Laser Rangefinder does not work after a certain time

jed40
Go to solution Solved by razo+r,

Hello guys,

I have a problem with the laser rangefinder after a variable time. When the issue happens, it does not give the distance to the target. If I fire a Vikhr, he does not find the target, and if I try with the cannon, the direction is good but not the distance.

I have tried a lot of action (reset laser, master arm off/on, changing laser mode, landing + restart helos...)to recover the rangefinder function but without success. I can recover it if I RTB and Rearm. After it works again.

This never happens to me with BS2.

Have you already have this problem ??

Thanks

Laser burnout has been a feature since the original Black Shark (even before DCS). If you aren't using it for a while, switch it off and let it cool down.

Edited by Tiger-II

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

7 hours ago, jed40 said:

I can recover it if I RTB and Rearm. After it works again.

This never happens to me with BS2.

This indeed was problem in BS2.  If you search, you'll find same issue dating back to 2016.

It's surprising that simply rearming fixes it.  Because before with BS2, you had to break your helo and then repair for it to work again.  That's actually improvement.

• Like 1

Switch the laser to off , when u don’t need it. 
Wait after lasing that the cooldown timer in the hud reaches zero. 

the reason for that ist , the laser is liquid cooled (like the iglas). After a certain time the laser run off cooling . It’s designed that u can fire 12 vikhers . if you switch off the laser when u don’t need it, and  wait for the countdown , u can launch up to 20 vikhers.

that’s no Bug. It’s how it is in real life 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi@all,

Since I'm not very familiar with the Black Shark, I have a question: See the manual on page 484

null

Is that possibly related to the topic addressed here?

image.png

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

3 hours ago, kotor633 said:

Hi@all,

Since I'm not very familiar with the Black Shark, I have a question: See the manual on page 484

null

Is that possibly related to the topic addressed here?

image.png

I tried to get clarification on that data in the manual couple years ago but never got any answer.  For example, if you lase for more than 10 seconds, does it count as 2 cycle?

And interval between the series is 30 minutes, does it mean that cycle resets after 30 minutes?  I tried that too and didn't do anything.  As someone said above, laser in BS2 worked like it has finite use which you can stretch by turning it on and off.  And cooling doesn't do anything.

• 5 months later...
12 hours ago, Viciam1 said:

How do you switch laser off? Is it the left panel button? Or is there a faster way like deselecting the target on the shkval?

It is the switch that you flip to the on position once you are ready to lase a target. If you flip that switch to the off position, the laser will be off and save.

The switch is labeled with "9" in this picture.

image.png

8 minutes ago, Viciam1 said:

Thanks. Is burnout a thing

Yes

and do i need to switch it off?

If you dont want to burn out the laser and make it useless until the next repair, yes.

what is the correct method of firing vikhrs? Shoot, kill, turn of laser for a few seconds? Turn on again then go on to next target?

what about laser reset button? 

Find target, laser on, fire Vikhr, target destroyed -> turn off laser, find next target etc.

You don’t need to turn off the laser. Just wait till the cooldown reaches 0 before u lase the next target. 
If u need a long time till u will find your next target, Then switch the laser off . 
but if u have a lot of targets in front of you. Switching the laser off makes no sense .

Easy thing : switch the laser on iff you have a target. If not , switch it off. 

7 minutes ago, Viciam1 said:

Okay thank you. So is the laser constantly firing to give you range reading on the hud? Even if you havent locked a target its still firing? 

What does laser reset do?

What laser reset are you refering to?

1 hour ago, razo+r said:

What laser reset are you refering to?

There is a laser reset designator button left of the joystick on front panel. I heard someone say you can use that to cool the laser. 

1 hour ago, Schlomo1933 said:

No it’s not constantly firing. It’s firing when u lock a target or u fire a vikher . 
but it stays in standby if switched on and so needs cooled. 
i never use the reset by my self . Just switching on and off 

I see. Okay thanks a bunch