RotorOps: Dynamic Mission Generator

Grimm

Quick question, if you don't: I'm creating a template with an invisible FARP, named (as instructed) "HELO_FARP", for automatic helicopter placement.

This works, currently with the following side effects:

• Only the first four helicopters are placed at that FARP. Having a second HELO_FARP_02 or similar does not catch spill-over, the remaining helicopters are placed at blue airfield
  • I've selected 'hot' start for player helos, but the FARP helicopters all start 'from ground' instead 'from ground hot'. The Helicopters at the airfield start hot from parking.

Is there a way to have all helicopters start at the FARP, and have them start hot (except, of course, modifying them in ME, which I'm doing now 🙂 )?

Thanks,

-ch

9 hours ago, cfrag said:

Quick question, if you don't: I'm creating a template with an invisible FARP, named (as instructed) "HELO_FARP", for automatic helicopter placement.

This works, currently with the following side effects:

• Only the first four helicopters are placed at that FARP. Having a second HELO_FARP_02 or similar does not catch spill-over, the remaining helicopters are placed at blue airfield
  • I've selected 'hot' start for player helos, but the FARP helicopters all start 'from ground' instead 'from ground hot'. The Helicopters at the airfield start hot from parking.

Is there a way to have all helicopters start at the FARP, and have them start hot (except, of course, modifying them in ME, which I'm doing now 🙂 )?

Thanks,

-ch

A better way might be to use the import feature for larger FARPs.  For example you can copy any of the import template FARPs or FOBs and then add or change the helicopters there.  

You can use them both together too.  I'm working on mission right now where I'm using the 16 slot FOB, with a helo_farp in the middle.  So there's 16 'stock' helicopter slots, and 4 that can be changed at mission generation time.  

Hot start will be better supported in the next release.

http://dcs-helicopters.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/RotorOps_IMPORT_TEMPLATES-1.pdf

Splash damage script is included in the mission, by the RotorOps mission generator. It will produce a secondary blast over the impact of bombs/rockets, that emulates the missing shrapnel effects, in DCS. It's not a "god mode", but makes area effects against light or unarmed vehicles and infantry a bit more realistic/effective (aka you don't need to hit a soldier on the head with a M251 rocket to actually kill him).
As GRIMM said, there is no way to see if there is trees, or buildings, or other map objects where you spawn units. You can determine water, land, road, IIRC, but not if there's trees or buildings in the way.
So this is something the mission creator must do manually after the generator did its magic. 

Is the splash damage effect shielded by the trees completely or does some of it pass through?Yes I now use the ME to reposition those hidden tanks.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

3 minutes ago, GrEaSeLiTeNiN said:

Is the splash damage effect shielded by the trees completely or does some of it pass through?Yes I now use the ME to reposition those hidden tanks.

It inflicts damage at the intersection of the weapon trajectory and the ground, so yes some damage should pass through the trees.  Though I haven't tested this specifically.  I doubt it would be enough to kill a tank.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 7:45 AM, Grimm said:

Either a more difficult enemy forces template (ie including armor and anti air) or bumping up the 'groups per zone' for red should help increase the difficulty.

So I maxed out the enemy groups per zone but they seem to get bogged down at Alpha nonetheless. I have now added like 7-8 vehicles per group to overwhelm Blue and will test to see if they can make it to Bravo. 

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4

vor 7 Stunden schrieb GrEaSeLiTeNiN:

AFAIK objects don't shield any of the blast damage. Never tested on Marianas map. 

Persian Gulf, last I looked, a bomb in a village kills all infantry in the blast radius no matter if there are buildings in the way or not.

Splash damage script, just puts a second explosion on the impact point with adjusted splash damage, to simulate effects of fragmentation.

It is not a guarantee to kill stuff, and especially the unguided rockets underperform considerably in DCS. If a a typical M251 HE rocket does not hit very(!) close to a target (especially infantry) it likely reduces some hit points and the guy shoots back as if nothing happened.

With splash damage script typically the cumulative hit points at least kills some/most of the infantry. But the kill radius(!) is still not big.

If you have TacView or go through the debrief log, you can see if the infantry actually got hit (the hit events are recorded, both in the debrief and TacView). If the trees really "shield" the tanks or other objects, there shouldn't be any hit events.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Grimm:

It inflicts damage at the intersection of the weapon trajectory and the ground, so yes some damage should pass through the trees.  Though I haven't tested this specifically.  I doubt it would be enough to kill a tank.

To "kill" a tank you need either a specific AT weapon (Hellfire, Maverick), a HEAT or AP round/rocket warhead and a direct hit, or a bomb direct hit, or a near miss with at least a 500lbs bomb. So firing a couple dozen M251 at a T-55 may damage it, but likely not kill it even in the open...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Here's a perhaps silly request, but it would make things easier for me: would it be possible to add a simple method to the API to end the engagement, e.g. 

RotorOps.endConflict(win)

with win == true, all is well, otherwise fail. 

I don't want to force the scenario's flag myself because I don't know how RotorOpsor dependent modules would react. If I had a safe way to force the end of the scenario with win/lose, that would make it easier for me to interface with RotorOps

RotorOps version 1.2 is available!

Major feature updates:
-hot start available at initial farps and imported fobs/farps
-updated to latest dcs beta: technicals!
-random weather checkbox
-time of day selection
-status display now more useful..displays the remaining convoy
-FARPs are now troop pickup zones!
-option for player helicopter spawns at FARPs (longer distance missions now more fun!)
-Splash Damage script: additional rocket boost, hellfires added
-imports and forces now downloadable modules
-override import templates by copying to user directory (so you can customize FARPs etc)
-many new options available to mission creators (see full changelog for details)

NIGHTHAWKS Mission: AH-64D + UH-60L
We wanted to create a full-featured mission to demonstrate the depth and replayability that is possible with RotorOps. This mission is immersive and pure fun. What makes this unique is a radio menu choice near the beginning of the mission that decides a separate path for the Apache. It is also playable as the Blackhawk (UH-60L mod required) as a troop transport mission. Includes music and full (acted) voiceovers.

Teaser video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3v2nbRP8UE

Download and full changelog:
https://github.com/spencershepard/RotorOps/releases/tag/1.2

You may also run the included updater application if you have already installed RotorOps.

Digital Combat Simulator 2022-05-07 1_06_12 PM (2).png

Edited by Grimm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ver 1.2.0 Issues

1. I am not understanding the standard game format for non Blue on Defense mission. It seems to have changed. For example in Vegas Tour or Dubai Tour, using 'Multiple Slots' in the generator, the client Apaches now start in the enemy zones instead of at the blue AFB like before. Blue FARPs also show up in the center of these enemy zones in the ME but not in the game. Am I missing something?   

2. I tried Nevada Vegas Tour with Blue on Defense. Doubled up on the enemy ground forces to overwhelm blue at Alpha. But they all get stuck in the residential areas before Alpha, the tanks running over parked cars causing fires and then just sitting there looking to buy property, lol. They do take the roads and sometimes go off-road as well, though I noticed the force off-road option has been removed. But the enemy vehicles travel a lot slower now compared to pre v1.2.0 and changing their speed in the ME (for this mission) doesn't make a difference. Seems Blue on Defense still has this type of problem when the enemy tanks/vehicles travel long distances through densely built-up areas. Still a fun generator though. Any tips? Thanks 

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

3 hours ago, GrEaSeLiTeNiN said:

Ver 1.2.0 Issues

1. I am not understanding the standard game format for non Blue on Defense mission. It seems to have changed. For example in Vegas Tour or Dubai Tour, using 'Multiple Slots' in the generator, the client Apaches now start in the enemy zones instead of at the blue AFB like before. Blue FARPs also show up in the center of these enemy zones in the ME but not in the game. See screenshot below. Is this correct? The previous version made more sense. Am I missing something?   
image.png

2. I tried Nevada Vegas Tour with Blue on Defense. Doubled up on the enemy ground forces to overwhelm blue at Alpha. But they all get stuck in the residential areas before Alpha, the tanks running over parked cars causing fires and then just sitting there looking to buy property, lol. They do take the roads and sometimes go off-road as well, though I noticed the force off-road option has been removed. But the enemy vehicles travel a lot slower now compared to pre v1.2.0 and changing their speed in the ME (for this mission) doesn't make a difference. Seems Blue on Defense still has this type of problem when the enemy tanks/vehicles travel long distances through densely built-up areas. Still a fun generator though. Any tips? Thanks 

1) These are the zone FARP spawns, if you have them enabled.  If those are the only spawns you have, make sure that you have some selection in the slot selection.  

2) There's no changes to vehicle speed or anything different about how the aggressor ground vehicles attack.  The speed is highly dependent on the forces template selection.  Each group is only as fast as the slowest unit.  For instance you should not use a template that is described as infantry for attacking, because they will only be as fast as infantry can run.  As far as the tanks blowing up cars and houses and generally being poor drivers....I'm not sure I can do much about it as this comes down to core DCS AI behavior....but maybe I can find some solution.  If you have a tacview that might be helpful.  

37 minutes ago, Grimm said:

1) These are the zone FARP spawns, if you have them enabled.  If those are the only spawns you have, make sure that you have some selection in the slot selection.  

2) There's no changes to vehicle speed or anything different about how the aggressor ground vehicles attack.  The speed is highly dependent on the forces template selection.  Each group is only as fast as the slowest unit.  For instance you should not use a template that is described as infantry for attacking, because they will only be as fast as infantry can run.  As far as the tanks blowing up cars and houses and generally being poor drivers....I'm not sure I can do much about it as this comes down to core DCS AI behavior....but maybe I can find some solution.  If you have a tacview that might be helpful.  

1) Ah right. Those are FARP spawns. As for starting at the blue AB, I forgot about double clicking Multiple Slots to pick my aircraft. My bad!
2) Thanks for the insight. I think I'll try more groups with fewer vehicles instead of fewer groups with more vehicles since they have a 'herd speed' limitation. As for the AI getting bogged down in built-up areas, I guess not much can be done currently. Perhaps mission design for "Blue on Defense" could avoid built-up areas when selecting travel routes for enemy ground vehicles/tanks. Thanks! 

vor 25 Minuten schrieb Dozer1606688093:

Yes, but I was asking if there's a way to update the game to 1.2, without having to uninstall and download it again. 

If you have the older beta 1.1 version without the installer and updater, no.

The release 1.1 had an installer that included the updater and created respective entries in the start menu. So if there is no "Update RotorOps" entry in your start menu, you need to install the new version(s) that include the updater.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 7 months later...

New update v1.3.2 out now!

Changes in this update:

For users:
-Added KA-50 III and AV8BNA Harrier to slot selection
-Changed message in mission generated success dialog
-Zone protect SAMs now part of 'Advanced Defenses' feature
-Advanced Defenses is a new feature that adds IR SAMs, MANPADs, and other AA to enemy zones. Being detected by the Dog Ear radar unit will trigger an enemy fighter intercept. Stay below 1000ft AGL and take it out.
-Late activated friendly/enemy CAP units are placed in mission as a template for Deployed CAP fighters (ie will not be active unless using Advanced Defenses or 'DEPLOY_FIGHTERS' name for radar ground unit)
-improve idle troop behavior at bases/FARPs

For Mission creators:
-Updated pydcs library supports new units such as technicals
-Updated pydcs library supports Falklands map
-allow troop pickup from HELO_CARRIER
-enemy units with radar can be designated to deploy intercept fighters on detection (see RotorOps.fighter options in RotorOps.lua for details) with options for min detection altitude and distance (min detection altitude allows helis to fly 'under the radar')
-Insert RotorOpsServer.lua script and trigger actions if option set in scenario config: rotorops_server: true (if you would like to create templates for the RotorOps MP server)
-scenario template triggers should now be 'untouched' after mission generation, allowing previously unsupported triggers and actions to be used, along with color coding
-block adding player helicopters if slots locked in scenario config
-Added RotorOps.draw_conflict_zones setting to give users the ability to disable or enable displaying of zones on the map.
-allow disabling spinboxes in scenario config
-mission ends 10 mins after mission success/fail
-copy helicopter start type from templates

Join the discord: https://discord.gg/axV72dZrvY

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
vor 39 Minuten schrieb Semaphore:

Will RotorOps be getting updated with the new Sinai Map?

AFAIK this depends on pyDCS, which is used to build the mission files.

PyDCS needs to know the airports and my personal guess, the map origin for the object placement, in addition to the map name.

Shagrat

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this is a newbie question.

I got rotor-ops and a few missions and I played the missions and they seem really good but i am not getting any persistence in the missions. If i load the mission and finish an area, exit and come back it starts from the start again. What do i need to do to get the mission to save between a session. I might only have time to capture one point at a time. I see some other scripts use the changes to the missionscripting.lua is that what i need to do?

Edited by thekow

5 hours ago, thekow said:

Sorry if this is a newbie question.

I got rotor-ops and a few missions and I played the missions and they seem really good but i am not getting any persistence in the missions. If i load the mission and finish an error exit and come back it starts from the start again. What do i need to do to get the mission to save between a session. I might only have time to capture one point at a time. I see some other scripts use the changes to the missionscripting.lua is that what i need to do?

There is no persistence built into RotorOps. Yeah, I think you need to edit the missionscripting file, just like how that has to be done for other 'persistence' user made missions out there. 

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

Thanks, I tried to do the mission scripting lua edit but it made no difference.  I had a mission with 3 zones and I was hoping i could finish one zone. Then do the next one another time. Doesn't matter, I'll just try to generate single zone captures :). Thanks for the tool anyways, I have no idea how to work the mission editor myself.

41 minutes ago, thekow said:

Thanks, I tried to do the mission scripting lua edit but it made no difference.  I had a mission with 3 zones and I was hoping i could finish one zone. Then do the next one another time. Doesn't matter, I'll just try to generate single zone captures :). Thanks for the tool anyways, I have no idea how to work the mission editor myself.

Have you tried Foothold Syria/Caucasus? There are instructions to enable persistence. There are also extended versions of Foothold. 

• 3 months later...

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "urllib3\response.py", line 444, in _error_catcher
  File "urllib3\response.py", line 567, in read
  File "urllib3\response.py", line 533, in _fp_read
  File "http\client.py", line 465, in read
  File "socket.py", line 705, in readinto
  File "ssl.py", line 1274, in recv_into
  File "ssl.py", line 1130, in read
TimeoutError: The read operation timed out

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "requests\models.py", line 760, in generate
  File "urllib3\response.py", line 628, in stream
  File "urllib3\response.py", line 566, in read
  File "contextlib.py", line 153, in __exit__
  File "urllib3\response.py", line 449, in _error_catcher
urllib3.exceptions.ReadTimeoutError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='dcs-helicopters.com', port=443): Read timed out.

File "MissionGenerator.py", line 892, in loadModules
  File "requests\api.py", line 75, in get
  File "requests\api.py", line 61, in request
  File "requests\sessions.py", line 529, in request
  File "requests\sessions.py", line 687, in send
  File "requests\models.py", line 838, in content
  File "requests\models.py", line 767, in generate
requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='dcs-helicopters.com', port=443): Read timed out.

File "MissionGenerator.py", line 1005, in <module>
  File "MissionGenerator.py", line 894, in loadModules
TypeError: 'Logger' object is not callable

creator of ED's official F-16C liveries (WP,OS, 132nd, 152nd, 174th)
AH-64D livery contest winner 😅
kim_123456#3214

My user files https://shorturl.at/cdKV5