AI F-14 Game freezing/not responding

rmk80
Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

24 minutes ago, boerdi said:

All the while "browsing" through the other units.

This has always caused me massive massive stutters; the only semi fix for this is to basically drop your preload radius down to 0, and it MIGHT semi-prevent it.

But that specifically is nothing new; that's been the case for many many years now.

21 hours ago, silverdevil said:

@boerdi i am guessing that when you were jumping from AC to AC views, you got on a harrier. it generated an error on the texture

have you tried going through a mission without flipping through units? each time you get another AC, the sim needs to do another texture.

Well, the idea was to force a freeze to find out if disabling Tacview made a difference.

Most of the time I browse "normally" through units to see what's up on the map or to check if the carrier deck is free.

But I also had freezes happen in cockpit, e.g. landing on carrier, turning on deck to park and bam, freeze.

21 hours ago, XCNuse said:

This has always caused me massive massive stutters; the only semi fix for this is to basically drop your preload radius down to 0, and it MIGHT semi-prevent it.

But that specifically is nothing new; that's been the case for many many years now.

My current preload radius is 150000

On my system, browsing through units is rather fast and usually no problem. Even on a busy MP server.

The freezes have always shared these traits:

- MP server with at least a couple of players up to full server.

- Proximity to carrier. On deck or in a 20-40 nm bubble around it.

- AI Tomcats in the vicinity.

- With one exception to the presence of AI Tomcats: Game froze once on Hoggit GAW (Caucasus) with no AI Tomcats present (in phase 1 of map). But in phase 2 of the map there is a possibility that they pop up on carrier deck or around carrier trying to land. So there is a possibilty that these Tomcats may be buried (non-activated) in the mission file even in phase 1.

[edit]

I'll throw in my examples from July again:

[edit 2]

Here is another example of in-cockpit freeze I had on Hoggit's PGAW (with AI Tomcats) without F2 "browsing"
Freeze at end just after raising the hook and turning my head to taxi off the landing deck.

Edited by boerdi
  • Like 1

Updated to 2.8 and it froze for me again on Cage the Bear campaign mission 6. I was about 40 nm from the carrier and it froze when I called ATC and received the response from mother.

I avoided F2 views, but did use the map view throughout.

GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, driver 462.31, i7-9750H 2.6 GHz, 16GB RAM

Funny thing is I have not had a single freeze since 2.8. And I have been flying 8 Liberation missions so far with lots of F-14s and view changes (F2). 
Of course this doesn’t mean a thing until you get one, but I do find it odd and it has been months since I could actually return to the carrier in these missions.

I will of course report back if I break my lucky chain 😁

I just loaded up DCS after updating to 2.8 (non-steam version) because I still haven't tried the Apache that I pre-ordered.  I was in-cockpit, on the tarmac hot-start training mission.  I have Trackhat running and all my usual peripherals.  It was all going fine until I started switching views with F9, F3 and then F2 when it froze hard and I had to shut it down.  I have rarely ever had freezes like that.  I will look into it more when I get a chance.  5600X/EVGA 3070

Edited by aleader

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

Another data point, Raven One Dominant Fury Mission 8 froze on RTB, almost exactly 40NM from mother. Very consistent with the previous crashes I've had. Log attached (Open Beta 2.8)

dcs.log

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Pretty tough to troubleshoot the F2 freezing, no consistant errors in the logs.  Have disabled all mods with no effect.  Tried removing TacView. So far 5 mission complete with no F2 (or  any) game freezing.  Added back all mods, cycling external views with carriers and all kinds of AI for a good 30 minutes....still good.  Fingers crossed...

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 6:51 PM, rmk80 said:

Funny thing is I have not had a single freeze since 2.8. And I have been flying 8 Liberation missions so far with lots of F-14s and view changes (F2). 
Of course this doesn’t mean a thing until you get one, but I do find it odd and it has been months since I could actually return to the carrier in these missions.

I will of course report back if I break my lucky chain 😁

Ok, that didn't take too long. Just had a freeze when switching views.

Just found this topic. 

We are a virtual wing with many, many missions in Syria with the SC. We’ve had exactly this issue for many months and have tried many thing like you’ve said without improvement. 
We freeze between 20-50 nm from the carrier in a wint which has f18s and f14s. 
It is very immersion breaking and annoying, and it is incredibly disappointing to see it hasn’t been fixed yet. We check server and client logs everytime and can’t find any issue.

• Like 1

Man, the freezes really kick you in the nuts every time and I just want to wind down after work...

Aircraft: in the F-16 this time (freeze happened in cockpit, no F viewing)
Server: Hoggit's Georgia at War
Played 2 rounds before this one without a hitch
On number 3 the freeze hit
Took off Anapa, followed a friendly Froggy a bit, dropped a couple of flares to say goodbye, turned my head to buster to the AO and bam... freezykovsky
Distance to Roosevelt: in the 40-50 nm range

Detailed log attached...

And here is also the DCS minidump created by Process Explorer (Google Drive folder) -> DOWNLOAD

dcs.log

Edited by boerdi

This is getting extremely frustrating. I can't do anything in this game right now. Had to shelve Raven One, started Bold Cheetah, it was fine until mission 4, now I've experienced the same on that campaign. So I guess I'll shelve that campaign too.

I'm running out of content that actually WORKS.

Here's another log.

dcs.log

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

@Sandman1330 That freeze of yours has an explanation. Here's the last lines of your log:

2022-11-11 20:32:53.274 INFO    SCRIPTING (Main): Error in SCHEDULER function:[string "C:\Users\Kelly\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00001A00.lua"]:107021: attempt to index field 'tanker' (a nil value)
2022-11-11 20:32:53.274 INFO    SCRIPTING (Main): stack traceback:
	[string "C:\Users\Kelly\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00001A00.lua"]:7187: in function <[string "C:\Users\Kelly\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00001A00.lua"]:7183>
	[string "C:\Users\Kelly\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00001A00.lua"]:107021: in function 'EventFunction'
	[string "C:\Users\Kelly\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00001A00.lua"]:7522: in function <[string "C:\Users\Kelly\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00001A00.lua"]:7521>
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
	[string "C:\Users\Kelly\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00001A00.lua"]:7520: in function 'onEvent'
	[string "Scripts/World/EventHandlers.lua"]:13: in function <[string "Scripts/World/EventHandlers.lua"]:11>

The mission is bugged and it has something to do with tankers.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

5 hours ago, Flappie said:

@Sandman1330 That freeze of yours has an explanation. Here's the last lines of your log:

2022-11-11 20:32:53.274 INFO    SCRIPTING (Main): Error in SCHEDULER function:[string "C:\Users\Kelly\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00001A00.lua"]:107021: attempt to index field 'tanker' (a nil value)
2022-11-11 20:32:53.274 INFO    SCRIPTING (Main): stack traceback:
	[string "C:\Users\Kelly\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00001A00.lua"]:7187: in function <[string "C:\Users\Kelly\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00001A00.lua"]:7183>
	[string "C:\Users\Kelly\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00001A00.lua"]:107021: in function 'EventFunction'
	[string "C:\Users\Kelly\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00001A00.lua"]:7522: in function <[string "C:\Users\Kelly\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00001A00.lua"]:7521>
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
	[string "C:\Users\Kelly\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00001A00.lua"]:7520: in function 'onEvent'
	[string "Scripts/World/EventHandlers.lua"]:13: in function <[string "Scripts/World/EventHandlers.lua"]:11>

The mission is bugged and it has something to do with tankers.

Interesting… it presented identically to the freeze bug we are discussing here. You sure this is the cause of the crash, and not something secondary? No one else has reported this bug in the Bold Cheetah thread. If it’s a bugged mission others should be seeing it too.

Edited by Sandman1330

7 hours ago, Sandman1330 said:

Interesting… it presented identically to the freeze bug we are discussing here. You sure this is the cause of the crash, and not something secondary? No one else has reported this bug in the Bold Cheetah thread. If it’s a bugged mission others should be seeing it too.

I'm pretty sure considering these happen at the very last lines of your log. Maybe the mission file unzipped in your Temp folder is faulty. Please try this:

1. Go to "C:\Users\your_windows_login\AppData\Local\Temp"
  2. Delete the "DCS.openbeta" folder.
  3. Now try the mission again.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

6 hours ago, Flappie said:

I'm pretty sure considering these happen at the very last lines of your log. Maybe the mission file unzipped in your Temp folder is faulty. Please try this:

1. Go to "C:\Users\your_windows_login\AppData\Local\Temp"
  2. Delete the "DCS.openbeta" folder.
  3. Now try the mission again.

Thanks for your assistance, but I’m not going to re-fly a 2hr campaign mission that I already completed (crash happened on RTB after mission completion, as is the usual). I’ve already spent far too much of my time troubleshooting this bug, I’m moving on 🙂

CTD twice Syria Map tonight, 555 server

Apache

Setup: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   3.79 GHz

Corsair 32.0 GB

Nvidia RTX 2060 Super.

Any ideas please?  getting annoying now

dcs.log.old dcs.log

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   Turbo 5.1 GHz, Asus Prime Motherboard B460M-A, Nvidia Geoforce RTX4090, 64gB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 3600Mhz,Windows 10 Pro Reverb G2V2

Today was patch day and game froze in the very first round 🙂
OB 2.8.0.32937

Aircraft: F/A-18 (freeze happened in cockpit, no F viewing)
Server: Hoggit's Persian Gulf at War
On my way back to the Roosevelt after SEAD sortie
Distance to carrier: 27 nm
AI Tomcats present: Yes

Detailed log attached

DCS minidump created by Process Explorer (Google Drive folder) -> DOWNLOAD

dcs.log