Rudel

BuzzU

Rudel is a member.

I agree with your list and the last one on the list is my favorite. However, the Hornet can also do CAS. Just not as good. Fueling is a pain all the time in the Hornet. Does anybody refuel in the Hog?

However, the Hornet has more weapons than the Hog and it can defend itself against fighters.

Buzz

Well in addition to what jay already listed:

• Its your Profilpicture 
  • Way more integrated Pilot regarding Ground combat (requires some time to get there)
  • The Hornet has more weapons but the A10 takes more into combat
  • One A-10 can take out more targets than the F/A-18
  • It’s just another experience than the Hornet in general 
  • You can limp back after taking hits or rather this occurs more often and you are more capable than the Hornet regarding that

apart from that there are sure a lot of different reasons but what makes the A-10 special to me is that I’m really integrated into the ground combat and I am a participant for a good while thanks to fuel and armament…

Flying ist just different, so that’s a pure subjective thing but consider many people love it!

May some other from the community can add their 5 cents too…

1 hour ago, BuzzU said:

Rudel is a member.

I agree with your list and the last one on the list is my favorite. However, the Hornet can also do CAS. Just not as good. Fueling is a pain all the time in the Hornet. Does anybody refuel in the Hog?

However, the Hornet has more weapons than the Hog and it can defend itself against fighters.

Ooooh, I see, sorry to butt in on the conversation 😄

The A-10 is MUCH better at CAS, not just better.  The priority goal of CAS is not to blow up bad guys, but to AVOID blowing up friendlies.  As such, the ability to see EPLRS beacons on the A-10 give you worlds more SA than the Hornet.  Likewise, the ability to stay on station long enough to build up SA of where the good guys and bad guys are is something the Hornet will always have less of.  Even after you're out of weapons, you can be a tremendous asset to other flights by staying on station, since you have built up the SA to help others avoid blowing up friendlies.

In DCS, A-10's will practically never refuel because of the small theaters and time limitations, but IRL would be a different story

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 1

I'll add that the 'hog offers old-fashioned stick and rudder flying vs. the Hornet's fly-by-wire wizardry, which is nostalgic and attractive to the real-life pilots among us. 

Probably the biggest difference in my mind (whether it is a pro or con is subjective and depends on your perspective) is that one plane is 100% dedicated to one specific mission, while the other is a true jack-of-all-trades. 

You mean, @Rudel_chw???

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

1 hour ago, Mistermann said:

You mean, @Rudel_chw???

🤔 dont think so, it cant be me since I don't remember having said that I prefer the A-10C over the F/A-18

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On 1/17/2023 at 8:43 PM, BuzzU said:

Rudel is a member.

Why don't you just send him a Private Message if that's between you and him? :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

19 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

🤔 dont think so, it cant be me since I don't remember having said that I prefer the A-10C over the F/A-18

I just saw this. Yes, I meant you. I could swore you said you like the Hog more.

Now, i'll have to figure out who said it. ????

Buzz

16 hours ago, BuzzU said:

Now, i'll have to figure out who said it. ????

Well, I'm not sure if I have said that anywhere, but I for one do generally prefer the Hog over the Hornet by far (unlike I have to fly CAP of course). Main reason is the HOTAS integration of the Hog which is soooooooooooo much better than in the Hornet.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It took me awhile but I finally decided to fly the A-10C II exclusively. I've said it before but only half meant it. I'm dead set on it now.

I did a new install of DCS beta. All I installed on it is the A-10C II, Hog campaigns, and the Nevada/PG maps.

Now, to do my best to learn it.

Buzz

43 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

Now, to do my best to learn it.

fly the built-in training missions and then follow up with Iron Flag Campaign, which is like a deeper training … I enjoyed it a lot 🙂

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

3 hours ago, BuzzU said:

Yes, that was my plan.

Thanks.

@BuzzU Buzz, I would also recommend reading "Hogs in the Sand" by Buck Wyndham which is an excellent story of his deployment to Saudi Arabia during Desert Storm. I really enjoyed his story and, while a bit dated as he was flying A-10A's, it still offers great insight into a Hog Driver's deployment to war. I couldn't put it down.

On 1/23/2023 at 6:27 AM, BuzzU said:

It took me awhile but I finally decided to fly the A-10C II exclusively. I've said it before but only half meant it. I'm dead set on it now.

Ha!  I'm glad to see that you switched up!

Check out the A-10C II missions on the Hollo Pointe server.

Screen_230128_203710.jpg

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

4 minutes ago, King39 said:

Buzz,

I was going to send you a link for my A-10C campaign Operation Agile Spear for your 80th birthday. I sent you a direct message which you may have missed. I just need your email to send you the link.

Thank you. I appreciate the offer but I already bought it.

It's the thought that counts, so thanks again.

• Like 1

Buzz

16 minutes ago, King39 said:

Buzz,

I was going to send you a link for my A-10C campaign Operation Agile Spear for your 80th birthday. I sent you a direct message which you may have missed. I just need your email to send you the link.

I'll be celebrating my 80th in 50 years. I'll be in touch then.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

Thank you. I appreciate the offer but I already bought it.

It's the thought that counts, so thanks again.

Thank you. You may encounter a few problems with it due to the recent DCS World updates so I'm in the middle of completing a complete review and update of the campaign. Should be complete within the next few weeks but may be a while before ED posts it for download.

Let me know if you run into any problems with it which would make my QC job a bit easier.

John

• Like 2

1 hour ago, King39 said:

I was going to send you a link for my A-10C campaign Operation Agile Spear for your 80th birthday

Very kind gesture 👍 I imagine not many DCS users reach that age 🙂  

• Like 1