my assumptions. A relatively small developer such as Ugra might only have the current build, a few manual backups, and a bug tracker. Sounds kinda ridiculous, but with DCS you never know for sure 🤷‍♂️

In any case, they might simply not see this kneeboard issue as something serious (it's not a game-breaking bug after all).

And seeing that there were no updates to Syria since March (?), their verbal promise to release a fix in the next Syria patch (whenever it comes) still stands.

(Not that any of this excuses such an enormous delay, of course. And I honestly don't know why I'm trying to play a devil's advocate here 😅 )

Edited by Minsky
  • Like 1

Dima | My DCS uploads

• 4 weeks later...

And..... guess what?

Yep, you're correct no kneeboard Syria map update in todays OB.

What was a joke, has now turned into a total farce.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

After ED's monumentally good patch this week, we still do not have this fix which was ready to go back in August.   Seriously, what do we have to do to get this put in?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

Not really an excuse but I guess they are busy with Normandy 2. Once that's out I would assume Syria will be getting the new lights update and then... Hopefully the kneeboard folder. They really need to get to it. 

I can hear @Maestroburst out... Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

• Like 1

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

• 4 weeks later...

give any map (specially Vietnam) to Ugra to kill it for you. by looking at Sinai by OnReTech, I could say they raised the standard way higher than any other developer.

1. STRONG, tight and friendly Communication with the community in FORUM
  2. Bring the user request into the map (SAM location, Points of interests, SAM Assets ...)
  3. the quality of the map, buildings ...
  4. amount of details
  5. adding CUSTOM buildings and static objects to the ME
  6. scale of the map
  7. performance OPTIMIZATION of the map
  8. ...

Meanwhile in Syria, two AI taxing for Incirlik 05 and I get 15 FPS

Edited by Raviar
  • Like 6

And... guess what, correct, no fix in today's patch.

Beyond a joke!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@MAESTR0 So, now that N2 (with its working kneeboard) is out the door - the reason given for the delay - will we now see this fix being implemented very soon?

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Light at the end of the tunnel. 

I don't believe it!  Amazing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure we are all pleased to see the kneeboard working - at last! - in today's patch!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, imacken said:

I'm sure we are all pleased to see the kneeboard working - at last! - in today's patch!

Cool!

what’s the path for the kneeboard?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Same format and location as all the others, i.e. E:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Syria\Kneeboard in my case. 

• Like 2

Well, I've never used any other folders for my customised stuff apart from the standard path as above.