Radiator flaps closing fully without operating them

Lynnux

(August 2022 trial)

On three occasions the radiator flaps fully closed without operating them, despite they were fully opened.

I didn't bind any analogue control to the radiator flaps (there was an old bug report related to the analogue input), just digital throttle inputs.

This one is a bit annoying since the engine is now overheating quite fast with fully closed flaps (and subsequently dying if you don't notice that immediately).

Edited by Lynnux

Radiator flaps closing despite high coolant temp? When i was last time flying, things worked well.

Can you drop track with that issue ?

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

20 hours ago, Lynnux said:

I didn't bind any analogue control to the radiator flaps (there was an old bug report related to the analogue input), just digital throttle inputs.

That's wrong !
Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.diff.lua:

["a3015cd8"] = {
			["added"] = {
				[1] = {
					["key"] = "JOY_RZ",
				},
			},
			["name"] = "Radiator Flaps",
		},
		["dnilp3014unilcd8vdnilvp-0.1vunil"] = {
			["added"] = {
				[1] = {
					["key"] = "JOY_BTN_POV1_D",
				},
			},
			["name"] = "Radiator Flaps Close",
		},
		["dnilp3014unilcd8vdnilvp0.1vunil"] = {
			["added"] = {
				[1] = {
					["key"] = "JOY_BTN_POV1_U",
				},
			},
			["name"] = "Radiator Flaps Open",
		},

JOY_RZ is the throttle lever for the second engine on the Warthog which was mechanically connected to the normal throttle, JOY_Z. Meaning, they had always the same position. This explains why the radiator flaps once were fully closed after landing but still there was one occasion when I reduced the throttle before diving and increased it afterwards and the flaps were fully closed.

Still shouldn't happen. So it seems there is some interference between analogue and digital inputs for the radiator flaps.

Question to the devs: Is there an "overflow" from fully opened to fully closed possible ? E.g. reducing the throttle, then opening the radiator flaps fully with digital inputs, then throttle up again...  or reducing the throttle, closing the radiator flaps with digital inputs (which fully closed them) and then throttle up again (which didn't operate them for some reason).

Concerning track files:

I flew multiplayer (as usually I do) => track files too large. And they are highly unreliable: in most cases the replay is different and planes are often already crashing at take-off in the replay.

Edited by Lynnux

7 minutes ago, Lynnux said:

Concerning track files:

I flew multiplayer (as usually I do) => track files too large. And they are highly unreliable: in most cases the replay is different and planes are often already crashing at take-off in the replay.

Thats why normally when you encounter an issue, you try to replicate it and then send that track instead.

2 minutes ago, razo+r said:

Thats why normally when you encounter an issue, you try to replicate it and then send that track instead.

You mean in single player, creating a mission and try to reproduce this and so on ?
Yeah, I did this once in case of the non-rearmed parachute of the Jeff. But this is not normal. I'm a gamer who paid for this game and not a tester who's paid for testing. So normally I play and only if I have some time left and am in the mood I may try to recreate something in a single-player mission. No offense ! 😉

Lynnux, just to make sure - you are aware of the fact that flaps control wheel doesn't open/close them manually  like in Anton or Thunderbolt but instead changes the temp range of thermostatically controlled flaps regulator? Also, they have a delay like relay-operated flaps on Mustang, which makes overheating possible if you don't give the regulator enough time to react to sudden power increase.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

1 hour ago, Lynnux said:

You mean in single player, creating a mission and try to reproduce this and so on ?
Yeah, I did this once in case of the non-rearmed parachute of the Jeff. But this is not normal. I'm a gamer who paid for this game and not a tester who's paid for testing. So normally I play and only if I have some time left and am in the mood I may try to recreate something in a single-player mission. No offense ! 😉

Sometimes track may be more useful then 1000 words 🙂

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

4 hours ago, Art-J said:

Lynnux, just to make sure - you are aware of the fact that flaps control wheel doesn't open/close them manually  like in Anton or Thunderbolt but instead changes the temp range of thermostatically controlled flaps regulator? Also, they have a delay like relay-operated flaps on Mustang, which makes overheating possible if you don't give the regulator enough time to react to sudden power increase.

I just noticed that there is no feedback of the radiator flap position in the cockpit. Neither on the wheel nor visually since you cannot see the flaps (without moving the head, no TrackIR here).

Is it possible to set this temperature range so that the flaps will be fully closed despite the engine is totally overheated ? Or is it vice versa, when I try to keep the flaps fully closed they will open because the engine is totally overheated ? The latter didn't happen for sure.

This sounds like the radiator flaps control is not predictable...

Anyways there were only 3 occasions I noticed (due to the overheating engine) that the flaps were closed despite I wanted them fully open. I did prolonged dogfights and the Dora was way less prone to engine overheating than the Kurfürst.

To me it's pretty sure now that not being aware of the analogue binding contributed a lot to those 3 occurences.