Radar clutter issue

skywalker22

I think we get pretty the same representation as in the video... the cursor (strobe) looks different but this is down to different versions and maybe changes made by the greek airforce.

• Like 1

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

The noise (dots 1x1 pixel) are completely differently represented. In DCS it looks like they move on some predefined logic, while IRL you can see how different the shape of the "dots" is, and also different each sweep. Way different, and also the color is not that much strikingly green.

Edited by skywalker22
  • Like 3

Like I said, that has a lot to do with how you adjust the scope. I was working a long time with analoge radars and you can "base adjust" that the noise is barely visible or pretty strong. Then it makes a huge different if the transmitter is on and if, what is in front of the antenna (not talking about ground clutter but more about general "reflect-ifness (if there is such word). I would love a more true to life representation as we got until now with any" analoge" radar in the appropriate modules. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skywalker22 said:

The noise (dots 1x1 pixel) are completely differently represented. In DCS it looks like they move on some predefined logic, while IRL you can see how different the shape of the "dots" is, and also different each sweep. Way different, and also the color is not that much strikingly green.

should be quite easy to implement, just add a random generator for those clutters

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

Like I said, that has a lot to do with how you adjust the scope. I was working a long time with analoge radars and you can "base adjust" that the noise is barely visible or pretty strong. Then it makes a huge different if the transmitter is on and if, what is in front of the antenna (not talking about ground clutter but more about general "reflect-ifness (if there is such word). I would love a more true to life representation as we got until now with any" analoge" radar in the appropriate modules.

I think the point is more that the noise looks a lot more scripted and maybe "faked" than say the clutter presentation in say, the F-14.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

5 minutes ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

Ah, OK, guess I miss understood then. 

Sorry

No worries, all good 😉

The F-14 and Mirage 2000 really spoil us with radar presentation, so it does seem like more of a step backwards compared to those - however this is Aerges first radar, so IMO it's pretty unfair to expect a radar to the same quality on day 1. There's definitely room for improvement in the presentation though.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I bought the F1 right away, but are away from my computer for another 3 weeks. First time in ages I'm looking forward to come back from vacation. 

So I not only bought the module but also 3 weeks of big fixing, maybe something happened by then, we will see 😉

39 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

I think the point is more that the noise looks a lot more scripted and maybe "faked" than say the clutter presentation in say, the F-14.

Exactly.

But Im sure they will fix that in a matter of few updates. They need time to study. Specially now when we mentioned it here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Northstar98 said:

I'm getting clutter while in the middle of an empty Black Sea, don't think I should be getting any radar returns at all.

7 hours ago, EnzoF98 said:

I'm getting clutter while in the middle of an empty Black Sea, don't think I should be getting any radar returns at all.

You can get clutter from the sea, but a much better implementation of that can be found in the Mirage 2000C (where the intensity of the clutter is a function of wind speed as that's the only variable DCS takes into account when dealing with waves).

Of course, low down and in hilly terrain you should expect more clutter and high-up over flat, featureless terrain and large bodies of water less clutter.

But yeah, the current clutter implementation doesn't seem to account for anything and is more or less a faked effect.

Edited by Northstar98

System:

• skywalker22 changed the title to Radar clutter issue
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/21/2022 at 4:38 AM, cmbaviator said:

should be quite easy to implement, just add a random generator for those clutters

Funny thing being "clutter" isn't random. They could develop and actual clutter model like Razbam has done, and then add how MTI filtering works to remove some of it (poorly). I posted the actual code they could use as an example of how to do this earlier.

Also, there should be no clutter above the horizon like there is now (well clouds I guess, but clouds don't exist for any other system in DCS rn either). Unless you are at really low alt and eating sidelobe returns. 

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 3

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).