Can't start engine

schurem

Hi, I am trying to cold start the Mirage F1. I am running the Cold Start Training Mission. I am doing *exactly* as told. The engine spools up a bit, but immediately spools down again and the panne horn starts yelling. What's wrong?

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

I know the instruction is to move the throttle to idle but when I do, the engine immediately cuts out for me also.

What does work for me is to instead move the throttle to maybe 40%. Then when the engine spools up properly, move it back to idle.

• Like 1

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

4 hours ago, schurem said:

Hi, I am trying to cold start the Mirage F1. I am running the Cold Start Training Mission. I am doing *exactly* as told. The engine spools up a bit, but immediately spools down again and the panne horn starts yelling. What's wrong?

Hi, I have noted that if you have the Starting LP fuel pump operating for too long before pressing the engine start button, happens what you said ... try to minimize the time lapse between turning on the Starting fuel pump (the one that starts when you lift the engine start cover) and pressing the start button.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I found that just letting the Throttle stay where it is(not cutoff currently by default) works just fine. You dont have to move anything and it starts right up.

The 2-3 times it spools back I found the Starterbutton looked like it was stuck in the pushed position, usually happens when I start up with left mouse but the horn sounds and I right- clicked the warning away while still pressing LMB. 

Btw: If you think you are doing everything exactly right but its still not working, it usually is because youre not doing it right. I always got frustrated with the F16 because it never started, but idiot me didnt wait long enough for the SEC light to go out ^^

Edited by Badger1-1
  • Like 1

I was having this issue last night. I wondered if it had to do with me adjusting my Ab detent position in special control options. I didn't notice the problem the first few times before I adjusted it. But like the other guy said when I had the throttle higher then idle it started but couldn't get it to fire in idle. Idk if the detent adjustment actually plays a part it's just something I noticed after. I wasn't at 40% tho just maybe 10%-15%. Quirky plane for sure but I'm having alot of fun learning it.

AB detent won't affect this.

I use my Warthog throttle with the F1. I've set my AB to 72, that's full MP for me. If I push my throttle a little further (filed down the thing in the throttle, so I can push through), the grip lifts, and a little further the light comes on, and then the AB.

As for idle/cut off, I have mapped it like the default "I" in the controls setup. Which for some reason works as else/on. Maybe the description is wrong.
So when I press start, I wait for 300 RPM, push the throttle out of cut off, and to about 50%, so I get through that strange "deadzone" which is there. Then I pull back all the way, and it stays in idle, and engine always starts without any problems.

Cheers!

As others already noted, the idle detent is currently a bit weird. I had the same issue when pressing it like supposed. By now I just move the throttle forward just a few mm and back to make sure that it's not in cut off.

Another thing that killed my engines at startup seems to be when I press the starter too long. Then it shows the before mentioned behavior it spools up but spools down immedietly after.

Just shy of two seconds seems to work fine - any longer and it suffocates the engine. I haven't notices if a left or right click makes a difference or if the button gets stuck tbh.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

3 hours ago, Hiob said:

Another thing that killed my engines at startup seems to be when I press the starter too long. Then it shows the before mentioned behavior it spools up but spools down immedietly after.

Just shy of two seconds seems to work fine - any longer and it suffocates the engine. I haven't notices if a left or right click makes a difference or if the button gets stuck tbh.

Just for info, from the manual:

"The starter pushbutton shouldn't be pressed for more than 2 seconds to avoid damaging the electric starter and should never be pushed when the engine is turning, at the risk of destroying the starter system."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1