So, VR...

CybrSlydr

15 minutes ago, CybrSlydr said:

I'm going to order TrackIR instead.

TrackIR (or similar) is a rock solid option to play DCS. There's the obvious lack of depth perception, but a big improvement to performance and visual clarity.

I have both, but usually opt for TrackIR instead of VR. Especially when I want to do serious stuff, like flying in multiplayer, doing a mission and so on. I only use VR for "sight seeing flights" most of the time.

Take your time to adjust your curves for TrackIR though! The pleasure and ease of use scales a lot with proper curves.

Sidenote: Unless you have to deal with bright external light sources (especially sunlight), the basic track clip is absolutely sufficient. You don't need the active (cabled) IR emitter. (Pro-Clip)

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

5 minutes ago, Hiob said:

TrackIR (or similar) is a rock solid option to play DCS. There's the obvious lack of depth perception, but a big improvement to performance and visual clarity.

Agree:  VR is nice but has too many compromises.

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

12 minutes ago, CybrSlydr said:
14 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

Have you used TrackIR or similar before to compare?

I have not, no.  Never used it before.

But one of the things I enjoyed about the headset the most was the head tracking.  Freeing up the trim hat switch on my Cougar is also pretty nice.

Then my crazy thread here may help 🙂

You can get to compare the experiences, even if you have a VR headset perched on your head you should get the idea.

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

23 minutes ago, CybrSlydr said:

I have not, no.  Never used it before.

But one of the things I enjoyed about the headset the most was the head tracking.  Freeing up the trim hat switch on my Cougar is also pretty nice.

Track IR should do the same for you freeing up those buttons.

But the two devices can not really be compared, one is a head mounted display whilst the other is just a tracker. Two very different things.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I would use an active trackclip for TrackIR. The reflector clip might work, but unless you are NOT using headphones, its not worth the hassle. A cheap Trackclip clone for 30-40$ (wired or wireless) does the trick perfectly. Just a heads up: TrackIR is not 1:1 head movement as VR. You will need to get used to this as well.

I fly most of the time with my montior and TrackIR. Sometimes I do some VR in the G2, but I have the same issues. Clarity in the center, blurry mess everywhere else. To many compromises.

Edited by Gruman
  • Like 2

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Well, as soon as you try trackIR you will miss the 1:1 tracking of the VR Headset. Just so natural.

But obviously you won't have a choice with TrackIR, simply because you still need to look at your monitor :).

• Like 2

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Took the G2 back for a return today. 

VR is pretty freaking awesome, I just don't have a system really capable of it at a price-point I can afford.

Once this return is done processing (yay, 15% restocking fee...), I'll look into getting a TrackIR 5.  Bastard is expensive and not easy to find.

EDIT:  <profanity> - just saw I forgot to pack that "World's Worst Excuse for Cable Management" clip thing that goes on the back of the headband. 

Edited by CybrSlydr

Trackir is replaced very cheaply by a 3D printed clip and a ps3 eyetoy camera running opentrack 🙂

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

41 minutes ago, PLUTON said:

I am selling a track ir 5 with a pro clip + a reflector (all) for 100 euro.
But here I do not think that this forum is a site of sale!!🤫

There is a "For Sale" section in the Hardware forum.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I think I'm going to get that DelanClip with camera package when I get paid.

Certainly not as easy to play the Apache with a hat switch instead of head tracking.

Also a lot cheaper than TrackIR.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Weird I have a G2 and 6800xt and they run great together. I used to have a Track IR but was a bit meh to me and never got into DCS properly until I got my first VR headset. 

What CPU do you have? I just have an 8700k.

I also play Liberation exclusively, no MP either.

On 4/5/2022 at 4:03 PM, PLUTON said:

I am selling a track ir 5 with a pro clip + a reflector (all) for 100 euro.
But here I do not think that this forum is a site of sale!!🤫

That aint no deal.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

After doing some reading, I'm wondering if I'd have a better experience with a Pimax 5k Super?  

It's lower resolution, but much higher FOV and I might be able to push the refresh rate higher than with the G2 as well.  1440 each eye vs 2160.

4 hours ago, CybrSlydr said:

After doing some reading, I'm wondering if I'd have a better experience with a Pimax 5k Super?  

It's lower resolution, but much higher FOV and I might be able to push the refresh rate higher than with the G2 as well.  1440 each eye vs 2160.

From my experience with a 5K+ the Reverb G1 was a significant upgrade image wise. Didn't miss the FOV with such an improvement. The extra FOV means 2560 per eye wide, still less overall than the G2. Personally I would rather run a G2 at a lower res than have the Pimax 5K+. I can't speak for the Super but spec wise it looks similar.

Edited by Baldrick33
  • Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

From my experience with a 5K+ the Reverb G1 was a significant upgrade image wise. Didn't miss the FOV with such an improvement. The extra FOV means 2560 per eye wide, still less overall than the G2. Personally I would rather run a G2 at a lower res than have the Pimax 5K+. I can't speak for the Super but spec wise it looks similar.
Really appreciate your input, thank you!

Welcome to the party!

• Like 1

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE