OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

1 hour ago, winghunter said:

I also dont get seasick or airsick, even in very stormy weather

Same here.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

2 hours ago, wheelie said:

I've recently started using this and am so far really impressed but found the colours completely washed out at the begining until i dug a little deaper and found the "Appearance Tab" changed Saturation from Global to Selective and changed the individual colour settings.

Here's whats working for me at the moment.

MSFS_openXR_toolkit - Performance.JPGOpenXR_Toolkit_settings - appearance.JPG

90fps in Nevada with the Harrier at 10k and 55/60 over the strip at low level.

Now i just need to get the OBS plugin to work...

How do you enable the fixed foveated settings?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

FFR gains me 1ms at worst and 1.5ms at best depending on the settings, it's not a game changer but does give a little boost.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

7 hours ago, dburne said:

This above is the kind of stuff that really makes me leery going down the Mod route. I just don't want to spend so much time adjusting/tweaking to get a Mod to work that may or may not be of benefit to me.

Hey Don, it literally took me 3 minutes to install and no messing with anything else, you should try it, made a massive difference for me and we have similar systems. You can very simply remove it if you dont get on with it.......

• Like 1

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

7 hours ago, wheelie said:

Now i just need to get the OBS plugin to work...

The OBS plugin is working for me, but only when Upscaling is turned off. Otherwise it leaks memory.

You have to change the Mirror setting to 'enabled' in the .ini

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

12 minutes ago, beci43 said:

MR works! On the WMR home screen, you need to set the headset to OpenXR runtime. (Fix it)
The picture is perfectly smooth!

Yeah if the runtimes aren't right it will be all over the place. The rotor blade artifacts are bad regardless at the moment but on the whole MR works really well.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

14 minutes ago, edmuss said:

the whole MR works really well

i have to disagree, MR is performant across a wide, range (Much wider than SVR) but it is both slower at the moment (albeit marginal), it is noticeable/measurable even at a gross measuring the FPS in a scene level,  and produces more visual artefacts than SVR, if you use SVR in Forced mode and can keep your GPU/CPU in the appropriate frametime ... it is a balance of positives vs negatives...

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

vor 37 Minuten schrieb beci43:

MR works! On the WMR home screen, you need to set the headset to OpenXR runtime. (Fix it)
The picture is perfectly smooth!

Hi,

how can I set the HP G2 to OpenXR runtime? I cannot find the settings in WMR home 

I never mentioned about the performance hit of running MR, largely a moot point as any fps loss is generally masked by the smoothing. It's still not quite to the same level as SVR for artifacting yet but there is an existing issue that is known about and should hopefully fix the remaining differences compared to the smoothing provided by WMR4SVR (it's almost identical code).

Edited by edmuss
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, A.F. said:

Hi,

how can I set the HP G2 to OpenXR runtime? I cannot find the settings in WMR home 

It is in the OpenXR Developer Tools for Mixed Reality app (available from the Microsoft Store). If the runtime is not installed and selected I believe you will get an option here

wmr runtime 0.png

14 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

i have to disagree, MR is performant across a wide, range (Much wider than SVR) but it is both slower at the moment (albeit marginal), it is noticeable/measurable even at a gross measuring the FPS in a scene level,  and produces more visual artefacts than SVR, if you use SVR in Forced mode and can keep your GPU/CPU in the appropriate frametime ... it is a balance of positives vs negatives...

I would welcome improvements for sure but for now it is working well enough that OpenXR with MR is a significantly better experience for me then SVR after some back to back testing. Bearing in mind my 8500K & 2080Ti leaves me on the cusp of 45fps with SVR on anything other than lightweight missions.

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Baldrick33:

It is in the OpenXR Developer Tools for Mixed Reality app (available from the Microsoft Store). If the runtime is not installed and selected I believe you will get an option here

Ok, thank you very much, I have it!
But when I click on OpenXR-demo scene, nothing happens.
Is that right?

1 minute ago, A.F. said:

Ok, thank you very much, I have it!
But when I click on OpenXR-demo scene, nothing happens.
Is that right?

I get no OXR demo loading if MR is turned off, not too sure why. See if it works with MR set to always on in OXRDT.

vor 9 Minuten schrieb edmuss:

I get no OXR demo loading if MR is turned off, not too sure why. See if it works with MR set to always on in OXRDT.

Thank you, that worked.
I had hoped that something was not set correctly.
My experience with MR is not yet good, but then at least it wasn't because of that. 😜

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

I never mentioned about the performance hit of running MR, largely a moot point as any fps loss is generally masked by the smoothing. It's still not quite to the same level as SVR for artifacting yet but there is an existing issue that is known about and should hopefully fix the remaining differences compared to the smoothing provided by WMR4SVR (it's almost identical code).

I look forward to that fix and trying it again 🙂

1 hour ago, Baldrick33 said:

Bearing in mind my 8500K & 2080Ti leaves me on the cusp of 45fps with SVR on anything other than lightweight missions.

I really do think thats the sweet spot at the moment.  I also think that OpenXR is the right way forward.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

51 minutes ago, A.F. said:

My experience with MR is not yet good, but then at least it wasn't because of that. 😜

You might want to try the SteamVR OpenXR runtime "fix"

Make sure you have Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR set to beta (right click on it in Steam and go to the beta tab)

Run SteamVR and open settings. Select Developer, click on "Set SteamVR as OpenXR Runtime". Close settings

Windows Mixed Reality Portal should now prompt you that it is not the default OPenXR Runtime. Click on Fix to set it back.

This worked for me (thanks to @edmussfor discovering it - I don't know quite how!)

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

@speed-of-heat mate are you able to do me favor. I had a friend with a 3090 where I finally was able to replicate the sub-optimal performance that some have been experiencing. By your replies it leads me to believe that this might be the case for you. It turned out that somehow he had a version of old OpenXR installed. It refused to update. I removed all three apps and installed OpenXR Developer tools. Then navigated to the right most tab inside the Tools App which gave me a link to install the OpenXR Runtime via the Windows Store (something that I could not find by searching the store alone) - I installed that, didn't bother with the toolkit and got instantly the performance that I was used to with my 6900XT - (reprojection was off)

The difference in frametime consistency and textures (clarity) was so night and day for me that I did not need any apps to tell me what was going on. I can see the individual bits of fluff on the F-16 seats. Fingerprints and scuffs on the MFD screens of F-18. In the F-14 I can read the Test Panel Switch (Bottom far right). This was impossible no matter the % in SteamVR. If it doesn't make you go 'wow' it's not working properly

image.png

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, nikoel said:

@speed-of-heat mate are you able to do me favor. I had a friend with a 3090 where I finally was able to replicate the sub-optimal performance that some have been experiencing. By your replies it leads me to believe that this might be the case for you. It turned out that somehow he had a version of old OpenXR installed. It refused to update. I removed all three apps and installed OpenXR Developer tools. Then navigated to the right most tab inside the Tools App which gave me a link to install the OpenXR Runtime via the Windows Store (something that I could not find by searching the store alone) - I installed that, didn't bother with the toolkit and got instantly the performance that I was used to with my 6900XT - (reprojection was off)

The difference in frametime consistency and textures (clarity) was so night and day for me that I did not need any apps to tell me what was going on. I can see the individual bits of fluff on the F-16 seats. Fingerprints and scuffs on the MFD screens of F-18. In the F-14 I can read the Test Panel Switch (Bottom far right). This was impossible no matter the % in SteamVR. If it doesn't make you go 'wow' it's not working properly

image.png

I thought I would give this a go. Same result as before for me. Instant action Cauc/F18 free flight. FPS fluctuates between 60-80. Not at all smooth looking sideways, unplayable really.

With MR always on, very smooth@45 or 90

I've had this conversation before with a mate who swears that he's having a  smooth experience with Steam VR/motion smoothing off. Never got to the bottom of why we were having different experiences. 

Edited by oz555

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

Last night I posted a bug in the VR bugs forum, however I'm no longer sure it's purely a DCS bug because it only seems to occur when running OXR.  This didn't happen with SVR.  I've seen one other user report this issue earlier in the thread.

Some water textures disappear as per pic below.water texture.jpg

I also get a black box at the front of the cockpit as below, where I can look to the sides of the aircraft with no issues but this black box covers the cockpit front panel and windscreen.  It sometimes disappears for a little while.  In addition, the picture on the TGP is often obscured even when the black box is not present, and only zooming in to maximum zoom on the pod seems to clear it.  It's almost like the TGP has it's own version of that big black box blocking my forward view.

black box.jpg

Reverting to SVR fixed this issue, and then cleaning, repairing and reinstalling OXR brought them back.  I'm very much hoping that this is just a user error of some kind, but I'm not sure what else I could be doing wrong.  Any suggestions or advice would be very welcome.

52 minutes ago, nikoel said:

image.png

I was certainly on a much earlier version, i will give it a go and revert.

1 hour ago, nikoel said:

image.png

so I was running a version of OpenXR for WMR that came out in feb, now it shows april 2, whilst that does seem to have evened out the frame rate differences. The visual artefacts remain high by comparison this can be easily seen by looking at the wing tip sidewinders in an F-18 at low level and watch them thrusting backwards and forwards like a battery charged adult toy... MR off, the cockpit is fine and detailed and i would almost say "brighter" and outside juddering  especially if you look left or right, not so much straight ahead.

i'd also have to say there felt like a qualitive difference between MR being on and off... hard to put my finger on, awareness at the periphery ... like the FFR wasnt playing as nice under MR

• Like 2

Without wanting to sound like a bell end, those dates in the screenshots are the install dates of the components, not the release date of the version installed, right? Advanced shows the actual version installed:

image.png

Edited by zildac

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

3 hours ago, Baldrick33 said:

wmr runtime 0.png

I would welcome improvements for sure but for now it is working well enough that OpenXR with MR is a significantly better experience for me then SVR after some back to back testing. Bearing in mind my 8500K & 2080Ti leaves me on the cusp of 45fps with SVR on anything other than lightweight missions.

Weird. Just checked mine and is still shows...
What'd I break now?

WMR.jpg

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark