A real solution for those suffering with default VR view (how to make custom view thats loaded by default for the mossie each time)

Gun Jam

Hello

I found with most DCS VR planes the default view is somewhere between a bit off and painful. The Mosquito is a bit off. Too high and just a bit too far left.

I'll attempt to show you guys with this issue how to solve this problem the correct way so its a one time deal set and forget.

The idea is that the snapviews.lua is edited with the correct XYZ values for proper head placement. This done with trail and error and takes about 10min.

The hard part is that you may not have the snapviews.lua or it maybe missing the mosquito.

the snapviews.lua is found in "Users / yourname/ saved games/ dcs/ config/view"

It should be opened with notepad++

Find the heading for mosquito

the heading is "[14] = {--default view - VR"

EDIT X_trans,  Y_trans, Z_trans

Ive attached the values that worked well for G2 should be close for most others

If you have no snapviews.lua here is a link that describes the process of creating it and/or adding the mosquito to the list here is a link to that thread. the last 3 post are the useful ones

-Gun

mosq.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting. Will need to look at in more detail.

@Gun Jam Thanks!!

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

6 hours ago, Darrylx444 said:

You can also just change and save the default head position using the in-game key commands while paused in-flight.

just do this, it’s the same process in all the DCS aircraft. Do it once save your angles and forget about it. 

2 hours ago, Q3ark said:

just do this, it’s the same process in all the DCS aircraft. Do it once save your angles and forget about it. 

never tried that before.

does that save it for future flights, including say a game reboot?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

4 minutes ago, Mr_sukebe said:

never tried that before.

does that save it for future flights, including say a game reboot?

Yes, saves the view forever, game restart, update... I did it in Spit and Tomcat. Be aware that landing postition perhaps it’s too low. In the Viper I change the view each time I start, and then reset for landing for see runway better.

Cool.  I’ll be trying that later today.  Thanks

Edited by Mr_sukebe

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

3 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

does that actually work in VR?

It does indeed. I typically redefine the controls to the trim hat on my stick, then get it where I want when I’m in VR, save the angles and reset my trimmer controls, nice and easy. 

• RCTRL + RSHFT + KP4,2,6,8 = Moves your eyepoint L,D,R,U respectively
  • RCTRL + RSHFT + KP*, KPMinus = Moves your eyepoint fore and aft
  • RALT + KP0 = Saves your current eyepoint position
  • KP5 Recenters your view (Bind to a joystick or button box button with Joy2Key or other remapper to make centering simple)

This is how I set my views in all aircraft.Its saves so you only have to set it up 1 time.

I use rift s,not sure if it works with other headsets.

Edited by ViKe
  • Like 2

You could do all of that, or you could move your head left and upwards a bit then press your recentre view key 😉

• Like 1

Kit: i9 10900k, Rog Strix RTX 4090, Asus Rog strix Z490 Mobo, 64 GB, Varjo Aero HMD running Open VR

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Thrustmaster Pendular rudder peddles

MODS: Pretty much all of them

odd i was looking at snapview.lua and i dont have an entry for the Mossie!

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I use the keyboard settings too, but sometimes I get a weird behavior where the canopy frame looks weird as I move my head, it get wide and slews like I'm in VR or something.  Not sure why it does it, but the P-47 did it and so did the Spitfire.  Trying to figure out how to reset everything to get the proper views back.

Sempre Fortis

• 2 weeks later...

I'm setting up the controls for the Mosquito in VR and want to create a custom view for the fuel levers behind the seat.

When I created custom snap views outside VR, because it was easier, and saved them I found they were not carried across to VR. I tried again by running VR and just moving the headset around by hand to where I wanted it, but it seems the best I can do is save the location my head is positioned in the cockpit - but it is still looking forward. So I've now got a snap view to a position under the armrest and I have to turn my head over my shoulder to see the fuel panel. Is this normal for VR or am I doing something wrong?

@Gun JamI agree the initial head position is too high and to the left. Just switch the gun sight on and you have to crouch in your seat to line it up (without using the built in snap view). I'm going to try your system for saving a corrected initial view. Am I wrong in thinking the F1 cockpit view is different from the Numpad 5 default centre view? (Snap views are just there while you hold a button right?)

Edited: Yup! I like your lua settings.

Edited by Cutter
follow up

AMD 5600X in an ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING, 32GB RAM, with an MSI GeForce RTX 3070. HP Reverb G2

F/A-18C  -  F-14A/B  -  AV-8B  -  A-10C II  -  AH-64D  -  UH-1H  -  Spitfire LF Mk IX  -  Mosquito FB VI

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/19/2021 at 4:55 PM, ViKe said:
  • RCTRL + RSHFT + KP4,2,6,8 = Moves your eyepoint L,D,R,U respectively
  • RCTRL + RSHFT + KP*, KPMinus = Moves your eyepoint fore and aft
  • RALT + KP0 = Saves your current eyepoint position
  • KP5 Recenters your view (Bind to a joystick or button box button with Joy2Key or other remapper to make centering simple)

This is how I set my views in all aircraft.Its saves so you only have to set it up 1 time.

I use rift s,not sure if it works with other headsets.

This works for saving the VR viewpoint! I had no idea about this, and its so simple - I'm now going through and doing this for all my planes. Thank you! 👍

Edited by FupDuck

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.