Varjo Aero: General guide for new owners

Supmua

High res cockpit as well as high shadows in the setting, then fly in sunrise/sunset scenes.  If you haven’t tried these combo you might be missing out on the visual feast.  The Aero is made for these.

• Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

What about night flying? I have been struggling with the blacks being really greyish, I have tried to decrease brightness to the minimum and it's a bit better but not great. I assume nothing we can do about it?

vor 10 Stunden schrieb chev255:

What about night flying? I have been struggling with the blacks being really greyish, I have tried to decrease brightness to the minimum and it's a bit better but not great. I assume nothing we can do about it?

Try "reshade"....i use it to optimize colors and contrast. Its not a game-changer but you can deepen the blacks aswell. Works fine but not 100% pefect like a proper OLED or QLED panel!

"...dont kill me because i´m calling the F-16 the Fighting Falcon...i´m born in 1977 ;)"

MY SYSTEM: Intel i9 13900KF @ 24x 3,0Ghz | MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 | NVidia Geforce RTX 4090 | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64Gb RAM @5200Mhz | Varjo Aero | 2x Samsung 980Pro M.2 NVMe SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Rudder | Win10 Pro | DCS Open Beta | Voice Attack
MOTION RIG: DOF Reality H6 with new SFU motors + Witmotion Sensor (Motion Compensation)
CURRENTLY FLYING: F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-14A/B Tomcat | AH-64D Apache

20 hours ago, chev255 said:

You need an OLED headset for optimal night flying.  True blacks don’t happen with LED or LCD panels, maybe microLED but that tech is years away from being affordable.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

13 hours ago, darkman222 said:

what about local dimming of the Pimax Crystal?

I doubt it will offer true blacks, but I haven’t tried it, not planning to buy one…because High-end OLED panels are coming.  It will probably start with Apple’s headset.  These panels will likely be coming to newer PCVR/XR HMDs depending on who’s willing to pay big bucks to secure the supply chain besides Apple.

16 hours ago, darkman222 said:

what about local dimming of the Pimax Crystal?

After my 8kx experience both with product and support I would avoid chasing Pimax IMHO

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

@Burt… did your Aero arrive yet?

@MAThrasher how are things going with your Aero?

*moving conversation from Aero Spring Sale thread

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

@Rodeo  Yes, I’m waiting on a APC power surge protector and some smart plugs for the trackers. I should have everything installed and ready for the Wow !!! This weekend. As far as open box I was impressed by the quality and how light it was. It’s gonna take a couple more moves to fly with Aero as far as headphones and turning things on but I’m ready for the transition from to easy put on your headset and fly G2. Also waiting on my vroptician inserts which are out for delivery today. Thanks for asking 👍🏻

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

5 hours ago, Burt said:

@Rodeo  Yes, I’m waiting on a APC power surge protector and some smart plugs for the trackers. I should have everything installed and ready for the Wow !!! This weekend. As far as open box I was impressed by the quality and how light it was. It’s gonna take a couple more moves to fly with Aero as far as headphones and turning things on but I’m ready for the transition from to easy put on your headset and fly G2. Also waiting on my vroptician inserts which are out for delivery today. Thanks for asking 👍🏻

Awesome.. I have zero experience with the G2 but for me the simplicity of the Aero integration with DCS/OpenXR is so nice compared to 8kx start up “procedures”. The headphone integration is quite easy and nice with the Nova 7 plus I like that the Nova bluetooths to my phone so I don’t miss the wife’s calls while flying 🤣

• Like 1

Has anyone worked out the optimal resolution settings/multipliers?   Surely there's a value that matches the native resolution of the headset, for the focus area, so there's little point in going over that, because you'd just be giving up frames for no reason.

I could just do the math if I knew what fraction of the display area the focus region occupied, but I haven't seen that anywhere.   Overall native resolution of the whole display (per eye) is 2880x2720, right?

Right now I'm running on high, because that gives me the resolution I want for the peripheral area at x1.0, and a focus area multiplier (x1.11525) that brings it up to where it defaults at 'highest', 1200x1200.   That seems pretty good, I haven't noticed any big improvements if I jack it up higher.

Also, the focus area does appear to be overlaid over the peripheral area; if you dial the peripheral area resolution down enough, you can see some ghosting/smudging underneath the focus area display.   I noticed it mostly in the F16's DED display, which I was staring at because I remember being able to see the individual display pixels when sitting back in the cockpit.   Now I can only see them if I move my face closer to it (hence, the obsession with checking if I'm running at suboptimal resolution)

Or if running at a higher multiplier has benefits from effectively supersampling, that would be good to know too

So after “stress testing” the Sinai map and my Aero.. granted I’m aware of what a beast my overall system is now but WOW it is a great time to be an Aero owner!!!

Flew OV-10 mod (the most demanding aircraft on a VR system I’ve experienced ) at sunset from Cairo West and circled the pyramids at low altitude until all the lights of the city came on.  I was well above 65fps until then and then a slow down and stutter for approximately 90 seconds at a frame rate as low as 42 but averaged low 50s. I was flying into the city with the traffic and city’s light getting into full effect.  After the lighting transition “completed” with sunset I again was 65fps+ and was averaging high 70s or very low 80s and running silky smooth. A couple minor stutters but nothing like I normally experience with the OV-10. This was all done on MT with most setting as high you can set and civilian traffic on medium. 

Just thought y’all would like to know. 🍻

• Thanks 1

On my list to try with my new Aero is seeing what kind of fps I get with my specs now unlocking the 45fps in VB. I plan to upgrade my system sometimes next year and thinking ahead purchasing the Aero. But yeah the Cairo and the pyramids location on the Sinai map at sunset is beautiful ! And performance is surprising pretty good in the contested cities at low altitude. You have a great rig for the Aero, if you get a chance to upgrade your rudder pedals I highly-highly recommend the Thrustmaster TRP rudder pedals. I know one thing at a time right 😄

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Just throwing an idea out there, shouldn't this thread be pinned to the top of the Virtual Reality forum?  The very first post by @Supmua is very informative and useful.  There is now a "Varjo Support Link" but it doesn't contain very much.  That support link could be added to this thread in the first post.  Just my 2 cents...  

Windows 11, GPU: RTX-4090, Ram: 32gb, CPU: 12700k, Headset: Varjo Aero

5 hours ago, Burt said:

if you get a chance to upgrade your rudder pedals I highly-highly recommend the Thrustmaster TRP rudder pedals

Oh I have them.. guess I missed adding to the signature.  I have a full sim pit that eventually I will get around to posting about and reviewing.  🍻

• Like 1

So I’ve been looking for power switch for my Aero. I know others have suggested smart home plugs which I’m sure works great given the valued members that suggested it but I was working something to fit within my hybrid sim pit. 

I just found this a few days ago and was very impressed.  I haven’t properly mounted it yet but fits very nicely into my over all rig and works simple and effective. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BW8KS2Y1?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2023 at 2:59 AM, Rodeo said:

So I’ve been looking for power switch for my Aero. I know others have suggested smart home plugs which I’m sure works great given the valued members that suggested it but I was working something to fit within my hybrid sim pit. 

I just found this a few days ago and was very impressed.  I haven’t properly mounted it yet but fits very nicely into my over all rig and works simple and effective. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BW8KS2Y1?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

I recently got myself 3 of these from Renkforce to replace my collection of other boxes. Easily mountable and this way I can switch on/off the Aero by itself, or together with the base stations. The only issue is that the connectors are horizontal and with the larger Aero and Vive base station adapters I lose 2 ports per device. For me no biggie.

image.png

Edited by Ready
  • Like 1

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Bonjour à tous,

Tout d'abord, un grand merci pour votre guide et votre soutien qui m'a beaucoup aidé.

Depuis la dernière mise à jour DCS, j'ai énormément perdu en FPS. je suis dans la configuration " NOUVEAU - Commentaire : DCS multithread via Varjo OpenXR" qui marchait très bien. Cependant, hormis remettre une version ultérieure de DCS, impossible de jouer.

Avez-vous eu des retours similaires et ya t'il pas une mise à jour prévue à cet effet.

Je vous remercie pour votre retour

Edited by yann06

Anybody else get this weird phenomenon where you get a chaotic bunch of flashing screens for a few seconds. Seems like it happens when I am pulling hard on the stick (no jokes please I take my self pleasure time seriously).

Hard to explain, but it looks like a bunch of the present screen view is multiplied and then flashes around. I am sure it is related to the quad screen view I am using, but not sure if it is ONLY me, and maybe reinstalling all of mbuccia's stuff etc. would fix it. Using quad screen, mbuccia fix and MT.

ON the flat monitor, I see an extra "projection" takes up upper left quadrant of the screen. While, in VR there is a bunch of screens bouncing around.

Any ideas?

Edited by Slick Twitchy

CRX-Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K;4090; Varjo Aero; Winwing UFC/HUD/MFDs/Throttle/PTO Panel/Combat Panel; Winwing F-18 joystick; Buttkickers; Monstertech flight seat; PointCTRL.

6 hours ago, Slick Twitchy said:

Anybody else get this weird phenomenon where you get a chaotic bunch of flashing screens for a few seconds. Seems like it happens when I am pulling hard on the stick (no jokes please I take my self pleasure time seriously).

Hard to explain, but it looks like a bunch of the present screen view is multiplied and then flashes around. I am sure it is related to the quad screen view I am using, but not sure if it is ONLY me, and maybe reinstalling all of mbuccia's stuff etc. would fix it. Using quad screen, mbuccia fix and MT.

ON the flat monitor, I see an extra "projection" takes up upper left quadrant of the screen. While, in VR there is a bunch of screens bouncing around.

Any ideas?

Suggest  you clean all of the Mbuccia files out and start fresh with them,. Carefully make sure you get the correct files installed. I am running OpenXR Varjo Foveated 0.2.0 with no issues at all. However this is the version you can not use the OpenXR Toolkit with.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Reinstalled it mbuccia's stuff- and the phenomenon is "less" but still appears. Weird-it happens on my "first" sortie-and when I pull hard G's-then stops. Looks like it is rendering multiple screens where the eye tracking is focused. I'll keep messing with it. 

Thanks for the reply.

CRX-Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K;4090; Varjo Aero; Winwing UFC/HUD/MFDs/Throttle/PTO Panel/Combat Panel; Winwing F-18 joystick; Buttkickers; Monstertech flight seat; PointCTRL.

10 hours ago, Slick Twitchy said:

Reinstalled it mbuccia's stuff- and the phenomenon is "less" but still appears. Weird-it happens on my "first" sortie-and when I pull hard G's-then stops. Looks like it is rendering multiple screens where the eye tracking is focused. I'll keep messing with it. 

Thanks for the reply.

Does not sound right -  you may want to start a support ticket with Varjo if you are sure you have appropriately installed the mbucchia software.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

15 hours ago, dburne said:

Does not sound right -  you may want to start a support ticket with Varjo if you are sure you have appropriately installed the mbucchia software.

I'm one of those people that assume I am responsible. So many variables wherein I could have screwed it up.