fholger - Modified OpenVR DLL with AMD FidelityFX SuperResolution Upscaler

Krupi

• Krupi changed the title to fholger - Modified OpenVR DLL with AMD FidelityFX SuperResolution Upscaler

I have yet to get this to work on my system. 

Please respond here if you are able to report a performance increase. 

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

I’ll have to play with this, but DCS won’t be the very first game for my testing. 

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

So I just had a really quick play, no crashes as yet. I left the config file at defaults. I have to say I had previously been using the hacked version of ReShade (by the same author) so I disabled that first. I was hoping for the effect of this to be more noticeable. Perhaps it was me, but I couldn't see a lot of difference to what ReShade already seemed to give in terms of sharpening effect. What I was really hoping for (stupid, I know) was a reduction in the shimmering, but alas no. I'll try some more when I get some spare time.

• Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

unknown.png

Not sure if I did it right, but there was a massive drop in gpu frametime for me. This is the su25 low level benchmark mission. Runs much better in multiplayer servers. (Top image is using the mod if it wasn't obvious)
Vive Pro 2 at 150% res with 3080, no msaa. All I did was replace the dll and used the provided config file.
Despite the better framerate, there was more shimmering of lines which I hate. I'll have to experiment more. Perhaps it can allow me to run msaa x2 without a performance hit, etc???

Update: i'm not sure it is upsampling properly for me? I get the FPS boost but a lower quality image. Softer, more shimmer, etc. I'd expect fidelityFX to be sharper than this. ATM it is nothing like DLSS for me atleast.

Edited by SneakyBastd
  • Like 1

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

Latest release seems not to work properly. The log file throws "Error when submitting for eye 0: 108" and "Error when submitting for eye 1: 108". What i see ingame is something like the lower resolution applied, but the upscaling part missing. I'll test the first release next.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

40 minutes ago, RealDCSpilot said:

Latest release seems not to work properly. The log file throws "Error when submitting for eye 0: 108" and "Error when submitting for eye 1: 108". What i see ingame is something like the lower resolution applied, but the upscaling part missing. I'll test the first release next.

The downscale is definitely happening and the FPS gain is real.
My log is showing "Created Upscaled Texture/Sharpening of size...."

But I'm not sure I can actually tell a difference. The labels in the cockpit textures are quite blurry and I don't really feel a difference in the aliasing. 

I also got the same error as above but it only happened in a mission. The main menu was error free. It might be caused by a desync when DCS freezes during loading and the steamVR background pops up for a second. 

For reference:

Quest 2

Experimented a bit more, this time with 1.17 as setting (150% + 17% to nearly reach double panel resolution). It seems to do something, but i think it only reveals that "FidelityFX SuperResolution" is just a normal upscale rendering technique with a hype marketing name. DLSS is the far more sophisticated tech and superior against this.

Edited by RealDCSpilot
  • Like 2

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I only tested it for a short while so far. I had great success with increasing the SteamVR super sampling so that my Vive Pro 2 renders at 3500x3500 with FSR at 0.7. My FPS increased a bit and the image quality is better. I'll need to test with further to find the sweet spot.

FPS gain is good but image fidelity is not great even at ultra quality, at present stage I'm afraid it's not for me.  The far away objects are muddy and blurry resulting in loss of fine details, much more noticeable in games such as Skyrim VR especially if you use high-res VR headset (Vive Pro 2 in my case, I use ENB series shader with AMD CAS with that game and image quality is pristine).  This reminds me of early version of NVIDIA DLSS tech, maybe later iterations will be good enough for me but right now no.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

8 hours ago, RealDCSpilot said:

Experimented a bit more, this time with 1.17 as setting (150% + 17% to nearly reach double panel resolution). It seems to do something, but i think it only reveals that "FidelityFX SuperResolution" is just a normal upscale rendering technique with a hype marketing name. DLSS is the far more sophisticated tech and superior against this.

It's a non-temporal scaler with edge enhancement/sharpening applied.

DLSS isn't THAT much different, it just has a second step where it infers the missing pixels by using temporal data (previous frames).

Right now fidelityfx sr is about on par with early DLSS 1.0 implementations. It is an entirely open solution, and one that has an actual chance to gain market support as both consoles will be using it. It will only get better as time goes on. DLSS is as much hype as anything else, early DLSS didn't even utilize tensor cores at all.

That's another downside, it doesn't run on separate Tensor Cores like DLSS. So it takes away a bit of rasterizer rendering power.

Edited by RealDCSpilot
  • Like 1

I was just coming here to post this, I can't play with it until this evening.

I'd settle for same visual quality, more FPS. (I'm already running my VP2 at 80%, because I can't power native res, and even that is pushing it on my system).

Well it works, and there is a performance benefit.

However there is noticeable image degradation. Not significant but it's questionable whether or not just running the game at 75% resolution instead of 100% would give the same effect and overall performance benefit.

Hard to say without back to back screenshots but my gut feeling after experiencing it first hand is it's about equivalent.

2 hours ago, FoxTwo said:

Well it works, and there is a performance benefit.

However there is noticeable image degradation. Not significant but it's questionable whether or not just running the game at 75% resolution instead of 100% would give the same effect and overall performance benefit.

Hard to say without back to back screenshots but my gut feeling after experiencing it first hand is it's about equivalent.

Mirrors my experience and thoughts.

Upping Steam SS to 130% from the default 100% produced a similar picture to what I normally see, with similar performance going by feel (frametime monitoring may prove otherwise)

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

I haven't had a chance to play with this yet.  But if I understand what it is doing it doesn't surprise me that people who make no changes to their setup other than installing it are seeing a performance boost.  It sounds like it's default setting is .75 which will reduce your resolution by 25% and then upres, so I would expect a performance increase similar to if you just dropped your steamVR resolution by 25%.  The question is does that result in better image quality at that lower resolution.

I bet the proper way to use this is to set your PD to 1.0, your steamVR resolution to 100% and then use the FSR config to set your actual resolution.  If you were already running steamVR at 100% I bet you will see lower image quality, especially for things like clouds that seem to be resolution dependent.

I actually had my best results when I turned msaa off. Seemed like less shimmer. On a whole, I'd say its a win. Now running steamVR at native res, and while its not as clear as if I ran native res without it, it is getting me better framerates, and acceptable image quality.

After further testing i uninstalled it and switched back to the ReShade sharpening method. I had to disable MSAA to make it work right, with MSAA enabled it doesn't do the upscaling step (throws "Error when submitting..."). I find it not working well for DCS and VR, no matter if i use it to upsample from a lower res (0.XX) or upsample from a set resolution (1.XX). It may help with low-end systems and games that don't have that much visibility range, but the edge shimmering without MSAA in DCS is just awful. ReShade CAS and SS settings in SteamVR are still the best combination for me. The hype around FidelityFX just comes from people who see better frametimes from the lowered resolution, but don't look on the degraded image quality. Now i'm much more interested in what DLSS could offer for DCS.

Edited by RealDCSpilot
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RealDCSpilot said:

Now i'm much more interested in what DLSS could offer for DCS.

Yeah me too. Although I don't think we'd be gaining much, since we're on a 3090RTX and probably CPU limited at this point. I think the biggest gains will come if or when Eagle Dynamics manage to make DCS truly hyperthreaded. Possibly some gains with Vulcan, but IMO the single biggest problem with VR in DCS at this point is how much CPU overhead it requires. If they ever manage to get it working on multiple threads, as well as scalable to multiple cores, then upscaling tech like DLSS would be a godsend. However I sincerely doubt that DLSS will ever be considered for DCS, as Eagle Dynamics have stated on multiple occasions that they are not interested in proprietary technology. AMD's FidelityFX is probably a safer bet in DCS since it works on all GPUs however I wouldn't expect official support for a long time. (Or at least until they manage to push out Vulcan out the door)

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

9 hours ago, RealDCSpilot said:

The hype around FidelityFX just comes from people who see better frametimes from the lowered resolution, but don't look on the degraded image quality.

^ This. Reminds me of the PD 0.5 + SteamVR SS 200% thing all over again. I immediately noticed more shimmering and blurrier textures with the stock settings. Bumping the resolution multiplier up to 1.5 and 2 I could tell it looked better, but also less performant - probably not too much different than if I cranked my SteamVR SS back up.

I do like how the sharpening looks though. Similar to the reshade approach and lumasharpen filter. Gonna keep going with this route for now, running res multi at 1.1 and sharpening tuning at 1.0.

I found 0.85 sharpening to be best for me, and the shimmering isn't that bad, appreciate the resolution bump more than the shimmer.

(I'm on a 3070 though, with an R5 3600x processor, soooo, I can't compete with you guys flying a 3090)