Straight and level flight - rudder

Mud

Hey folks,

No matter what power setting / rpm I fly at, I have to apply a small amount of right rudder to keep the ball centered.
This in turn forces me to apply some left stick input to counter roll induced by the rudder input.  Making it pretty hard to fly a nice straight line.

Are you all experiencing this?  I have the same with the K4, but there you can adjust the trim tabs in the settings to get it more hands-off at a given power setting.

Br,

Mud

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

On 2/3/2023 at 4:50 PM, Mud said:

Hey folks,

No matter what power setting / rpm I fly at, I have to apply a small amount of right rudder to keep the ball centered.
This in turn forces me to apply some left stick input to counter roll induced by the rudder input.  Making it pretty hard to fly a nice straight line.

Are you all experiencing this?  I have the same with the K4, but there you can adjust the trim tabs in the settings to get it more hands-off at a given power setting.

Br,

Mud

YES we all experience that

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, jackd said:

I am lazy, set autorudder on, and the a8 seems to behave, the problem i have still is how to get it up to speed properly.

Make sure you've reduced the variable drag to a minimum (flaps, gear, cooler flaps etc.) and understand the difference between IAS, which is shown in the cockpit and TAS, which is what's usually shown on speed charts. 

• Thanks 1

Apart from what razo+r advised, you know you can remove bomb rack in the mission editor, do you? Maybe even in rearming menu - never tried this way so I'm not sure.

I don't remember how much speed you gain by doing that, 15-20 kph or so at sea level? Every little bit counts!

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Well the dora is a different beast.

The anton was more or less outclassed by the end of the war.

Anyway, youd fly differently in an anton than compared to a dora. The anton is defo a teamplane and "attack from height advantage only" plane. Many people try to press it into tight dog fights which is your death sentence. But against a mustang its a tight fit one can manage to handle. Alone against a spit... tough.

There is a setting for aliron and ridder trim in special options for the 109 not sure on A8 .worth a check

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 2:35 AM, KoN said:

There is a setting for aliron and ridder trim in special options for the 109 not sure on A8 .worth a check

almost all ww2 aircraft are made to fly stick and rudder. There is no A-10C one button stand up go make a sandwich solution. Also, the ball flying is the best because it teaches you about coordinated flying, a critical skill most people don't focus on in simulators. 

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.