Running a DCS campaign on a separate PC using DCS server....

markturner1960

Quick query...how is this done? I have got 2 PC's one I use for flying Helo's so when I am flying jets, I have decided to utilise it for running demanding campaigns ( I just got the Kerman campaign and first mission runs like a pig, 23 FPS and -40% CPU headroom in VR) so was hoping that using DCS server, I can run the campaign on PC and fly the mission from PC1, thus offloading all the computing etc to PC2 and leaving me some headroom for the performance in VR. 

Missions I have figured out, just need to add them to the open beta server saved games folder. But I cant figure out how to run the campaign....

Can someone help? Thanks

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I'm not sure about this but wouldnt you need 2 DCS licenses then??

Aircrafts: F/A-18C, F-14 A/B, F-15E, JF-17, F-16C, A-10C II, AH-64D, Black Shark 3,  Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, FW 190-D, Spitfire LF Mk.,  FC3 + some mods 🙂

Maps: Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic, Sinai, Nevada, The Channel, Normandy 2.0, Afghanistan

Packages: Supercruiser, Combined Arms, WW2 Asset Pack

System: AMD Ryzen 5 1600x@3.70GHz, 32GB Ram, Sapphire Radeon RX 580, Samsung 870 Evo 1TB SSD, Win10Pro 64 Bit, 2x24" BENQ

Equipment: TM Warthog HOTAS, TM TRP Pedals, Total Control Multi Button Box, TM MFD Cougar, TrackIR5 with TrackClipPro

You can't run default campaign on a server, and join it from another client.
I don't even know if it's somehow a violation of the TOS.

Btw, you basically have to open each missions of the campaign, edit all of them to make it "runnable" in multiplayer, be aware of not braking some trigger and logic's done by campaign creator.

Additionally, you'll loose al the status campaign progression on your client side view, and you need to track manually you successfully status and so on.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

OK...thanks.... thats a strange one then, as I can run DCS on all of my machines using my normal single authorization, but I cant run a campaign I have paid for on one machine and log into it from another? Why is that? whats the logic? 

I have looked into running DCS liberation in this way and have not done it yet, but understand from a quick look on you tube that you generate a mission and then copy that over to the server machine and then copy back a .json file to give you the "results". Is that what you mean when you describe opening the campaign ? 

If I decided ( hypothetically) to buy a separate licence for the number 2 machine, and run the campaigns on that, would it be possible? Or is it more complicated than that?

thanks

Edit: Maverick, I see you run servers, with campaigns.......whats the difference then? People are presumably logging in to them from different clients? 

So I can run DCS server on my main machine and do it like that ? Although that would kind of defeat the objective as I would not be offloading the work from my main CPU would i?

Finally, how does it work with theatres on the number 2 machine ? 

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

30 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

OK...thanks.... thats a strange one then, as I can run DCS on all of my machines using my normal single authorization, but I cant run a campaign I have paid for on one machine and log into it from another? Why is that? whats the logic?

1. missions that run on a dedicated server are technically multiplayer missions, even if they are designed to be played by a single player. it's set up differently during mission creations.
2. paid campaigns have some sort of DRM and only run on an account that has purchased the license. this authorisation does not work when connecting to a server. the server would need to check for the client's license, which it cannot do.

OK, so basically, I cant do what I want to do then.........thats pretty frustrating......Obviously, the situation is different with something like liberation, as that's not a paid 3rd party creation, yes? And they have worked out a kind of workaround for the continuity, but using the .json file to transfer results, correct? 

Thanks for the help

1 hour ago, markturner1960 said:

OK, so basically, I cant do what I want to do then.........thats pretty frustrating......Obviously, the situation is different with something like liberation, as that's not a paid 3rd party creation, yes? And they have worked out a kind of workaround for the continuity, but using the .json file to transfer results, correct? 

Thanks for the help

correct. it's not possible unfortunately. ED would need to build a more complex system for DRM in MP environments to allow this. such a system would also allow paid mp/coop campaigns (which would be nice).

i don't know how liberations works, but if it's not paid then it does not have DRM and therefore should have no restrictions. if you build your own multiplayer mission in the editor for example, you can still play it alone in singlepalyer on your pc locally, or you can host it  on a  server and play from a client pc, or you can host and play it in multiplayer.

Edited by twistking
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

...I can run DCS on all of my machines using my normal single authorization, but I cant run a campaign I have paid for on one machine and log into it from another? Why is that? whats the logic? 

The reason is copy protection/anti-piracy. You're free to use DCS and all your modules and content on any machine but only one log in at the same time. You can't authorize paid DLC on two PCs concurently. What is strange are your trials to run SP campaign on MP using 2 PCs which is neither supported or designed for. Do you even run MT version?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Yes, I have MT version. i get they dont want piracy, but I am pretty sure I can have DCS running at the same time on several PC's, with the same log in? Anyway, I have tried running the campaign in MT and it does run at double the FPS using MT....I had not been using MT due to issues with shadows etc, but turned them off and its not too bad.

Thanks

1 hour ago, markturner1960 said:

Yes, I have MT version. i get they dont want piracy, but I am pretty sure I can have DCS running at the same time on several PC's, with the same log in? Anyway, I have tried running the campaign in MT and it does run at double the FPS using MT....I had not been using MT due to issues with shadows etc, but turned them off and its not too bad.

Afaik it should log you out from any other running sessions.

Shadows problem is only in MT, NTTR and depends on settings.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 9 months later...

This is something I was thinking about. Pick up every miz that my bought campaings have. Put them in a dedicated server created in other computer that I have entered my login and password, so I could have 

1. Better FPS

2. Could save the track, so i could make better video replays.

So then, that is not possible? I cannot try now, but I would be one computer with dedicated server and my user account, and other computer with client and my login account as well. Really don't care about progression saving.

• Like 1

You can experiment, but as noted above, chances that it will work are rather low. By default if it's an SP campaign, it can be played only on a single PC at a time using one set of login credentials. Converting missions to be MP compatible could work possibly (?), but payware campaign missions are usually locked and can't be tinkered with.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

6 hours ago, Japo32 said:

This is something I was thinking about. Pick up every miz that my bought campaings have. Put them in a dedicated server created in other computer that I have entered my login and password, so I could have 

1. Better FPS

So then, that is not possible? I cannot try now, but I would be one computer with dedicated server and my user account, and other computer with client and my login account as well. Really don't care about progression saving.

Playable for non-drm protect campaigns. Ib4, when DCS only run as singlethread . it indeed improves the performance quite a lot on heavy missions. you have the best perf when you turn away from combat zones.

But not in current MT. i find it has no noticeable changes, regardless of where the player fly or look at.

Paid DLC is DRM protected. I already tested years ago. although it still can be modified to client slots. but the mission broke the after few triggers.

im not sure if it;s a DRM issue or the trigger. very likely, it's DRM

Edited by Insonia
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Japo32 said:

You don’t need a server to save tracks. That can be done from single player/single PC as well. Just click Save Replay when you quit. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

5 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

You don’t need a server to save tracks. That can be done from single player/single PC as well. Just click Save Replay when you quit. 

Prior to the recent changes to the track system, you would get a "better" track file from a server vs client computer.  That methodology of saving a track (or at least something similar) is now in the client game so there likely isn't a big advantage of getting the track from a server any more.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, rob10 said:

Prior to the recent changes to the track system, you would get a "better" track file from a server vs client computer.  That methodology of saving a track (or at least something similar) is now in the client game so there likely isn't a big advantage of getting the track from a server any more.

Honestly I think they were equally broken in either SP or MP

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5