Game very slow to start after 2.8

Dallas88B

Much slower to start AH-64D Instant Action, Mission or Training.

No mods. No changes to my PC other than 2.8 update.

Anything I should be doing ... empty cache or something?

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10

2 hours ago, Dallas88B said:

Much slower to start AH-64D Instant Action, Mission or Training.

No mods. No changes to my PC other than 2.8 update.

Anything I should be doing ... empty cache or something?

As you're not new you probably know this, but just in case:

If you've deleted the content of your fxo and metashaders folders after updating DCS (something which is wise to do after each update), initial loading times of maps is increased as the shaders are "rebuild"

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

1 hour ago, sirrah said:

As you're not new you probably know this, but just in case:

If you've deleted the content of your fxo and metashaders folders after updating DCS (something which is wise to do after each update), initial loading times of maps is increased as the shaders are "rebuild"

Yeah, but that accounts only for first start. I find game/map loading slower too.

Hmm

Fwiw; I can't recall noticing any longer load times

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I can, Im in the same boat, and Always dump FXO and Meta Shaders, and to be more anal, I actually do a deep repair after all updates. The Apache load times are painful. I sit there and watch the building blocks populate, sections at a time. As a matter of fact, I cant even look at the F-10 map while the Apache is loading because it wont render the graphics until the Apache is completed its loading. Its not just occasional either. This is new for me right after update.

• Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

1 hour ago, sirrah said:

I did not delete the content of those folders. Just did the update. 

Sorry I did not know DCS says deleting these is recommended. I have never done it before.... guess I should have.

In anycase, given I didn't, I guess I did not contribute to the slower load times. And it is slower every time I load too (not just the first time)

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10

vor 53 Minuten schrieb admiki:

Yeah, but that accounts only for first start. I find game/map loading slower too.

Me too since 2.8.

Sitting in the virtual AH64 cockpit I can watch slowly populate the scenery from displaying sea level up to full terrain….

I had this before only after deleting metashaders and fxo folders and new initializing the shaders. Actually I see it on every game start……this is in VR.

Edited by corbu1

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

2 minutes ago, Sacarino111 said:

Same thing here. Not only in the Apache, but in general.

I have only tried Apache.

by the way, I found this after searching for information about deleting content fxo and metashaders folders

so does DCS automatically delete content of fxo and metashaders folders after updating DCS now.....Or is "shaders are removed when the update is done" something else.... 

Hi @Dallas88B

I use to delette those folders after an update, and yes, first time starting DCS is slower, but it is not about that what I am talking about. It is in general. DCS is slower to start and missions take much longer to load, and once in the cockpit it is also slower to load all textures, IMO.

I guess DCS is getting more complicated and complex.

Saludos.

Saca111

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sacarino111 said:

but it is not about that what I am talking about.

No me either.
My original post .... Much slower to start AH-64D Instant Action, Mission or Training. No mods. No changes to my PC other than 2.8 update.

It is slow every time I start it.

dcs_log and autoupdate_log.zip

Edited by Dallas88B
Added log files
  • Like 2

I have noticed that in MP servers the interior and other textures seem to load in slowly, but when I do a SP Instant Action mission I’m in the cockpit fully rendered.

Maybe that is just coincidence, but there are definitely occasions when it’s all pre-loaded, and other occasions when textures come in one at a time.

In both cases, I feel the load time while you are watching the progress bars on the loading screen seems longer now. 

• Thanks 1

It is extremely slow for the Apache missions (90% of my flights involve Apache). And EVERY time, no matter how many times you start to re-fly the mission from 5 minutes ago.

Shaders were deleted before. But makes no difference.

Some other missions or quick launches, e.g. with the SU25, are loaded fast as usual.

Even in the editor, load times are noticeably slower and you end up seeing the map gradually build up.

• Thanks 1

Another thing I have noticed since 2.8 was released, and is likely related, is a delay in some sound files playing.  If I spawn into an aircraft and rearm/refuel, I get the text notifications at the top-left of the screen like normal, but with no audio.  Then about 3-4 seconds later, all 4 sound files play at once on top of each other.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fakum said:

I can, Im in the same boat, and Always dump FXO and Meta Shaders, and to be more anal, I actually do a deep repair after all updates. The Apache load times are painful. I sit there and watch the building blocks populate, sections at a time. As a matter of fact, I cant even look at the F-10 map while the Apache is loading because it wont render the graphics until the Apache is completed its loading. Its not just occasional either. This is new for me right after update.

Ahh sorry, I may have misunderstood. Yes, I have this too!

Thought the OP was about the mission loading screen (with in my case didn't change in duration).

But indeed, for instance after choosing a client slot, I start in the cockpit sitting on water, and very slowly everything pops in. This indeed takes considerably longer than usual.

System specs:

Yes, that thread is relative, thanks

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I experience this too. Dissappointing, because this is how it used to be on my old computer with spinning discs.
And on some missions, there are no textures during the first 10-20 seconds; Ground is all water, and cockpit is black with no instruments or surfaces.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

So I deleted the fxo and metashaders folder. Started DCS. Quit DCS. Started DCS a second time.

No difference. Still much slower than 2.7.

Updated logs post fxo / metashaders deletion and rebuild.

btw, it certainly seems that updating DCS does not delete the content of the folders and recreate them. I posted separately about this here https://forum.dcs.world/topic/312207-delete-the-contents-of-fxo-and-metashaders-folder/

Update: Ran DCS all files repair. Sadly, no quicker to start.

DCS_log Autoupdate_log autoupdate_cfg.zip

Edited by Dallas88B
added update about repair
  • Like 1

This thread seems to be mixing up two different issues/problems:

1. Mission loading time
  2. Aircraft spawn/environment rendering time

(Personally I only noticed problem 2)

Also, I wonder if this is Apache related. Did anyone try with other modules (I haven't had the chance to do so myself)

System specs:

1 hour ago, sirrah said:

This thread seems to be mixing up two different issues/problems:

1. Mission loading time
  2. Aircraft spawn/environment rendering time

(Personally I only noticed problem 2)

Also, I wonder if this is Apache related. Did anyone try with other modules (I haven't had the chance to do so myself)

Both mission load time and render times have gone up.

I fly Apache, Hind, Hip, Huey. Render times are worse for first 3 (haven't flown Huey since update).

• Thanks 2