are the texture updates in the plans?

peachmonkey

hi, there, @NineLine,

I'm a transplant from the Il2 sim and I fell truly in love with the fidelity of the DCS. I spend countless hours of learning the modules, trying to figure out as much as possible about their strength and weaknesses.

That being said I spent about 5-6 months flying the Anton A8. It's a work of art, strength, survivability, and power.

Couple of days ago I finally decided to give Dora a try. I'm still learning its quirks. Its engine sound is freaking menacing compared to the A8.

But the first thing that jumps at me is the low quality of textures on it. The external "undamaged" model textures look decent enough, I think it has another couple of years left in it.

However:

- The DM textures are of really of low resolution. It's like comparing A8's 4K textures vs. 720p of Dora. The bullet/shrapnel holes aren't even holes, I think..

- The internal textures aren't as bad, but bumping them up would do wonders to the immersion.

Is there plan to address the tiredness of this model in some near future?

Edited by peachmonkey
  • Like 4

......And me,the Dora needs a facelift,totally agree.

• Like 1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

After reading Peachmonkey's entire message,it was this that I based my reply on.....I am more than happy with the cockpit.

• Like 1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

I'm more than happy with my darkened cockpit, but yeah.. new external textures would make this plane wonders. 

• Like 1

PC: i7 8700k 32GB DDR4 3200 Mhz  RTX 3070 Ti Hotas Warthog Thrustmaster TPR Track ir 5 Bodnar BBI-32 Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Lewitt LCT 240 Pro
Jets: A-10A A-10C Warthog A-10C II F-14 Tomcat F-16C Viper F-5E Tiger II F/A-18C Hornet F-15C Su-33 MiG-29 F-86F Sabre 
Choppers: AH-64D Mi-8MTV2 UH-1H Huey Black shark 2 Maps: Nevada Normandy Persian gulf Syria The Channel 
WW2: BF-109 K4 Fw 190 D-9 Dora Mosquito FB VI P-51D Mustang Spitfire LF Mk. IX  Other: Supercarrier WWII Assets Pack NS 430 Navigation System Combined Arms 

1 hour ago, ChainsawAkimbo said:

I'm more than happy with my darkened cockpit, but yeah.. new external textures would make this plane wonders. 

hi there, ChainsawAkimbo,

are you running a custom cockpit in Dora?  If so, do you mind telling me how you managed to get it working?

edit:  I found this in the user files. That's the only location I haven't tried yet.. Hopefully it works..

To install make sure the file structure looks like:
X:\Users\Your Name\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\Cockpit_FW190D9\Cockpit_FW190D9\English - Blacked

If you don't have a Liveries folder there, just make one.

Edited by peachmonkey

Yes i am. This is the one i use (it's amazing).

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3318301/

It has wrong path in the description (has one folder too many), i've added the correct folder structure below. Of course alter accordingly to match your system, and if you are running beta. After files extracted and copied to correct place, then just go to settings in game and choose your new cockpit.

X:\Users\Your Name\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\Cockpit_FW190D9\English - Blacked

• Thanks 1

PC: i7 8700k 32GB DDR4 3200 Mhz  RTX 3070 Ti Hotas Warthog Thrustmaster TPR Track ir 5 Bodnar BBI-32 Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Lewitt LCT 240 Pro
Jets: A-10A A-10C Warthog A-10C II F-14 Tomcat F-16C Viper F-5E Tiger II F/A-18C Hornet F-15C Su-33 MiG-29 F-86F Sabre 
Choppers: AH-64D Mi-8MTV2 UH-1H Huey Black shark 2 Maps: Nevada Normandy Persian gulf Syria The Channel 
WW2: BF-109 K4 Fw 190 D-9 Dora Mosquito FB VI P-51D Mustang Spitfire LF Mk. IX  Other: Supercarrier WWII Assets Pack NS 430 Navigation System Combined Arms 

3 minutes ago, ChainsawAkimbo said:

Yes i am. This is the one i use (it's amazing).

It has wrong path in the description (has one folder too many), i've added the correct folder structure below. Of course alter accordingly to match your system, and if you are running beta. After files extracted and copied to correct place, then just go to settings in game and choose your new cockpit.

X:\Users\Your Name\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\Cockpit_FW190D9\English - Blacked

thank you for the correction, I appreciate it!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Art-J said:

Just releasing official template after all these years would be a good start - community will step in with good quality skins then.

+1

Amen to that 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 11:34 PM, Jenkem Junkie said:

I remade my old English one from scratch and it's much better now. The textures are what they are, but the lack of definition is less noticeable if you darken the cockpit.

I'll have a original German one available soon.

Could you kindly post some pictures of your updated D9 cockpit here (don't have currently installed to check for myself)?

Many thanks in advance!

MAC

Edited by MACADEMIC

55 minutes ago, peachmonkey said:

you must click the link 🙂  Anyway, it looks beautiful! 

- The internal textures aren't as bad, but bumping them up would do wonders to the immersion.

Thanks peachmonkey, looking very nice. I've meant to say that I don't have DCS installed at the moment, that's why I'd asked for the screens. Regarding your original post, as I'm curious, what bumping up did you mean? Does the updated cockpit by Jenkem Junkie hit the spot, or what else would it need in your opinion to match e.g. the Mosquito in texture quality? Again sorry if I'm asking something obvious, but as I don't currently have the game I can't see this for myself.

MAC

15 hours ago, MACADEMIC said:

Thanks peachmonkey, looking very nice. I've meant to say that I don't have DCS installed at the moment, that's why I'd asked for the screens. Regarding your original post, as I'm curious, what bumping up did you mean? Does the updated cockpit by Jenkem Junkie hit the spot, or what else would it need in your opinion to match e.g. the Mosquito in texture quality? Again sorry if I'm asking something obvious, but as I don't currently have the game I can't see this for myself.

MAC

D9's cockpit is nice.

I meant the external DM textures on wings/fuselage need updating. The bullet/shrapnel holes look low resolution and aren't actual holes at all, just some smudged decals. They stand out against high quality cockpit and decent wing textures..

• Like 2