DCS size !

killerwhale

On 1/9/2023 at 7:59 AM, Mars Exulte said:

No, I can write a batch file to delete the offending directories in fifteen seconds, automating the horrible process of ''it being reinstalled with each update''. If your drive us full, then you can do the same thing everybody else has done for the last 30-40 years of PC gaming: uninstall some <profanity> or get a bigger drive.

Deleting them is useless when you need to keep the space free for the next time it updates and redownloads them. Your batch file is pointless.

A livery manager would be an actual solution rather than the many gigs of liveries being included by default.

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 12:23 AM, cajundave said:

Are there directions on how to do that?  I've been curious because DCS uses up almost all of my SSD, meanwhile I have a 1 TB HDD doing almost nothing.

the cost of a 480 GB SSD is around 1/3 the cost of a single module these days.  just saying…. screwing around with symlinks isn’t worth it in my opinion. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, throAU said:

the cost of a 480 GB SSD is around 1/3 the cost of a single module these days.  just saying…. screwing around with symlinks isn’t worth it in my opinion. 

There's no amount of technological progress that won't go wasted by software development inadequacy. If you're fine with treating it as "the software in question has the right to dominate a system" then fine.

I don't consider it a critical issue but I object to treating it as a "non-issue."

Edited by Bucic

On 3/12/2023 at 4:45 AM, throAU said:

480 GB isn't nearly enough if you have a lot of maps and modules. I have a 500 GB SSD with nothing on it except DCS openbeta. (Even my Saved Games folder is on a different drive.) I can only update successfully by having a symlink for the downloads folder to a conventional hard drive. And I can't install the Atlantic Map, which I purchased recently.

Edit: I thought I might try to run the Atlantic map from a slower drive just to try it out. I tried installing the Atlantic Map to a stable version of DCS on a slow but large drive. That worked. Then I tried creating symlinks in the openbeta version on my SSD to the corresponding Atlantic Map folders on the slow drive in the hopes that I could then install it on openbeta. The map downloaded just fine to openbeta (albeit to a download folder on the slow drive because of the symlink mentioned above). But when the updater tried to install it it complained that not enough space exists on the SSD, even though the files were not going to be installed on the SSD. So I'm wondering how people have successfully used symlinks to overcome space limitations for large maps.

Edited by sthompson
To describe failed attempt to use symlinks to install the Atlantic Map
  • Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

• 7 months later...

This thread is old but history is forever...

Just the 9 maps I have installed on a 1TB SSD are 362.9 GigaBytes.
now with every plane and jet and other things, 2 gb SSD's are not going to be large enough.
My 1988 Amiga 500 had the port on the left side for additional Ram, and was also a one meg hard drive.
   Grand Central Station in NYC and they told Me I would NEVER need more then that one meg of extra HD space.
  Too bad they didn't have a 44 year warranty on upgrades...

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Thermal said:

My install is 503Gb

That's just under 63GB. I wonder how you do that, mine is 566GB 🙃

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Honestly, I have the fail safe system of, 
A 2 TB M2, and a 2nd 2 TB M.2 w/ SymLinks for \Mods\Terrain and \_downloads\.

For example, \terrains\ is 74% of my overall build size, and that's ~637 GB

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs