im motion we get a NS-430 in the back of the tcat

evanf117

unknown.png
IRL rios used garmin's to navigate because of the mec INS was bad, so like other planes it would be nice to get a working 3D NS-430 in the RIO seat as long as you own the NS-430 so you heave more things to fiddle with and can use it for navigation

EDIT: 
i found what it is IRL
the Garmin GPS 3 Plus Portable Gps Navigator
after reading some of the comments and thinking id say it would be better to get the GPS3P for accuracy but i still think in theory the NS-430 could work if the devs wanted to add a GPS and not put too much effort into it, in which case im fine with, i just want a GPS for the RIO seat
Garmin GPS III Plus Personal Navigator

Edited by evanf117
  • Like 5

Would probably require some licensing from Garmin but I think it could be done and would be a unique addition to the RIOpit.

• Like 1

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

The gps in the picture is a handheld device which could be easiliy attached to the cockpit. The GNS430 we have in DCS is far larger and requires a dedicated shaft somewhere (like a car radio). There is no way you could mount a GNS430 in the F-14 safely without substantial modifications to the cockpit. 

• Like 1

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

3 hours ago, sLYFa said:

The gps in the picture is a handheld device which could be easiliy attached to the cockpit. The GNS430 we have in DCS is far larger and requires a dedicated shaft somewhere (like a car radio). There is no way you could mount a GNS430 in the F-14 safely without substantial modifications to the cockpit. 

Introduce it with an Afghanistan map and recreate that picture

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

10 hours ago, DSplayer said:

Would probably require some licensing from Garmin but I think it could be done and would be a unique addition to the RIOpit.

seems we allready have a NS 430 i dont think licencing would be too hard for it but as others have suggested it may be better to get a smaller GPS maybe even the one in the picture just for the F-14 as it would be hard to mount the NS-430 as its largish, im drew a possible perdition for the NS-430 tho now that i think about it id rather have a more accurate to the tcat GPS (ie the one in the IRL photo)
image.png
here is a possible position

7 hours ago, sLYFa said:

i think theoretically you could mount the GNS-430 here but yea, it would probably be better to get the one in the IRL photo image.png
after doing some digging the one in the photo is a 
Zoom in
Garmin GPS III Plus

On 10/12/2021 at 2:58 PM, DSplayer said:

pretty sure the NS430 module didn't use Licensing form Garmin hence why the name is "NS430" instead of "GNS430"

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ustio said:

pretty sure the NS430 module didn't use Licensing form Garmin hence why the name is "NS430" instead of "GNS430"

Yep

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 4 weeks later...

We dont need a GPS. We have the Lantirn and the fabulous AN/ASN-92 INS.

But you can use the NS430 in 2D window, something like a handheld GPS

In a proper war GPS is not useful as it will be too interfered so it will give you false readings.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

:megalol:

1 hour ago, Sajarov said:

In a proper war GPS is not useful as it will be too interfered so it will give you false readings.

You realise that what GPS was invented for right?
Literally the US government put the satellites in orbit for use by the military, there's GPS guided bombs for heaven's sake!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sajarov said:

Nobody “needs” it. It is just easier for navigation. It’s not like the NS430 even interacts with the tomcat anyway

• Like 2

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 11:52 PM, Sajarov said:

maybe i dont want to carry round a TGP, and maybe i dont want to go out on a 3-5 hour mission and not be able to find my way home without the F-10 map,
yes we dont need it but it would be a very welcome addition and i think HB should make it

We thought about this on and off... But, with everything extra we offer already, I will say that for now it is unlikely. A nice to have, for sure, but also a cherry on top. We have this idea in the back of our minds though, and who knows, maybe one day we will have the extra time and mood to do it. No promises though. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 2 weeks later...
Il 24/11/2021 at 13:13, AG-51_Sabot ha scritto:

Isn't it already available?

zivKxWUl.jpg

A couple of questions about it:

- Does it affect the FPS noticeably?

- Is there a way to make it monochromatic in order to reproduce the GARMIN 3 Plus?

- Can it be used in MP servers or it's subject to IC restrictions?

Edited by NightFlier

Night Flier

_________________________________________________________________________________________

i7 9700K, MSI RTX 2080, 32GB RAM (3200 MHz), SSD m.2 1TB, Monitor 32'' WQHD 2560x1440, Windows 10 Pro

34 minutes ago, NightFlier said:

A couple of questions about it:

- Does it affect the FPS noticeably?

- Is there a way to make it monochromatic in order to reproduce the GARMIN 3 Plus?

- Can it be used in MP servers or it's subject to IC restrictions?

1- Nah. Although the if affect the cockpit lighting in some odd ways occasionally;

2- I pass on this one;

3- Why would it break the IC? The NS430 is a DCS module, not a mod.

That being said, it's not a must-have at all. It's a nice-to-have, extremely rarely useful gadget.

I'd buy a 3D version, though.

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...