The F18 and Super Carrier......

Fossil Hunter

I spent about two years flying the Spitfire, Mustang, and P47. Favorite was the P47. But I really wanted the jet experience. So I got the F18 and super carrier. I've taken all the others off my computer (when I've learned the F18 I'll put them back on). 

Here's my plan: 

1. learn to fly the plane

2. learn carrier take off and landings

3. learn the arms and get into action.

I'm planning on doing 6 months of 1 & 2 before I worry about #3.

Is this a good plan. So far I have done the training supplied but need to try each session skills outside the handholding of the training. The flying is much easier than the war birds but the equipment is much more sophisticated and I can see will take a serious amount of time to learn given that I can only spend about an hour a day doing it.

What would be your two best tips about the plane?

Thanks.

F-18 is fly by wire aircraft which means you have a computer helping you fly, learning to fly it should not take as much since it is not that hard as old prop planes, carrier recovery if you want to do it properly will take some time that's for sure, same with aerial refueling.

Now what takes time to learn in the modern jet as the Hornet is avionics systems and weapons usage, learning the AA radar, AG radar, Targeting Pod etc...

Those planes are made to basically fly themselves so the pilot can focus on situational awareness and weapons delivery.

• Like 2

My only tip (valid for all platform) is: join a virtual squadron.

This will:
1) give you motivation and force you to fly on a regular basis
2) have people instructing you (if it's a good virtual squadron, they will have a training sillabus) and give you a feedback on your progress
3) Teach you how to fly and communicate with other people

There are many groups out there flying F/A-18s out there and some are even specifically built around carrier ops.

I'm afraid that if you'll stick to 1 & 2 and ignore 3 for 6 months, you'll get bored quite quickly. There's nothing wrong in learning a bit of everything et this same time.
Yes, start with cold start, take off, airfield pattern and landing. But then why not to put all in one - take off, some ground pounding, then landing?

To learn carrier operations you'll to master your plane in low speed and managing "on speed" flying. But you can start to read about carrier pattern and Cases from start.
I highly recommend this document, which is true Bible of DCS Carrier Ops: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ncJuecF3DWl7hNrDQaHM_EKKlogimroA/view?usp=sharing

• Like 1

For step three: Purchase Baltic's "Raven One" campaign and it will stretch your ability to operate the Hornet technically and tactically to the limit...and you'll come away appreciating  how remarkably capable America's most underrated 4th gen fighter truly is.

Edited by wilbur81
  • Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I think you are being too formal in your approach. I just started flying all the included missions. If you don't have the Persian Gulf map, get that because you get another batch of missions with it. Get used to Shift-R for restarting a mission. When you have a problem just hit Shift-R and start over. Also get used to Active Pause. That stops your plane but everything else keeps running. Really nice as a cheat when you can't find a ground target. Just yesterday I flew a mission where I needed to find and take out 4 enemy trucks. I hit active pause and 1 by 1 locked them and hit them w/ a MavF. Eventually I will be able to do that w/o active pause, but for now that allowed me to continue that mission and take out a Mig. If you have one wing man he will just circle around you while you pause. There is a key board shortcut to do this but I run DCS in a window so I have that bottom bar of buttons active while flying. Have a problem, hit Pause, go to that bar and go to youtube for a tutorial, or to your saved documents, or to Chucks Guide. I often swap back and forth between setting up bombs and following Chucks Guide steps for the bomb I am working with. To start flying carrier traps download Bankler's Case 1 Trainer mission. He starts you out in the air maybe 12 miles behind the boat at about 1200ft and 400mph. You want to fly by the boat at 800ft and 350. He already has the plane mostly set up for you but I like to use the ICLS so I get that going while getting near the boat. he puts critiques on the screen periodically while you are flying. You were high at the 90, you were low after the break etc. Once on the carrier stop and sit for a minute and you get a detailed critique of the whole flight. then hit Shift-R and do it again. As you work on the FA-18 you will get frustrated trying to do something. Don't beat your head on the wall, you are not a real pilot trying to get qualified. Fly another mission that you can do and enjoy. 

• Like 4