DCS: A-10C Warthog

Namenlos Ein

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the recoil the Ka50's gun, I'm not sure I want to try holding the chopper stable while letting loose the GAU-8... :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

That's it, if it wore an US helicopter then it would obviously have that cannon instead of the "tiny" one we have now :thumbup:

No no, you misunderstand. It is purely a union thing8)

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

Now I see what is meant by 'The A-10 was built around it's cannon' (or something along those lines..)..

Amazing pic, well found. Imagine mounting that on Bradley or Warrior lol, they'd become area weapons. And even louder.

Screw that, just stick it on top of the beetle like they were going to. That was in fact a photo from a top secret development project for a stealth urban assault vehicle.

Rumor has it that the first test firing was technically a success because the gun did fire but was deemed a failure for the same reason.

It was ridiculous that such an awesome project was canceled. Clearly the VW just needed that awesome porche type flare kit that was also developed for it but never got to the testing stage after the horror of the first firing.

What you thought that body kit was developed just for it awesome good looks?

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

Hey, if you ram enough of the beetles into the gun the latter will end up broken. And I bet you the beetles were cheaper. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I see an idea for a new artillery weapon... A gauss gun specifically engineered to launch Beetles at your opposition. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

DCS: Volkswagen Beetle

Cost effective and repetitive.

At least you won't have to fear slamming into a tree next to the street, if you loose control. :P

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

I see an idea for a new artillery weapon... A gauss gun specifically engineered to launch Beetles at your opposition. :D

Unoriginal and ineffective Ethereal, you lose 10 Rep points.

Far too vulnerable to AA weapons, as has been demonstrated by the good old patron of Blowing Stuff Up, Jeremy Clarkson:

(Let it get going, or skip to halfway)

Too many cowboys. Not enough indians.

GO APE SH*T

(Let it get going, or skip to halfway)

Thats so fake, i had to laugh at the way they filmed the carl gustav from behind. That camera guy would be dead by now, at least he would have had both eardrums blown and severe burns to his torso. I think the restricitons in the austrian army for the CG launcher are that no personnel is situated inside a 200m half circle behind the firing position.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Thats so fake, i had to laugh at the way they filmed the carl gustav from behind. That camera guy would be dead by now, at least he would have had both eardrums blown and severe burns to his torso. I think the restricitons in the austrian army for the CG launcher are that no personnel is situated inside a 200m half circle behind the firing position.

I laughed at the same thing.

But I also laughed at the car exploding from MG fire. Good old hollywood-fiction. :D

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Considering the recoil the Ka50's gun, I'm not sure I want to try holding the chopper stable while letting loose the GAU-8... :P

Just imagine: rodeo on UH-1. Yeeeeha!

xmm61lqg2xl2.th.jpg hu1bm61vy9fc2.th.jpg

And GAU-8/A can not be installed on Russian helicopters because it can't be feed with Russian 30 x 165 mm rounds. The 'Avenger' needs 30 x 173 mm, M230 Chain Gun on the Apache — 30 x 113 mm.

I laughed at the same thing.

But I also laughed at the car exploding from MG fire. Good old hollywood-fiction. :D

That does happen but the explosions aren't as big IRL. It doesn't look as though the petrol tank in that one was hit it may have been the ammunition.

Edited by SUBS17

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

It doesn't look as though the petrol tank in that one was hit it may have been the ammunition.

There is currently no MG ammunition with HE rounds that i know of because the caliber is too small for the explosive to outweigh the loss of kinetic energy. 20mm ammo is the smallest caliber where HE makes any sense.

Edited by sobek

Come let's eat grandpa!

Smallest HE round I've seen is for 12gauge shotgun but I have heard of vehicles catching fire after being hit in the fuel tank. For example one of the SBS guys in this video destroyed a ute with a GPMG firing 7.62mm ammunition. By hitting it in the fuel tank.

Normally in movies they put too much pyro to make a big explosion but IRL with enough bullets and half a tank of gas can sometimes lead to the vehicle exploding.

BTW the rest of the above story can be viewed here:

http://www.f4forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11051

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

The angle there is a bit difficult to judge, since I have never fired a CG. There is a new version of it that has a kinda water kit in the rear of the launch tube to absorb the energy. Originally developed to allow the CG to be fired from confined spaces if I understood it right.

Though obvious point there of course was that it really wasn't so much people behind the shooter that they were worried about there, more the fact that in a confined space the shooter himself would be dead. :P So can't say if that new little gizmo would help our cameraman.

But I think it is fairly safe to say that it's faked anyhow. :P

EDIT: Oh, and Mike, even if they hit the Beetles with anti-air, all that would happen is that they'd be hit by a banged up Beetle instead of a pristine one. And some shrapnel. Bit like the whole problem of using nukes to take out asteroids - you need enough energy to completely vaporize the object, because it'll deliver the same energy on impact even if it is in several pieces. So I'm still holding out for my Beetle-artillery.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

The angle there is a bit difficult to judge, since I have never fired a CG. There is a new version of it that has a kinda water kit in the rear of the launch tube to absorb the energy. Originally developed to allow the CG to be fired from confined spaces if I understood it right.

Though obvious point there of course was that it really wasn't so much people behind the shooter that they were worried about there, more the fact that in a confined space the shooter himself would be dead. :P So can't say if that new little gizmo would help our cameraman.

But I think it is fairly safe to say that it's faked anyhow. :P

The most obvious sign is that they completely modelled the projectiles flight envelope wrong. The CG is a recoilless rifle, therefore there's a big (really big :D) bang when firing and afterwards the projectile goes ballistic. However, the CGI artists mistook it for a rocket launcher.

Come let's eat grandpa!