MICA missiles are only a shadow of what they should be

Mad_Shell

The MICA missiles (radar and IR) carried by the M 2000-5 AI are way less performant in DCS than in real life. In the MICA_R.lua and MICA_T.lua files, the maximum g load the MICA missiles can reach is 24g, while IRL the vertical launched version (which is exactly the same missile as the one carried on fighters) achieves 50g up to 7km, and 30g up to 12km thanks to thrust vectoring, and that's launched from the ground with zero initial speed. Also, in DCS the maximum range at maximum altitude is 40/45km, and only 8km at low altitude. IRL the MICA VL (once again, zero initial speed and launched from the ground) has an interception range of 20km.

Last but not least, MICA IR should have lock on after launch capability, and both MICA versions should have 360° launch capabilities (source in French https://archive.wikiwix.com/cache/index2.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ixarm.com%2FFiche-technique%2C11178#federation=archive.wikiwix.com Ixarm being the business portal of the French Direction Générale de L'Armement)

Sources in these MBDA brochures

MICA.pdf MBDA_MICA.pdf

Edited by Mad_Shell
  • Like 4

Totally agree with that!

And it would help to make the Mirage interesting for me again. I mean- it's a fighter and for now you can use it as a tactical bomber only. Sad because it's a sexy aircraft. 

Cheers

TOM

Born to fly but forced to work.

TomFliegerKLEIN.gif

Mica is low priority until razbam goes on with the mirage 2000-5.

ED already said that they will revisit all missiles iteratively, but there are higher priorities like the R27s, R77 and in general all weapons used by flyable aircrafts...

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 5:52 AM, falcon_120 said:

Mica is low priority until razbam goes on with the mirage 2000-5.

ED already said that they will revisit all missiles iteratively, but there are higher priorities like the R27s, R77 and in general all weapons used by flyable aircrafts...

Has Razbam ever said they are going to make the Mirage 2000-5? That would be awesome. 

Has Razbam ever said they are going to make the Mirage 2000-5? That would be awesome. 
They didn't officially confirm it, but they said something like "it's a strong possibility for the future".

Someone will share the specific quote (I think it was from Ron Zambrano)

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2022 at 4:01 PM, Mad_Shell said:

The MICA missiles (radar and IR) carried by the M 2000-5 AI are way less performant in DCS than in real life.

The whole category of guided missiles is way less authentic compared to real life than most other things in DCS because the details regarding their design and capabilities are classified.

Last but not least, MICA IR should have lock on after launch capability, and both MICA versions should have 360° launch capabilities

If the launch platform has it, which the Mirage 2000-5 probably doesn't. It would need to have sensors or a radar in the rear sector to be able to designate a target that's behind it, or alternatively, have another aircraft provide targeting data via the datalink, if it even has buddy-launch capability (I don't know if it does, there are some aircraft that do, e.g. the Eurofighter). The missile needs some inital information to guide it to a position from where it would be able to find the target, because the on-board sensors of the missile don't have 360 degree coverage.

15 hours ago, Aquorys said:

If the launch platform has it, which the Mirage 2000-5 probably doesn't. It would need to have sensors or a radar in the rear sector to be able to designate a target that's behind it, or alternatively, have another aircraft provide targeting data via the datalink, if it even has buddy-launch capability (I don't know if it does, there are some aircraft that do, e.g. the Eurofighter). The missile needs some inital information to guide it to a position from where it would be able to find the target, because the on-board sensors of the missile don't have 360 degree coverage.

The 2000-5 doesn't have that capability indeed. All the rear-sector shots were done using a pair of Rafale sharing targeting information over L16. The addition of the Scorpion HMD from Thales on the Rafale F4 will allow single-ship, autonomous rear-sector engagements using the MICA IR in LOAL shots.

On 2/1/2022 at 12:34 AM, Flappie said:

I've just reported the speed issue, for a start.

Thx. Please report the G limit of the missile too. In DCS both MICA are limited to 24g manœuvers, while IRL they're advertised as having 50g manoeuvrability. That's a huge difference...

On 1/4/2022 at 9:33 AM, TOMCATZ said:

Totally agree with that!

And it would help to make the Mirage interesting for me again. I mean- it's a fighter and for now you can use it as a tactical bomber only. Sad because it's a sexy aircraft. 

Cheers

TOM

I don't know. I do OK with the Mirage against AI. I try not to get entangled at high altitude or over water which limits it somewhat. However high speed low altitude over land (preferably in mountains) the Mirage is a heccin' good knife fighter. However in BVR against later Mi and Su models, it gets toasted at a rate of about 1/2.

On 2/9/2022 at 2:01 PM, Mad_Shell said:

Thx. Please report the G limit of the missile too. In DCS both MICA are limited to 24g manœuvers, while IRL they're advertised as having 50g manoeuvrability. That's a huge difference...

That might be done on purpose to limit the micro corrections the missile does during course changes, if they up it's g limit to 5g0, because of the way that guidance works for some missiles in DCS World, it might shorten it's range even more so. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/30/2023 at 2:47 PM, Bazz_Mulder said:

I'm necroing this topic but I'm searching dcs files with MICA's characteristic. I can't find MICA_R.lua and MICA_T.lua in current OB build

@Mad_Shell    Do you know where that can be found now?

These (and several others) were hidden when 2.7 released, if you want to find them now, your best bet is Quaggles' data mine.

Here's the MICA_R.lua and here's the MICA_T.lua.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.