Campaign forced settings listed in requirements

wowbagger

Would it be possible to start listing the forced settings for the commercial campaigns - perhaps under the requirements section?

Campaign creators are doing a great job of providing us with some  wonderful campaigns lately, but for whatever reasons they are commonly forcing their play preferences upon us (I know they have their reasons). Since the files are uneditable there is no way around this. The "Use for all missions" check box doesn't seem to affect this either. As the person paying, I would like to be able to play the game in the way that I want, or not to have spent the money. I hope that makes sense.

Cheers

• Like 2

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

17 hours ago, wowbagger said:

Would it be possible to start listing the forced settings for the commercial campaigns - perhaps under the requirements section?

Campaign creators are doing a great job of providing us with some  wonderful campaigns lately, but for whatever reasons they are commonly forcing their play preferences upon us (I know they have their reasons). Since the files are uneditable there is no way around this. The "Use for all missions" check box doesn't seem to affect this either. As the person paying, I would like to be able to play the game in the way that I want, or not to have spent the money. I hope that makes sense.

Cheers

It's especially frustrating when a mission over-rides my default cockpit snap views. I'm sure it usually happens accidentally, not intentionally.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

Yes, I think that is caused by the the mission editor sometimes dumping config files into the miz archive for no intended reason. I'm 100% sure the content creators are never doing that by design. You should be able to delete the offending files from the mission archive without issue.

10 hours ago, sthompson said:

It's especially frustrating when a mission over-rides my default cockpit snap views. I'm sure it usually happens accidentally, not intentionally.

Put your snap view settings in your saved games folder. Then they won’t be overridden by mission settings 

3 hours ago, schurem said:

Some do it by design. For example allowing F2 browsing of aircraft could expose some of the smoke and mirrors used tomkeep the thing operable, playable and immersive.

It’s possible that some campaigns restrict “cheating” via the F10 map ie seeing enemy units and such. Otherwise I haven’t noticed this much. @wowbagger What types of settings are you referring to? 

• Like 2

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Labels, external views, F10 map for some, etc.  You can't "cheat" playing a single player game the way you like/need to play. No creator can take  into account everyone's physical requirements, hardware availability, or simple play style preferences. To me it seems silly to lock anyone out of anything they want to do with the game they bought when a strong recommendation for the way the campaign ought to played for the best experience is more than enough.

BUT please note ... I'm not not asking them to change any of that.

Some of our content creators do amazing work and frankly make the game worth playing for many (me included). I know the campaign creators have their philosophies and reasons for setting things they way they do. I'm not taking issue with that. I simply want to be fully informed before I buy a non-returnable product.

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

Put your snap view settings in your saved games folder. Then they won’t be overridden by mission settings 

It’s possible that some campaigns restrict “cheating” via the F10 map ie seeing enemy units and such. Otherwise I haven’t noticed this much. @wowbagger What types of settings are you referring to? 

Actually if the mission has these erroneously created config files in it, they will get dumped into your temp folder on mission load up and definitely will override your own snap views file in Saved Games.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wowbagger said:

Labels, external views, F10 map for some, etc.  You can't "cheat" playing a single player game the way you like/need to play. No creator can take  into account everyone's physical requirements, hardware availability, or simple play style preferences. To me it seems silly to lock anyone out of anything they want to do with the game they bought when a strong recommendation for the way the campaign ought to played for the best experience is more than enough.

BUT please note ... I'm not not asking them to change any of that.

Some of our content creators do amazing work and frankly make the game worth playing for many (me included). I know the campaign creators have their philosophies and reasons for setting things they way they do. I'm not taking issue with that. I simply want to be fully informed before I buy a non-returnable product.

Actually if the mission has these erroneously created config files in it, they will get dumped into your temp folder on mission load up and definitely will override your own snap views file in Saved Games.  

Interesting. I guess I’ve never noticed any of this in the DLC campaigns I have. Maybe just the F10 limitations but that makes sense to me. Publishing these settings would be a good move though. 

• Like 2

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

@wowbagger Please keep in mind the other side of the coin - overriding certain settings in heavily-scripted mission might make it not play correctly, which is not great either, is it? Reflected described the problem in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s74KHQBlClE

That being said, I agree that problem could indeed be somewhat mitigated by extra info about campaign being provided in the webshop.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

6 hours ago, schurem said:

Some do it by design. For example allowing F2 browsing of aircraft could expose some of the smoke and mirrors used tomkeep the thing operable, playable and immersive.

I have no complaints about that. My frustrating experiences have been with cockpit snap views being included in non-editable DLC mission files, and these over-ride my own view settings. I can't think of a valid reason for a mission designer to over-ride snap views. I've complained about this to some mission designers who said they didn't realize this was happening and fixed their missions to remove the over-ride. Perhaps if these kinds of things were more transparent they could become less of a problem.

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

My snap view settings are in the saved games folder, which is where DCS puts them when you use the prescribed method of creating those views. They are over-ridden if a snapviews.lua file is included in the*.miz file, and sometimes that does happen. As another poster noted, that's probably due to default action of the mission editor, and is not intentional.

• Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

2 hours ago, Art-J said:

@wowbagger Please keep in mind the other side of the coin - overriding certain settings in heavily-scripted mission might make it not play correctly, which is not great either, is it? Reflected described the problem in this video:

That being said, I agree that problem could indeed be somewhat mitigated by extra info about campaign being provided in the webshop.

Please keep in mind that I'm not asking them to change anything - just state what is locked out on the product page so informed purchases can be made.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Art-J said:

Wow I never knew that this setting existed nor that it’s on by default or that it can cause problems. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowbagger said:

Please keep in mind that I'm not asking them to change anything - just state what is locked out on the product page so informed purchases can be made.

I know and I do agree with you about that aspect 👍

• Like 3

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

2 hours ago, wowbagger said:

agreed. i do not see a problem with noting it on the mission sale page. that could be helpful for the purchaser. if they were n00bs, perhaps they would want the easier missions. like the game rating system like M for mature, put some rating on the sale page. T for trained. A for average, V for veteran. A for ace. some people do not want to buy DLC and can never enjoy it because of the difficulty.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain