We need the ability to build a mission across adjacent maps

upyr1

With the Sinai map coming out it looks like we'll have two adjacent maps. (Syria and the Sinai) if this is the case it would be awesome to have give DCS some way to merge the map while flying or in the mission editor. I know it will be huge for DCS but it would be a good feature 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

With the Sinai map coming out it looks like we'll have two adjacent maps. (Syria and the Sinai) if this is the case it would be awesome to have give DCS some way to merge the map while flying or in the mission editor. I know it will be huge for DCS but it would be a good feature 

I believe that’s an ambition for some point. When I don’t know.

• Like 1

You would think it would be possible for a player that has both maps on his/her drive to fly between them in a seamless way, if only DCS World could manage and connect the point in space and time you leave one map with your entry point on the other map. This would also have to include weather/clouds of course. But yeah, 3 to 4 years sounds about right.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the sim would need to model the earth’s curvature in order to stitch these maps together accurately. Currently they’re all flat. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

On 8/13/2022 at 9:19 PM, Raviar said:

probably within 3, 4 years

No offence or sarcasm intended, but where did you get this from? Source? Or just a hunch?

Personally I'd rather expect about 10 years (assuming it'll have the same amount of details and destructible scenery as current maps).

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

14 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Personally I'd rather expect about 10 years (assuming it'll have the same amount of details and destructible scenery as current maps).

While I agree with your assumption. We must hope! And maybe for all we know, something is in the work we're not privy to yet. It has happened before! 😄 

11 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

While I agree with your assumption. We must hope! And maybe for all we know, something is in the work we're not privy to yet. It has happened before! 😄 

Although it's all business, I would expect ED to be fair and tell 3rd parties that they "plan" to release a world map somewhere within the next 4 years. Assuming ED cares about their 3rd party devs and share this info (with NDA disclosure), I can't imagine any developer starting work on a new map now. Would be kind of a poor business case if you'd ask me.

But I hear you, let's be optimistic 😉

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

7 hours ago, sirrah said:

Although it's all business, I would expect ED to be fair and tell 3rd parties that they "plan" to release a world map somewhere within the next 4 years. Assuming ED cares about their 3rd party devs and share this info (with NDA disclosure), I can't imagine any developer starting work on a new map now. Would be kind of a poor business case if you'd ask me.

But I hear you, let's be optimistic 😉

I agree! 

But somehow I get the "feeling", that the world map would be a simple sphere, with all the detailed maps on top of it. 😊 

• 1 month later...

Not to revive a "Dead" thread, but a small game called Interstellar Marines actually has a game mode like this. 9 battle zones, with doors to each one connecting. The doors serve as loading points and the next "room" is loaded as you walk thru the hall. as a first person shooter, you can have teammates in other rooms and hear them over voice chat, but I guess the game doesn't track every exact thing until you join that space.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

42 minutes ago, AegisFX said:

Not to revive a "Dead" thread, but a small game called Interstellar Marines actually has a game mode like this. 9 battle zones, with doors to each one connecting. The doors serve as loading points and the next "room" is loaded as you walk thru the hall. as a first person shooter, you can have teammates in other rooms and hear them over voice chat, but I guess the game doesn't track every exact thing until you join that space.

Piping in let's folks know you think it's awesome