Pass or not pass in vr??

PLUTON

I would like to switch to virtual reality but when I see the number of people complaining about problems related to this one on the DCS forum, it slows down my desire to invest,
could someone please help me?

My configuration and:
Gigabyte Z270-HD3P-CF x.x
Intel Core i7 7700K Clocked at 4.20 GHz, measured at 4.80 GHz
32 GB of total memory type DDR4 at 3 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
2X SSD 1T°
65 inch 4K screen

I would say yes.
Your system does pass for VR in DCS.
Some like me are getting by with lower system specs.
Of course there are trade off and some tweaking to do but the immersion is just too good.
Little warning, you could hate to go back to 2d after trying vr. This happened to me.

• Like 2

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Thank you for your quick response, I appreciate it.
for the moment my parameters in dcs are all on high
cloud on ultra because I like the details on the graphics of the ground as on the planes, my setting and 2160x1440 with 60fps stable with an ir track, could I have these same parameters in virtual reality? since you talk about compromise?

in addition you tell me that I might hate to come back to 2d after that?
does that mean that the difference between trck ir and virtual reality is so great??🤔

Not likely , as your cpu and particularly your gpu are worked much harder in VR . However , the relative experiences are incomparable , and you should be able to have quite a good time in DCS VR with your rig . I certainly did on a much lessor rig than yours (6500 , 1070 , 2133 ddr4)

I haven't flown on a monitor even once since i got first the CV1 , then the RiftS , and now my G2 . And that's the problem ! 

VR is so addictively immersive that we all want more , more , more . And that is the basis for many of the "problem" posts you referenced . Other reasons include the initial setting up , which isn't a big  deal , and tweaking , which never ends because we all want more , more , more 🙂

So take the pill without fear . You may find yourself quoting Gollum , but it is a lovely ring indeed !

Just don't hold us responsible for your wallet's capacity once you do 🙂 That whole "more" thing...

• Like 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

As above, it's a slippery slope but the experience is awesome when you get it right!

I suspect that you will struggle to drive a reverb G2 at full resolution but you can downsample accordingly and still get good enough performance and because the displays are such high resolution even running at half it still looks good.

Don't get hung up about achieving super high frame rates, work on getting stable frame rates and adjust image quality to maximise the experience. There is an absolute minefield of settings and tweaks that can be applied but they're all covered in this forum.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

As above, it's a slippery slope but the experience is awesome when you get it right!

I suspect that you will struggle to drive a reverb G2 at full resolution but you can downsample accordingly and still get good enough performance and because the displays are such high resolution even running at half it still looks good.

Don't get hung up about achieving super high frame rates, work on getting stable frame rates and adjust image quality to maximise the experience. There is an absolute minefield of settings and tweaks that can be applied but they're all covered in this forum.

This all the way.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I had almost exactly the same specs as you , albeit a 2080ti up until recently and I had Steam Supersampling turned down to around 100% from 150 which to be completely honest on a Reverb G1 which is among the highest specs available out there was perfectly fine. To demonstrate that point, if you have the Hornet module for example, you can read the milibar settings easily enough on the standby altimeter down above your right knee. 

I now have a 3080ti a 12900KF and yes I have turned the SS back up to full (I forget whetehr its 140 or 150% by default) It does look a little crisper but it's a pretty marginal benefit if I am completely honest, I don't thin you would have aby real troubles. I would suggest you pick up one of the many second hand Reverbs on the market and dip your toe. The biggest trouble is not likely your specs but rather the learning curve and your ability to be patient and not assume that because it doesn't all work percectly well as soon as you switch it on then it must be terrible.

VR is the best. Good luck.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

does that mean that the difference between trck ir and virtual reality is so great??

The difference is really difficult to explain in words.
Your brains will explain better when you try vr. The sense of height, the feeling of being in the cockpit, surfing the lovely clouds, close to real dogfight experience. All these and much more cannot be put into words.
It takes being there to see the difference.
Might add that you might feel sick and nauseous for the first few days but it get better when your brain get accustomed to the experience.
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Wouaaa this is an explanation and it is said with the heart so it must be great thank you sir for transmitting to me in simple words this desire to have virtual reality.
ok i'm cracking and i'm going to start.
on the other hand, when you see an expensive ad on Amazon or elsewhere that sells a cheaper G2 reverb but without the drivers, what does that mean without the drivers??🤔

22 minutes ago, PLUTON said:

Wouaaa this is an explanation and it is said with the heart so it must be great thank you sir for transmitting to me in simple words this desire to have virtual reality.
ok i'm cracking and i'm going to start.
on the other hand, when you see an expensive ad on Amazon or elsewhere that sells a cheaper G2 reverb but without the drivers, what does that mean without the drivers??🤔

My guess would be without the controllers.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 minutes ago, PLUTON said:

So if it's just for DCS simulation, there's no need for it?
Just have the helmet? No

Correct.

Don B

Going to add this:

1: VR is amazing, but be prepared for loss of visual quality compared to flat screen. (Tradeoff 100% worth it, I only fly in VR now)

2: Be prepared for VR sickness your first few flights. Do *not* try to work through it. As soon as you start to feel any queasiness, take a break. Pushing through it will make it far worse, and take longer to get your "VR Legs" so to speak. I found I was fine for normal flying right off the bat, but took me a few flights to be ready to dogfight.

3: be prepared to tweak settings a fair bit to find your personal sweatspot for graphics and framerate.

• Like 1

Ok thank you for all these recommendations and advice thank you for taking the time to devote some time to me.
So I'll go for a Reverb G2 without the two controllers
which is at 399.00 euro rather than the one with 599.00 to start, it's very good!! what do you think??

• Like 1

If you have no intention to play any motion controlled games then that's ideal, as said you don't need the motion controllers to drive DCS.  You won't be able to interact with the steamvr overlay with the mouse but you can use an xbox controller and all options are available from the windows desktop if need be, might just need to do some digging to find them.

Worst comes to the worst you should be able to pick up some second hand wmr controllers from ebay or similar 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

5 hours ago, PLUTON said:

Ok thank you for all these recommendations and advice thank you for taking the time to devote some time to me.
So I'll go for a Reverb G2 without the two controllers
which is at 399.00 euro rather than the one with 599.00 to start, it's very good!! what do you think??

Well to be sure I think you need the controllers to set it up. I have a G@ and see no way to get past the setup without the controllers. you may not need them for DCS but during the setup of the G2 they are required.

I would NOT personnely buy them without the controllers.. 

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Yes, apparently you're right, it's best to take them with it, no worries and who knows, maybe they'll be useful to me later.
Thank you for this wise advice to all and good flights.
Normally I receive it around March 17 or 18 so I will come back to you to explain myself if necessary to configure it with steam vr or Windows Mixed Reality once again thank you all and good flights👍:pilotfly:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PLUTON said:

Yes, apparently you're right, it's best to take them with it, no worries and who knows, maybe they'll be useful to me later.
Thank you for this wise advice to all and good flights.
Normally I receive it around March 17 or 18 so I will come back to you to explain myself if necessary to configure it with steam vr or Windows Mixed Reality once again thank you all and good flights👍:pilotfly:

er, you need controllers to watch videos of adults doing things only adults do 😈
and dont refrain yourself of playing other titles like beat saber, eleven, pistol whip, against...

long story short, you need controllers for your VR experience.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

37 minutes ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

er, you need controllers to watch videos of adults doing things only adults do 😈
and dont refrain yourself of playing other titles like beat saber, eleven, pistol whip, against...

long story short, you need controllers for your VR experience.

Lol - I would strongly suggest anyone getting a VR device with controllers, a play through of Half Life Alyx.

That is one hell of a PC-VR game. I also suggest anyone thinking that well I will only use for flight sim so no need for controllers - get them anyway. Trust me on that one, once you try a good made for VR game you will be hooked. Flight sims are still my passion and get the vast majority of my time, but I also have enjoyed many hours of made for VR gaming with the controllers as well. Diversity is good. 😉

Edited by dburne
  • Like 3

Don B

I don't see how people fly without VR. 

Personally I think the GPU and the HMD should go together as a package.  With your GPU, a Rift S would be OMG perfect, if you can get your hands on one.  That would be a great way to check VR out, it'll be a good experience right out the box.  The visuals will be gorgeous.   

Take comfort in the idea that, if you hate it, you can turn around and sell the Rift S for what you paid for it.

Just keep telling yourself that.  Rest of us are all like, "He's not going back lol."  Which is true.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

2 minutes ago, DeltaMike said:

I don't see how people fly without VR. 

Personally I think the GPU and the HMD should go together as a package.  With your GPU, a Rift S would be OMG perfect, if you can get your hands on one.  That would be a great way to check VR out, it'll be a good experience right out the box.  The visuals will be gorgeous.   

Take comfort in the idea that, if you hate it, you can turn around and sell the Rift S for what you paid for it.

Just keep telling yourself that.  Rest of us are all like, "He's not going back lol."  Which is true.  

Lol - got my original Rift CV1 on Jan 15th 2017. Last day I gamed on a monitor - Jan 14th 2017.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2

Don B

Agreed with half life alyx, absolutely must play if you have controllers.

If you're not too sure about the initial expenditure of the Reverb then another cheaper alternative like the rift s is the Lenovo explorer, higher resolution than the rift s and insanely comfortable; probably a good bit cheaper than the reverb and less taxing in the system albeit ultimately not as good visuals.

edit: I also cannot fly in pancake any more, be it DCS or elite dangerous or starwars squadrons, even with head tracking it doesn't feel like you're there. Similar with racing Sims, dirt rally is a whole other ball game, leaning to look into the hairpins and spot the corner ruts. Jostling for position in project cars, again leaning to see the mirrors and look around the A pillar so you can avoid contact with your fellow racers.

I'm no longer blown away by the whole stereostropic visuals or the natural depth of field, it has become the norm which in a way is a shame but also means I'm effectively transplanted into the sim environment.

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 1

So there with what I just read in the comments!
I have to do with relentless virtual reality, thank you for these well-explained comments and I hope that I will become dependent like you on this one.
That's it I ordered a G2 reverb with the controllers
delivery in ten days.
Thank you for everything .👍

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PLUTON said:

So there with what I just read in the comments!
I have to do with relentless virtual reality, thank you for these well-explained comments and I hope that I will become dependent like you on this one.
That's it I ordered a G2 reverb with the controllers
delivery in ten days.
Thank you for everything .👍

:thumbup:

You are in for a treat!

Don B