Leichtester
Go to solution Solved by MadKreator,

3 hours ago, draconus said:

No, no card ever needed that in DCS. It's just for those who have too much free time and excite about every % of performance gain.

Funny because there’s a thread in the VR section where someone seems to spend more time tweaking their $1,600 graphics card than they do playing the game. I wonder if they realize that such threads will scare most people away from using VR including me. Such stuff has convinced me to never go there.

The trouble with VR compared to a monitor is that in 2D it’s easier to have some performance headroom whereas in VR even the strongest machine will be at it’s limits. Plus VR is less tolerant of lower frame rates compared to 2D where they don’t creates sickness or artifacts. And besides just graphic settings there’s a bewildering amount of settings related to the headsets and runtimes. 

There are two kinds of players IMO. Players and users. Players just play the game. Users use the game to play around with their hardware. I’m certainly just a player. I want to set it and forget it. VR probably never gives you that luxury. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Funny because there’s a thread in the VR section where someone seems to spend more time tweaking their $1,600 graphics card than they do playing the game. I wonder if they realize that such threads will scare most people away from using VR including me. Such stuff has convinced me to never go there.

The trouble with VR compared to a monitor is that in 2D it’s easier to have some performance headroom whereas in VR even the strongest machine will be at it’s limits. Plus VR is less tolerant of lower frame rates compared to 2D where they don’t creates sickness or artifacts. And besides just graphic settings there’s a bewildering amount of settings related to the headsets and runtimes. 

There are two kinds of players IMO. Players and users. Players just play the game. Users use the game to play around with their hardware. I’m certainly just a player. I want to set it and forget it. VR probably never gives you that luxury. 

VR enhances the experience of the sim 10 fold though. People wouldn't bother with it (and yes it can be frustrating) if it wasn't totally worth the experience. 

• Like 3

Just now, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

VR enhances the experience of the sim 10 fold though. People wouldn't bother with it (and yes it can be frustrating) if it wasn't totally worth the experience. 

Yeah I get that VR is compelling but that just seems to feed the tweaking insanity. It’s debatable whether that’s worthwhile spending so much time on that vs the game. 

• Like 2

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 minute ago, SharpeXB said:

Yeah I get that VR is compelling but that just seems to feed the tweaking insanity. It’s debatable whether that’s worthwhile spending so much time on that vs the game. 

I think that would ultimately but up to the individual. Some people get it where they like it and as long as the performance is good then they are happy. I'm that way. The problem is DCS updates might ruin performance, and to get it running smooth you need to tinker a bit (at least until they have all the performance options available as stated before). Like right now, I get 70fps with a reverb G2 at 100% res and on most servers 50. However, GS server I was just getting 30 and it frustrated me.. but that could be the server... the update.. who knows. At least I have it when i have the itch!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

to get it running smooth you need to tinker a bit (at least until they have all the performance options available as stated before)

You do realize the game will always continue to evolve and demand more and more from hardware no matter what “performance options” get added. So there will be no end to the eternal tweaking. 😶

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

You do realize the game will always continue to evolve and demand more and more from hardware no matter what “performance options” get added. So there will be no end to the eternal tweaking. 😶

That is the same with 2D... 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

That is the same with 2D... 

But not nearly to the degree VR requires, again because the hardware is generally not at its limit and lower frame rates are more tolerable. You don’t see the obsessive compulsive tweaking in 2D like is seen in VR. And the VR players are tweaking $6k machines not some bargain basement PC. The level of graphics in DCS simply wasn’t intended for VR. All VR-specific games have very simplistic graphics so they’ll run on the headsets. Look at VTOL VR, that’s what a VR flight sim looks like. 

I get it that some VR players have never run a 2D game so they don’t get how easy this is all supposed to be. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

But not nearly to the degree VR requires, again because the hardware is generally not at its limit and lower frame rates are more tolerable. You don’t see the obsessive compulsive tweaking in 2D like is seen in VR. And the VR players are tweaking $6k machines not some bargain basement PC. The level of graphics in DCS simply wasn’t intended for VR. All VR-specific games have very simplistic graphics so they’ll run on the headsets. Look at VTOL VR, that’s what a VR flight sim looks like. 

I get it that some VR players have never run a 2D game so they don’t get how easy this is all supposed to be. 

Hence why we are waiting for the tech I just reffered to.. Vulkan and DLSS will make a lot of mid range cards run it fine. It's no different than people will older cards trying to run new titles. People are tweaking DCS because they have the options to see if they can get the best visual fidelity out of it while still maintaining performance. In 2D people do the same thing. Trying shadows vs AA techniques etc. Yes we have already came to the conclusion that you do it more in VR.. It's understandably more to fiddle with.... So is a PC vs a Console.. not a reason to get a console now is it?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

Hence why we are waiting for the tech I just reffered to.. Vulkan and DLSS will make a lot of mid range cards run it fine.

For now. Then the game will evolve and become more elaborate and demand more and you’ll still need to upgrade. The game will grow to use up the performance overhead created by Vulkan etc so in the end you’ll still struggle. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Funny because there’s a thread in the VR section where someone seems to spend more time tweaking their $1,600 graphics card than they do playing the game.

It's his own decision to do so. You won't see any thread from those that just set it and fly. There are defaults and gfx presets that lets you just click play and it works. The threads you will see from those who have troubles either with performance or with running it but it's the same for 2d.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

4 hours ago, draconus said:

it but it's the same for 2d.

VR requires way more work than 2D, they aren’t comparable. The whole VR sub forum is posts from people screwing around endlessly with their hardware.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

VR requires way more work than 2D, they aren’t comparable.

Yeah, like you know anything about that.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

Yeah, like you know anything about that.

It’s pretty obvious. I’ve used the VR headsets, everyone has. It’s funny today to imply that people don’t “know anything” about VR. It’s not new. I’ve used them at work, although the use of it in my industry seems to be dying off, the hype is sorta gone. 

Edited by SharpeXB

On 4/3/2023 at 9:52 AM, SharpeXB said:

Why both?

And I’m not sure any system is bullet proof when it comes to VR. Apparently a 4090 still needs 10 pages of tweaking 🤯

Glad I went with the 4080 then... slapped it in, moved some sliders up. Heaven. 😆

Edited by Sr.
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

48 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

What did you have before?

RX6900XT

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

• 6 months later...

I have an AMD 5950X CPU, AMD 7900XTX GPU, 32GB RAM, On-board Samsung EVO970 Plus 2 TB SSD, and am currently running at 1440 resolution on a 40" Visio TV, but can go to 4K.  I use TIR, no VR.  I downloaded the latest GPU drivers prior to starting up 2.9. 

Game Settings: All terrains, water, traffic, etc. are set to HIGH.  The clouds are set to ULTRA.  The visibility range is set to EXTREME.  I have shadows set to HIGH, but SSS is OFF.  Most of my sliders for Grass, Trees, etc. are set to the right of center.  

When I downloaded 2.9, I tried my res at 4K and turned on the FSR (for the AMD GPU) upscaling and adjusted it to fit my screen to my liking.  Got on to a dogfight server and noticed that my cockpit instruments were not clear and MFDs were almost unreadable.  The HUD and HMD were clear, but when I engaged another aircraft, the aircraft were ghosting terribly and even fading in and out at close range. It made dogfighting very difficult. 

I tried changing the res back to 1440, but the ghosting and blurry MFDs remained, basically no change.  I turned the FSR off and still the same conditions.  I then turned on the anti-aliasing to MSSA 4x.  The ghosting went away and the cockpit cleared up.  I tried the other anti-aliasing options, but only MSAA would eliminate my issues.  The MSAA does not seem to impact my PC performance so far.

My question is:

Why would upscaling degrade my graphics?; I thought the purpose of upscaling was to improve the graphics.  And why does only MSAA work to clear up my graphics issues, when I didn't need any anti-aliasing before 2.9?  Is it simply a settings issues or something else?

There is the jittering F2 views which is a known issue.  But I am not getting the clarity and detail and I am seeing others getting.  

Edited by ouseler

System Specs:

AMD 5950X (liquid-cooled), Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro Motherboard, 32 GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz, Samsung Evo 970 Plus 2 TB, Seagate 2TB SSD, Geforce RTX 4080 GPU, Rosewill Glacier 1000W Power Supply, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (Stick, Throttle), Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals, NaturalPoint TrackIR 5 w/ProClip, (1) Vizio 40" 4K Monitor, TPLink Dual Band Wireless Card, Window 11 OS

1 hour ago, ouseler said:

Why would upscaling degrade my graphics?; I thought the purpose of upscaling was to improve the graphics. 

Upscaling REDUCES the load on your computer and allow higher framerates, BUT that comes with the trade-off of REDUCED graphics.  You may get enough performance increase to bump your graphics settings to overcome this, but you may not.  Upscaling doesn't miraculously make the game performance better, it changes the way that it does things to reduce the load but the side effect is reduced graphical quality at the same settings.  Which also explains your MSAA question.

Of course, my explanation is somewhat superficial because I haven't dug into the details of exactly how all that works.

2 hours ago, ouseler said:

am currently running at 1440 resolution on a 40" Visio TV, but can go to 4K

Have you tried just running 2160x3840 native? Your GPU should be able to handle that without resorting to FSR upscaling. Like mentioned above, upscaling results in reduced quality but higher fps since you aren’t pushing as many pixels. But for a strong graphics card like you have, it shouldn’t be necessary to use. 

11 hours ago, ouseler said:

And why does only MSAA work to clear up my graphics issues...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multisample_anti-aliasing#Advantages

Since multiple subpixels per pixel are sampled, polygonal details smaller than one pixel that might have been missed without MSAA can be captured and made a part of the final rendered image if enough samples are taken.

As pointed above - best to use native monitor resolution in your case.

Thanks for the information.  I'll try going to 2160 x 3840 and see how it goes.

System Specs:

AMD 5950X (liquid-cooled), Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro Motherboard, 32 GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz, Samsung Evo 970 Plus 2 TB, Seagate 2TB SSD, Geforce RTX 4080 GPU, Rosewill Glacier 1000W Power Supply, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (Stick, Throttle), Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals, NaturalPoint TrackIR 5 w/ProClip, (1) Vizio 40" 4K Monitor, TPLink Dual Band Wireless Card, Window 11 OS

• 4 weeks later...

Jumping onto this thread, im new to pc's and DCS so excuae me for any daft answers. 

My first and new system is a scan 3XS system with a rtx 4090, 7800x3d, 32gb corsair, 3440 x 1440 monitor. HP Reverb G2.

In the cockpit thisng are good but could be better and when flying the ground and trees look good but not realistic enough, i had a f15e next to me earlier and it didnt look realistic / clear. Is it the vr or the settings? Im also running openXr toolkit but not sure what settings will be the best.

So far ive maxed settings out in DLSS and backed some off. In Vr settings i put the sharpness to 1.5 

Please help if you can

Thanks

Arron

On 4/4/2023 at 8:19 AM, SharpeXB said:

You can debate all you want how I use my free time and how "worthwhile" (to whom?) it is, but then again, if you're averse to wasting time, you may not want to. 

Why?

Because regardless of how your debate turns out, you'll still have no say in the matter.

If you enjoy DCS on any level, then you should thank the tweakers, because your experience would be far inferior to what it is today without them.  If you disagree, and if the way I spend my free time makes you not want to use VR, then don't use VR.  It's not for you.  It's not difficult by any means, but it does require a level of commitment not so easily dissuaded, and it doesn't sound like you have it.  I think you've made the right choice sticking with 2D.  You can thank the tweakers for making that clear, and for saving you that effort.

See, the system works.

• Like 1

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

On 11/20/2023 at 9:44 PM, Ghostmaker said:

In the cockpit thisng are good but could be better and when flying the ground and trees look good but not realistic enough, i had a f15e next to me earlier and it didnt look realistic / clear.

Show us some screenshots and point us to what is wrong with them.

What can be better in cockpit? Was something missing? Maybe the pilot?

Models of trees, ground and buildings are a bit old, esp. on older maps like Caucasus or NTTR, that's understandable.

F-15E model otoh is top notch - what was not realistic about it? Did you have antialiasing and shadows turned on? Try with DLAA and don't sharpen it too much.