Bombs in salvos destroy each other instead of damaging target

MBot

See attached track. Two identical frigates are bombed, the first with one Mk-83 the second with two Mk-83. Despite being attacked by two bombs, the second frigate gets the same amount of damage. The log only registers one hit for each frigate.

It seems as if the first bomb exploding in the salvo is destroying the second bomb, without the second bomb causing any damage whatsoever.

Screen_220710_124129.png

Screen_220710_124146.png

Screen_220710_124139.png

BombDamage.trk

Edited by MBot
  • Like 1

Sympathetic detonation! I've been trying to remember the official term for that behavior.  Anyway: Certainly, but that's a separate issue. They might go off early (RL might be less sensitive) but DCS having zero damage from a symp. det. bomb is unrealistic. Are you sure the other "deleted" bomb is doing zero damage? DCS has relatively small blast radii in general.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Frederf:

Are you sure the other "deleted" bomb is doing zero damage?

yes, very sure, his tests show that too.

If they drop the bombs one after the other, the ship also receives more damage, but the one bomb fizzles out that way when both reach the target at the same time

And the video also shows very well that this is not always the case, in fact it happens less often.

The difference between single bombs is they travel all the way. I'm saying the "fizzile" bomb may be making a damage bubble but because the bomb explodes too far from the target that damage potential might not overlap with the ship physically thus causing no damage to the ship but it might for example a helicopter hoving near the fizzle point.

On 7/10/2022 at 8:22 PM, Frederf said:

Fragging of bombs by other bombs is a real life consideration and will change the damaging effects.

The issue here is that Su-27/MiG-29 can only release bombs in pairs and if you need to do a run on a comand post with bunker busters, you either carry the second bomb as dead weight or you load the bombs asymetrically.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

On 7/10/2022 at 8:22 PM, Frederf said:

Fragging of bombs by other bombs is a real life consideration and will change the damaging effects.

The issue here is that Su-27/MiG-29 can only release bombs in pairs and if you need to do a run on a comand post with bunker busters, you either carry the second bomb as dead weight or you load the bombs asymetrically.

Here, for example, one can see that RL BetAB concrete-pearcing bombs don't really interferre with each other:

https://youtu.be/Hl94r54b73w

• Like 1

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

Out of curiosity, I took a look at this last night and found it interesting. Whether or not this problem exists, seems to depend on where the bombs hit. Intervening superstructure or whatever makes a difference.

In MBot's TRK, this is where the bombs hit. Notice the bomb circled in red. That's the one that doesn't explode. The one higher up in the frame explodes a split second after this screen was taken and it's the only hit that is recorded.

MBot-Ships and Bombs.jpg

Using MBot's TRK, I swapped out the aircraft to something I could fly and tried to put something substantial between the bombs. The result: The circled bomb also exploded once it hit.

Ships and Bombs (2).jpg

Ships and Bombs (1).jpg

Just wanted to toss that out there. It's not a given that only 1 of 2 will be scored a hit.

Ships and Bombs.jpg

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Bombs also have the issue of clipping into each other and exploding

image.png

image.png

All 12 bombs destroyed.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

The problem does exist... I have a range script that uses the hit event to determine if the weapons had any effect on target and it also projects the trajectory of the bomb to accurately report the impact position (weapon object is destroyed upon impact with the collision box of the target)... I've seen reports of "no effect" even thought the impact position is within range of the effect for the second bomb in a pair... It is not common in my experience, but it does happens, weapons in DCS get destroyed, without detonating , by close detonations... 

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3322227/

• Thanks 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Draken35:

The problem does exist... I have a range script that uses the hit event to determine if the weapons had any effect on target and it also projects the trajectory of the bomb to accurately report the impact position (weapon object is destroyed upon impact with the collision box of the target)... I've seen reports of "no effect" even thought the impact position is within range of the effect for the second bomb in a pair... It is not common in my experience, but it does happens, weapons in DCS get destroyed, without detonating , by close detonations... 

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3322227/

That sounds good, would it be possible to share the script?

Have you ever tested whether unguided rockets destroy each other when they explode on impact?

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Ironhand:

Out of curiosity, I took a look at this last night and found it interesting. Whether or not this problem exists, seems to depend on where the bombs hit. Intervening superstructure or whatever makes a difference.

In MBot's TRK, this is where the bombs hit. Notice the bomb circled in red. That's the one that doesn't explode. The one higher up in the frame explodes a split second after this screen was taken and it's the only hit that is recorded.

I think this simply has something to do with the ship's hitbox, the bomb that didn't explode simply didn't hit the hitbox but only the texture.

Edited by Hobel

50 minutes ago, Hobel said:

…I think this simply has something to do with the ship's hitbox, the bomb that didn't explode simply didn't hit the hitbox but only the texture.

That’s probably true some of the time. But the “box” rises and falls with the superstructure. Plus you would think that the deck would be included especially when a waterline hit against the hull is included. But who knows? [Edit: Actually I do know that on the one occasion I checked, the bomb which didn’t score as a hit simply disappeared when it’s companion exploded. It was no longer selectable with F6.]

My purpose in posting was simply to say that, when I tried to replicate MBot’s experience, I could. But it was just as likely (actually more than likely in my admittedly small sample) that both bombs would be “scored”.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

1 hour ago, Ironhand said:

That’s probably true some of the time. But the “box” rises and falls with the superstructure. Plus you would think that the deck would be included especially when a waterline hit against the hull is included. But who knows? [Edit: Actually I do know that on the one occasion I checked, the bomb which didn’t score as a hit simply disappeared when it’s companion exploded. It was no longer selectable with F6.]

My purpose in posting was simply to say that, when I tried to replicate MBot’s experience, I could. But it was just as likely (actually more than likely in my admittedly small sample) that both bombs would be “scored”.

If you have TacView, you can actually see the bomb exploding when it hit the target collision/hit box...

@Hobel A much simpler example of the range mission/script attached ... vFG 476 targets needed... A/C types or names are not important, so replace then as you wish/need.

CA BSA.miz

• Like 1

• ED Team

I am seeing two issues in this thread I think.

1) explosion of one bomb destroying other bombs

2) bomb collision and detonation

I will look into this, I believe some work is being done on #2 already, the bombs need collision models, right now they can pass through many things if not armed yet. 

I think for 1, if 1 bomb somehow detonates another bomb, that second bomb should still do the appropriate damage, but perhaps its not right now, again I will dig into it.

Thanks!

23 hours ago, Exorcet said:

Bombs also have the issue of clipping into each other and exploding

image.png

image.png

All 12 bombs destroyed.

Do you have the track for this?

• Like 2

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png