Foveated Rendering Support for DCS

hannibal

1 hour ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

About performance gain, I don't think I have made any benchmark comparison yet, so here are a few charts for your reference:

Might be worth mentioning the headset. These numbers look like Quad Views FFR, not Quad Views DFR(?)

• Like 1

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

Thank you for your reply. Oh, it would be Quest Pro. Due to the testing methodology, eyes were fixed to the front, if it was what you were asking.

Also, forgot to mention, I used QVF 1.10 and the setting used:

# Common settings for all headsets (unless overriden below).
smoothen_focus_view_edges=0.2
sharpen_focus_view=0.7
turbo_mode=1

# Fixed Foveated rendering settings for fallback when eye tracker is not available.
horizontal_fixed_section=0.5
vertical_fixed_section=0.45

[Oculus]
peripheral_multiplier=0.3
focus_multiplier=1.1
horizontal_focus_section=0.3
vertical_focus_section=0.3

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

14 hours ago, mbucchia said:

Read the instructions again. None of them are asking you to modify a .log file.

> %LocalAppData%\Quad-Views-Foveated\settings.cfg - This is the file you may edit to add your own settings. Note: You have to create this folder and the file yourself. Do not copy the file from 1), instead **create a blank file** and only add settings you want to change from the default configuration.

Also, consider this:

> The default configuration should be sufficient for most users. You probably do not need to modify the configuration file.

Thanks, I was getting confused. In my case, the folder was already there and contained a file which was a .txt document. So I did not need to create it as in your instrcutions, which made me think maybe I was in the wrong place or doing something wrong, hence the query......When I copied the file to make the .cfg file, it displayed as a .log file. I got there in the end. 

I have bumped up the sampling from 1.1 to 1.3 in the foveated area, which gives a nice clarity uplift and seems to be manageable performance wise. Have not changed anything else.

Thank you! 

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Newbie Question: I've got a Quest Pro, and I've installed OpenXR and Quad View Foveated Rendering. How can I tell if this is actually working? In the past, with OpenXR's Foveated Rendering, I could easily notice the display becoming pixelated in some parts. Plus, I needed to enable it within OpenXR. However, with Quad View, it's not as clear if it's working – even the display on my computer monitor doesn't seem pixelated in some parts. By the way, am I correct in assuming that I shouldn't use OpenXR to activate Quad-ViewDynamic Foveated Rendering? Once Quad-View is installed, does Dynamic Foveated Rendering automatically turn on when I run games like DCS? Appreciate your help in advance!

Edited by Em1

51 minutes ago, Em1 said:

Newbie Question: I've got a Quest Pro, and I've installed OpenXR and Quad View Foveated Rendering. How can I tell if this is actually working? In the past, with OpenXR's Foveated Rendering, I could easily notice the display becoming pixelated in some parts. Plus, I needed to enable it within OpenXR. However, with Quad View, it's not as clear if it's working – even the display on my computer monitor doesn't seem pixelated in some parts. By the way, am I correct in assuming that I shouldn't use OpenXR to activate Quad-ViewDynamic Foveated Rendering? Once Quad-View is installed, does Dynamic Foveated Rendering automatically turn on when I run games like DCS? Appreciate your help in advance!

There is a log file (%LocalAppData%\Quad-Views-Foveated\Quad-Views-Foveated.log)

There is a OpenXR Explorer application that can tell you (I have not used it)

There is a mirror on my screen that shows 4 renders of the scene. Like 4-way session of Mario Kart 64 on one screen

You can very quickly move your eyes from top right and top left and back again. The DFR is fast, but not that fast

I did not know that one could activate DFR via OpenXR Toolkit. I am going to stay shy of calling this out as false as things could have changed, but I lets just say. X X X X X X XX X Doubt!

Also FYI - Copy and paste from Mbucchia himself

Be mindful of the settings you enable in OpenXR Toolkit! Several settings are incompatible and should not be used:

'Foveated Rendering' - You are already doing this through Quad-Views-Foveated, and better!.
    'Field of view' override and 'Zoom'.
    'Turbo mode' may only be used if it is not already enabled through Quad-Views-Foveated's configuration.

Finally you must have completed these additional steps on the Quest end for Eye Tracking to be working: https://github.com/mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated/wiki/Meta-Quest-Pro

Thanks Nikoel. I guess it is not working. I do not see the "%LocalAppData%\Quad-Views-Foveated\Quad-Views-Foveated.log" in my openXR log file.

Plus I only see one mirror display on my monitor. No quad-view. I also do not see any blurring or any indication inside DCS that dynamic foveated rendering is active.

What could it be? I followed the procedure to the letter. Any more advice/ideas? I really want this to work.

My PC specs if it helps...

RTX 4090

64 gig ram (6400mgz)

Samsung 990 pro m.2 drive

Windows 11 running direct X 12

Running the MT version of DCS

Edited by Em1

50 minutes ago, Em1 said:

Thanks Nikoel. I guess it is not working. I do not see the "%LocalAppData%\Quad-Views-Foveated\Quad-Views-Foveated.log" in my openXR log file.

Plus I only see one mirror display on my monitor. No quad-view. I also do not see any blurring or any indication inside DCS that dynamic foveated rendering is active.

What could it be? I followed the procedure to the letter. Any more advice/ideas? I really want this to work.

My PC specs if it helps...

RTX 4090

64 gig ram (6400mgz)

Samsung 990 pro m.2 drive

Windows 11 running direct X 12

Running the MT version of DCS

There's a whole set of troubleshooting instructions linked form the front page of the wiki where you downloaded the tool:

https://github.com/mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated/wiki/Troubleshooting

hi, 

i am an G2 owner for the day the g2 came out, but thinking now at the pimax crystal, 

the shop i know have the crystal in stock, but i think to run the headset with good fps... i am gonna need DFR 

my pc spec: rtx3090, 64gb ram, i7-10700k

@mbucchia do you think we are going to get the support for crystal?

2 hours ago, _schepper_ said:

hi, 

i am an G2 owner for the day the g2 came out, but thinking now at the pimax crystal, 

the shop i know have the crystal in stock, but i think to run the headset with good fps... i am gonna need DFR 

my pc spec: rtx3090, 64gb ram, i7-10700k

@mbucchia do you think we are going to get the support for crystal?

Support for? DFR? That's already supported since last month:

https://github.com/mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated/wiki#compatibility

• Like 2

Saw this posted by Pimax over on another thread, I only copied the eye tracking part of the post:

Note:The hardware for Crystal is fully functional. However, the software modules for eye tracking and standalone VR mode are not yet enabled. Once enabled, you will be able to update the software via OTA. We will keep you continally updated information.

Disclaimer - I do not have Crystal so I have no idea myself. You may want to contact Pimax support.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hey all, I'm getting asked every day now to "fix the lighting issues" with foveated rendering (the imbalance when looking at the sky/sun, and also the NVG issue).

And same goes for the double-cursor issue in ST.

This isn't something I can fix. This needs to be fixed inside the game engine.

Can someone please already find the proper way to report this to ED? And share whenever link/thread?

It's not going to be fixed by them unless they are made aware of the issue.

Thanks!

Edited by mbucchia
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, mbucchia said:

Hey all, I'm getting asked every day now to "fix the lighting issues" with foveated rendering (the imbalance when looking at the sky/sun, and also the NVG issue).

And same goes for the double-cursor issue in ST.

This isn't something I can fix. This needs to be fixed inside the game engine.

Can someone please already find the proper way to report this to ED? And share whenever link/thread?

It's not going to be fixed by them unless they are made aware of the issue.

Thanks!

@BIGNEWY please could you log this issue?

My message isn't a sufficient bug report. Someone needs to spend some time doing a nice write up, explaining this happens in quad views mode, explaining what they are seeing (all 3 issues, brightness, NVG, double cursor), with some pictures...

On 8/28/2023 at 9:28 AM, _schepper_ said:

oke, so i went and buy the crystal,

i have open xr, pimax xr, and pimax play, 

runnning the latest softwear on headset, but i can not see the option to enable eye tracking?

image.png

Eye tracking from Pimax should be out in September.   It's currently being heavily beta tested and making fantastic progress

@BIGNEWY @mbucchia
On the topic of the NVG bug with Quad Views DFR - NVG gets a pixelated mask moving with the eyes:
I would like to link the following topic from the VR Bugs section here in an attempt to bring it to the mods attention.

I think this affects all headsets that use Quad Views DFR.

Edited by Sile

The installation forces the screen to window?, or is it me, my installation. Before the installation of the program, I could see the VR mirror in full screen (3840x2160), now it is only available in a window of about 1920x1080px or less when I start DCS.

Followed all the steps in the guide (https://github.com/mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated/wiki)

YouTube Channel

Update: MSI Z790 Tomahawk, i9 13900k, DDR5 64GB 640 MHz, MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio, 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2 and 4 more, HOTAS TM Warthog, Meta Quest Pro

hace 12 minutos, Fisu_MAD dijo:

The installation forces the screen to window?, or is it me, my installation. Before the installation of the program, I could see the VR mirror in full screen (3840x2160), now it is only available in a window of about 1920x1080px or less when I start DCS.

Followed all the steps in the guide (https://github.com/mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated/wiki)

hat has nothing to do with the QUAD FOVEATED. In the DCS VR tab options you can choose to make the mirror full resolution.

hace 16 minutos, Werewolf_fs dijo:

hat has nothing to do with the QUAD FOVEATED. In the DCS VR tab options you can choose to make the mirror full resolution.

Maybe something was configured incorrectly yesterday when I was trying to start DCS in server maintenance. The full window and resolution options are as they should be. Now when I start the session in MT with Oculus, it always does it in a window. Fine if it has nothing to do with QFR

Edited by Fisu_MAD

YouTube Channel

Update: MSI Z790 Tomahawk, i9 13900k, DDR5 64GB 640 MHz, MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio, 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2 and 4 more, HOTAS TM Warthog, Meta Quest Pro

I was about to order a QP yesterday, but I thought I’d read through this thread first as DFR is one of the main draws for me (can’t see the Q3 being able to do this). To be honest I still can’t believe we have DFR now, it was the mythical holy grail when I had my CV1.

May I ask how noticeable the DFR is? By which I mean, is it completely seamless or does one have to train one’s eyes not to notice the blurry bits? Also how good is the QP’s camera at keeping up with the speed at which our eyes move?

Also, I read it increases cpu frame times. Is there a ballpark number for how much (ie 2ms etc) I have a 5900X 4090 and 64gb ram.

Id really like to order it tonight but I want to just make sure of a couple of things, not least because in order to get this cleared hot by my wife I’ve billed it as possibly the last VR headset I’ll ever need! (I know, I know. But by forever I actually meant the next few years 😉 )

Edited by Digitalvole

39 minutes ago, Digitalvole said:

I was about to order a QP yesterday, but I thought I’d read through this thread first as DFR is one of the main draws for me (can’t see the Q3 being able to do this). To be honest I still can’t believe we have DFR now, it was the mythical holy grail when I had my CV1.

May I ask how noticeable the DFR is? By which I mean, is it completely seamless or does one have to train one’s eyes not to notice the blurry bits? Also how good is the QP’s camera at keeping up with the speed at which our eyes move?

Also, I read it increases cpu frame times. Is there a ballpark number for how much (ie 2ms etc) I have a 5900X 4090 and 64gb ram.

Id really like to order it tonight but I want to just make sure of a couple of things, not least because in order to get this cleared hot by my wife I’ve billed it as possibly the last VR headset I’ll ever need! (I know, I know. But by forever I actually meant the next few years 😉 )

I will tell you for me it is completely seemless, I do not notice it at all. In my Varjo Aero, it made a big difference in performance. I now run it's middle area at highest settings for the Aero, it is gorgeous and very smooth. Can not really compare frame timing but certainly a nice improvement. 

This is the biggest performance gain for DCS in VR I have seen to date. I would certainly recommend anyone using DCS a lot and looking at a VR Headset to go for one with eye tracking just for this feature. I think currently that is Aero, Quest Pro, Pimax Crystal ( still in beta).

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You have a 5900x and 4090 where you are less GPU bound and more CPU bound. In complex scenarios (missions with lot of objects in view, ie, f-16 cold start @ Nevada instant action), you might not actually get any performance boost, in fact, you probably will get worse performance with DFR. You can however, crank up the visuals to insane amount in less complex missions and you won't see any blurs.