Multicore CPU performance improvement

Prophet

Interesting thread. Was this game written from the ground up to be multi-threaded? I cant think of too many applications out there that have been, maybe Photoshop. Games? Was FSX? 64 bit gives you the ability to address more ram. How many apps take real advantage of this? I am a skeptic with so many cores this, so much ram that. Marketing by the major players. I do not doubt that there are benefits in terms of stability with multi core cpu, smoothness with 4 gig plus ram. In terms of price and performance however, I believe it is another story.

The problem is if MS had done the sea change and had forced any new development for it's OS to HAVE to be in 64 bit everyone would be doing it. In my line of work I am quite frequently comming up against the 32bit memory issue, and that is in a 64bit OS, but because it's a 32bit app it's not happy. Yes having a 64bit OS is enabling the rest of the memory to work out a bit better, but until someone says "Right it's 64 bit from now on!" it's not going to happen to quickly because people ARE STILL buying 32bit os's.

I use several apps that use 100% of the cpu, every single mhz of every single core and when you see all those cores fire up 100% you realise how much power there is lying dorment waiting for some devs to access it. Actually using multicores for the devs takes a lot of thinking about and forward planning. There are some languages out there that are written to expressly use multicore processes, but the core languages aren't yet written to take a lot of the headache out. At the moment the most efficient way of a dev using multicores is to put different things on a core like the Xbox 360 does, but if your programming for the 360 you know exactly what hardware your putting it on, a PC isn't like that. It's just a bigger headache trying to do. Still people do do it.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DTWD, Microsoft had one in a lifetime opportunity to force but force something good and it didn't do it. I installed Ubuntu 64-bit one day - no problems. After the effect on Vista has been discovered I'm really curious how it would work on Linux. Regular Vista runs DCS 20+% worse than XP but Vista with the affinity trick runs it 15% better than XP! Man...

I dual boot vista ultimate 64 and xp pro...Both up to date with newest nvidia drivers released yesterday. The game actually runs better on the vista drive and the infinity trick works. I gained around 10 to 20 fps. On xp there was no change. The only real issue I have with vista is my raided raptors seem slower compared to xp...

It's clear that there isn't any noticeable increase in performance (or no gain at all) in Win XP by setting the affinity to 2 or more cores. My big question for the people who tested both win XP and Vista with the same rig is: the maximum FPS gained in Vista are higher than those in XP? I mean, Is there slower performance in Vista, compared to XP, without the Core affinity trick?

PS: I tried setting the afinity of DCS.exe to two cores and my keyboard stopped responding. Negative impact here.

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

Vista<XP<Vista multi-core

I have the same problem there 7rooper with the keyboard. It wasnt doing it before, but it is now, pretty consistently. I can run it in windowed mode, but that defeats the purpose.

I would just use procaff, but since we are not starting from an executable, but the launcher with a switch, and a batch file, it doesnt work.

It's clear that there isn't any noticeable increase in performance (or no gain at all) in Win XP by setting the affinity to 2 or more cores. My big question for the people who tested both win XP and Vista with the same rig is: the maximum FPS gained in Vista are higher than those in XP? I mean, Is there slower performance in Vista, compared to XP, without the Core affinity trick?

PS: I tried setting the afinity of DCS.exe to two cores and my keyboard stopped responding. Negative impact here.

I have the both OS, Vista and XP.

Setting the affinity to 2 cores in Vista = XP, nothing more to me.

Setting the affinity to 2 cores in XP = nothing more (by default, BS is already set on 2 cores in my XP).

I tested the game with WinXP SP2,3 ; Win2003 server standard (NT 5.2 kernel) 32bit; +vista SP1 ultimate

only with vista gain better performance (0+1 core)

If you find a good settings to your game, and you have a correct vista install (vlite:), there is no difference between XP, and VISTA !SP1! if you using only one core (default)

If you power up the second core, then you can feel that if you turn on the shkval at the city, theres isn't a large frame drop like in the XP

soo... i hate vista, but it worth tio use it if you wanna play with Vista

i think this is the second opinion beside the the DX10... so far

BUT! the small "hicks" wont disapperd with 0+1 cores! loading times.. etc...

this is not true that the game run twice a speed, but when the things goes to densy the second cores wont let the FPS to drop to low..

so its make the fps gates a bit higher to the low end sections

sorry for the bad english;)

one more thing!

dont waste your time to try the game with winXP 64-bit edition...

only Vista can do the trick :(((((((((

Much to my surprise I tried the multi-core trick on my Vista64 box and it makes a marked improvement. If I pause the sim, alt-tab out and change the affinity from 0 to 1, 2, 3 - I get an 18fps increase on the spot.

I haven't flown around to monitor the difference between the two at any detailed length but it aboslutely gives me an fps boost of ~20%

probably its not ready to deal with hyperthreading multicore chips.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I get a script error when trying to open SetAffinityII.

I wonder though, it is for using 4 cores, and I have 8 with the i7.

Yeah the webpage says SetAffinityII supports up to four cores. However there's another program on his webpage that says supports up to eight, PriFinitty: http://www.geocities.com/edgemeal_software/SetAffinity/index.htm

Perhaps that will work for you.

I agree as well, installed Vista 64 with 6 GB of ram ran SetAffinityII to all four cores (0,1,2,& 3) and had an 18 to 20 fps more in Black Shark!

Finally a reason to want Vista on your computer if you have multiple core cpu's.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BS only using max 2 cores...

4-8 cores... funny...

buy a server board with multiple i7 cpu-s to get better performance:)

RIGHT NOW! uncle Sam would be proud :)

dont forget to buy at least 8gb of rams! this is important!

(BS is using max 512-768mb ...) BUT THIS is SECRET!!

Yeah the webpage says SetAffinityII supports up to four cores. However there's another program on his webpage that says supports up to eight, PriFinitty: http://www.geocities.com/edgemeal_software/SetAffinity/index.htm

Perhaps that will work for you.

That one opens, but gets an error trying to set affinity.

So tried again, and it is able to set affinity to core 0,1,2,3 but not 4,5,6,7. So it is probably a HT problem. Thats ok, I just need another core anyways :)

Edited by =Prophet=