VR FPS

Jarhead0331

dropping frames means that your vr system is having to redraw frames because of stuttering. It means that it cant keep up with demand.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Just passing this on...

I got mine able to run now.

- changed pixel density from 1.2 to 1.0. 

- changed monocular from right eye to left eye, as suggested here

- lowered my textures from high to medium

My game went from a complete slideshow to playable for now. I'm gonna try and bump these settings back up individually and see what I can get away with.  Hope this might help some of you. 

4 hours ago, JJJ said:

Just passing this on...

I got mine able to run now.

- changed pixel density from 1.2 to 1.0. 

- changed monocular from right eye to left eye, as suggested here

- lowered my textures from high to medium

My game went from a complete slideshow to playable for now. I'm gonna try and bump these settings back up individually and see what I can get away with.  Hope this might help some of you. 

I tried these and they worked. Idk that i want to keep medium textures as everything looked blurry and not good...Switched to high and everything was crisp. Otherwise, all other tips worked for me exactly. I will say, having it rendered to left and def "both eyes" really throws you off in VR since the piece is on the right eye lol.

Ryzen 7 5800x w/ PBO on, RTX 3070ti w/ OC, 32 GB RAM @3000 | Quest 2, Virpil Joystick, Throttle, and Rudder

The first take offs in VR with the ´64 were fine fps wise, but after starting the third and fourth instant action mission a massive fps loss kicked in and is now permanent.

My system is a 3080ti, i9 10900k @4,9 GHz, no mods.

Don´t have any fps problems with the other modules in VR. What I wonder about is, that the fps in the Apache were good in the beginning, but degraded massively at a certain point. 

I won´t change my graphical settings, as they are proven solid with the other modules and waiting for an update or Vulkan to get back in the Apache.
Wonder if that right eye monocle changed to left or both would do a trick ...

Edit: remember from yesterday, that the massive FPS drop kicked in, when I´d set the FLIR on to a MFD at the pilot seat for the very first time. But FPS drop now stays even I don´t have the FLIR paged... 

Edited by Rosebud47

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

8 hours ago, Jarhead0331 said:

Son of a gun...this seems to have been the problem. Frames back into the mid-60s.  Why the hell would that be?

IDK Im thinking the Apache is loading the CPU or GPU too much.  Dont have the Apache as yet.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

I posted about this also.... However what I have noticed is degraded performance. On initial install and following a few reboots my frame rate in VR was as good as all my other modules but since my frame rate has descended to unplayable levels. This only seems to affect the AH-64 as all other modules are fine. I have an RTX370, Ryzen 7 and 32GB RAM and usually get exceptional performance in VR with a Rift S.

I can confirm for me and my VR setup (VP2, 3080, 5800x) that Textures = High is abysmal performance in VR, it dramatically improves* with that set to Medium. Terrain textures I can leave on high.

*like 10x improves

Edited by BigBANGtheory
more info

Just turning the textures down from high to medium was enough to keep it from crashing for me. Im running at 2xMSAA now with everything else loaded at a butter smooth 45fps, but the only caveat was that I absolutely HAD to drop the textures down to medium. The textures are a bit too much for the bandwidth for VR to handle, so gonna have to wait until someone makes an FPS friendly set of cockpit textures. Once I turned textures to high, I had to drop EVERYTHING else down or turn off in order to keep from OOM'ing. Spent well over 6 hours troubleshooting this yesterday..

You want to try this yourself? Delete everything but your input folder in saved games/dcs/config folder and start again. Start with tweaking your in-game settings like radios, SRS, special tabs and realism settings then move to your system settings. Before you do though, just run the Apache again and rebuild those items you just deleted. Then one by one, start tweaking your graphics settings; dont start at textures, stop at textures. Just work your way up the settings list and finish off with textures. You'll see. If you finish off with textures, youll see that all your previous settings can be applied. If you start off with textures, you wont be able to set much of anything else. Honestly, I think it has to do with the monocle model being rendered in the right eye only. There is a setting in special that allows you to disable the monocle. A juicy bit of info - SSLR is what gives the carrier its wet look when its raining.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

1 hour ago, BigBANGtheory said:

I can confirm for me and my VR setup (VP2, 3080, 5800x) that Textures = High is abysmal performance in VR, it dramatically improves* with that set to Medium. Terrain textures I can leave on high.

*like 10x improves

Agreed but for me, and ill need to tinker with PD or something, the blurriness was pretty strong and it wasnt all crisp. but to me id think textures was just that, not the visual looking out. it only went blurry when i switched to medium

Ryzen 7 5800x w/ PBO on, RTX 3070ti w/ OC, 32 GB RAM @3000 | Quest 2, Virpil Joystick, Throttle, and Rudder

1 minute ago, w00k said:

I9 9990K, 3080TI, 32gb RAM, I am also experiencing a significant frame rate drop when flying the Apache. This is pretty disappointing!

read up

• Like 1

My wallpaper and skins

I know this is just anecdotal, but I just finished a 1.5 hour multiplayer session on a busy multiplayer server.  I have already adjusted my settings so the apache is very smooth in most situations (1080ti, i78700k, ssd, G2), however during this particular session I noticed a constant decrease in performance. 

This has happened in the past with other modules.  It seems there is some sort of video memory leak.  I am going to trouble shoot more when I have time, but it really seems the longer you are in the bird, the worse the performance gets

I think there's some problem with unloading memory. I bound a button to alt-tab, and every time my frames start to tank, I hit that button to alt tab out for 5-20 secs. This stabilises the FPS again for another 1-10 minutes, at least until DCS crashes (or until I crash the helo while alt-tabbed). Quest with an NVMe drive and 32GB.

Performance is unchanged in the Hornet. Hecking terrible in the Apache. It's straight up broken in VR. Haven't tested (and won't) in flatscreen.

Edited by ruprecht

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

in flat screen its just fine

My wallpaper and skins

1 hour ago, davidrbarnette said:

I resolved much of my FPS issues by changing textures to medium, vis range to low, and changing the HDU monocle from right eye to both.

It messes with my eyes a bit when in "both" lmao, feel crosseyed

I ran a baseline test, sitting at Kuboleti, in parked hot Apache, Viper, Hornet, Warthog, Mosquito and Huey. The Apache was half of the FPS of the other modules and very jerky when moving my head . With the Apache I get 30fps , 60 with the others (120 MHz refresh rate/ Oculus Quest 2)

So, I removed all the mods and did a slow repair as suggested by Nineline and repeated the test: no difference.

I didn't want to ruin the visual and performance quality in my other modules, so I doublechecked my PC settings, I have 64Gb of RAM and had a page file of 10Gb... On a whim, decided to bump the page file (which is in a SSD) to 64Gb and reduced the refresh rate to 90Mhz in the Q2. Repeated the test and all the modules are pretty much locked at 45fps now. The movement jerkiness is still there but not as bad as before (any ideas on how to fix that are welcome) . Upgraded the Apache to "passable" .

During the testing I found another issue: the Oculus Links keeps crashing... Started yesterday and it is not module specific, even happened once in virtual desktop. I believe it is related to a beta update for the Q2 software (bad timing FB bad timing...). I'm in the process of reverting it and retesting.  

Edited by Draken35

20 hours ago, Jarhead0331 said:

Son of a gun...this seems to have been the problem. Frames back into the mid-60s.  Why the hell would that be?

possibly you havent enough GFX memory on your GPU to handle everything that is being thrown at it

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

Spoke to soon... After doing a sortie with the Viper to test the Oculus Link crashing and confirming performance, I decided to take the AH64 for a ride in my baseline mission. Just me and 5 red armor located in the X airfield... Spent sometime on the ground playing with the MFD (no video or FLIR displayed at anytime) and took off... FPS locked at 45.... Studently,  after a 3 minutes in the air, FPS dropped to 18 and none of the usual tricks (ALT+Tab, F10 map...) worked.

After a few tests I can confirm that Textures on High is definitely killing fps.

With my usual settings, I get 45fps with all modules, in my Reverb G2.
In the Apache, I'm only around 20-25. Simply changing Textures to Medium and I get 45fps in the Apache too.

(Intel 11900k, RTX 3080TI, 32Gb Ram)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S