1.1 Copy protection

Wags

• ED Team

In talks with Eagle today, I learned the following facts that I wanted to pass along:

1- A new version of 1.1 demo is in testing that does NOT include Starforce

2- Eagle is evaluating more than one means of copy protection for the download version of 1.1, not just Starforce. A final decision has not been reached.

3- The CD version of 1.1 will probably use a CD check as copy protection. This is not finalized though.

As you can see, a lot is still up in air; this partially explains the delay of release. Please do not read more into this.

It was an oversight to release the 1.1 demo without an indication that Starforce would be installed on the end users computer. This was not a malicious act, just a mistake made by a team that is working very hard and as quickly as possible to bring you this product.

Relax.

Bests,

Matt

Re: 1.1 Copy protection

In talks with Eagle today, I learned the following facts that I wanted to pass along:

1- A new version of 1.1 demo is in testing that does NOT include Starforce

2- Eagle is evaluating more than one means of copy protection for the download version of 1.1, not just Starforce. A final decision has not been reached.

3- The CD version of 1.1 will probably use a CD check as copy protection. This is not finalized though.

As you can see, a lot is still up in air; this partially explains the delay of release. Please do not read more into this.

It was an oversight to release the 1.1 demo without an indication that Starforce would be installed on the end users computer. This was not a malicious act, just a mistake made by a team that is working very hard and as quickly as possible to bring you this product.

Relax.

Bests,

Matt

Thank you very much for updating us on this issue :)

Thanks Wags. As some folks have said on other threads, people just need to stop freaking out and just chill. Sit down, have a cold one and wait until the actual release of FC. As for the accidental inclusion of this copy protect s/w in the demo, well things like this do happen by mistake - have done it myself at work :( . It is not yet another gunman on the grassy knoll/CIA/Area 51 conspiracy, it's just a mistake.....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

• ED Team

I could not agree with you more.

Bests,

Matt

Thanks Wags. As some folks have said on other threads, people just need to stop freaking out and just chill. Sit down, have a cold one and wait until the actual release of FC. As for the accidental inclusion of this copy protect s/w in the demo, well things like this do happen by mistake - have done it myself at work :( . It is not yet another gunman on the grassy knoll/CIA/Area 51 conspiracy, it's just a mistake.....

well that should also shut up those who were attacking people who thought this was an issue :)

i wonder how many minutes of my week i wasted on this this week.

Thanks for the update, it's nice to have some reliable info :)

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Uhhh.. At last official response. I couldn't really stand all these panic and conspiracy threads. It somehow reminded be old days on combat sim forums (including Lock On forum) with HyperLobby-phobia :lol:

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I was the one that found StarForce in the demo and brought it up on the public russian forum. The only reason I found it and brought it up is because I installed Windows XP 64 beta and discovered that demo won't work ther because StarForce would not support it yet.

I regret bringing it up as I only wished that XP 64 was supported, not to start this drama which in turn did cause an unexpected delay in releasing the addon. Good thing we've got the demo to practice.

If you have any doubdts about buying FC 1.1 that's fine, just make sure you re-read this http://www.lockon.ru/index.php?lang=en&scr=list&end_pos=9&page=2

and make sure you'll find a substitution.

That is, if you need this kind of realism at all in a PC computer simulator priced ~$30...

thanx wags.

I have one message to ED...

PLEASE HAVE A COPY PROTECTION THAT IS VERY VERY VERY Impossible (atleast for a while i.e., 8 months after release) to emulate or break.

I am in full support for a very secure game. The dEVS HAVE to get their money. :twisted:

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

I was the one that found StarForce in the demo and brought it up on the public russian forum. The only reason I found it and brought it up is because I installed Windows XP 64 beta and discovered that demo won't work ther because StarForce would not support it yet.

I regret bringing it up as I only wished that XP 64 was supported, not to start this drama which in turn did cause an unexpected delay in releasing the addon. Good thing we've got the demo to practice.

If you have any doubdts about buying FC 1.1 that's fine, just make sure you re-read this http://www.lockon.ru/index.php?lang=en&scr=list&end_pos=9&page=2

and make sure you'll find a substitution.

That is, if you need this kind of realism at all in a PC computer simulator priced ~$30...

Don't regret a single bit, I only saw good things coming out of all this "histeria":

1. Brought up StarForce issue which turned out to be mistake to be included in 1.1 demo. Clean 1.1 version is being prepared and why would you regret that?

2. Exposed the bad way SF is designed to run, the best explanation comes from Hodgepodge and it could not have been better written:

http://forum.lockon.ru/viewtopic.php?t=3393&start=240

3. Even though developers were looking into different protections all along this might be a strong point to deter them away from StarForce. From developers point of view this is currently probably the strongest protection on the market but it comes with it's own bag of issues, as in no.2.

This showed many people are prepared not to buy this product because of SF subject and ED can't afford to reduce already limited nitche market because of such issues.

I'm just glad that ED are considering other methods of copy-protection. Once again, they show us that they listen to the community. Thumbs-up to that!

I really, really want this sim to do well (swell, actually), and it made me sad to see all the people who said that they would abandon the product if only StarForce would be used. Sad because ED deserves to succeed in their mission (not to conquer the world, but you know..), and having a method of copy-protection spoil it all would be a darn shame!

I want to get away, I wanna fly away.

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

- Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away

I'm just glad that ED are considering other methods of copy-protection. Once again, they show us that they listen to the community. Thumbs-up to that!

I really, really want this sim to do well (swell, actually), and it made me sad to see all the people who said that they would abandon the product if only StarForce would be used. Sad because ED deserves to succeed in their mission (not to conquer the world, but you know..), and having a method of copy-protection spoil it all would be a darn shame!

Yes, listening to community should have been my forgoten no.4

I am one of those who said I would abandon this product and unfortunately woudn't changed my mind after a cool of period.

I love Lockon, there is nothing else even near it, so this choice would definitevly broke my heart.

I'm very pleased of this semi-official statement.

I'd also like to point out that there weren't "conspiracy" threads, but just threads that said that Starforce has had its own problems, and we're still not sure they've been solved. And also in many posts people (myself included) pointed out that adding starforce in the demo without telling the users hasn't been a good idea. I was disappointed because I felt it couldn't have been a mistake, because there have been months of "checking and doublechecking" and being a programmer too I have to admit I find this one a very strange mistake!

I'm glad ED is considering other game protection systems, and I suggest to avoid activation systems, because activation is hated not just by crackers, but also by many legitimate users. Microsoft and other big companies can afford product activation, ED I'm not sure it can.

One last note: I understand the need of a basic copy protection for this game, but I also think that it isn't worth investing huge capitals on this issue, since this game is gonna be bought mostly by people within this community, IMHO, and I don't think there are many "crackers" able or willing to hack the executable to save just $ 35. I could be wrong but in my opinion we have already proved to be a faithful community, that appreciates and supports ED's activity.

So I don't think "hacking to save money" is the attitude of the typical Lomac fan. This usually happens in other kinds of games, with a larger "audience".

This is not to diminish the value of FC, but it's just a fact, ours is a quite small community.

Anyway I'm happy of this reply by Wags because there was a lot of confusion in this forum, and as I stated in a previous post, it's in the best interest of ED to clarify things and to keep in touch with its community.

cheers,

Matteo

PLEASE HAVE A COPY PROTECTION THAT IS VERY VERY VERY Impossible (atleast for a while i.e., 8 months after release) to emulate or break.

lol never seen a protection what works more than 50%

after 2 weeks the protection is broken and you may find FC in emule as a download.

Every Software ist hack-able, the Hackers deletes only Protection out of the Program... done.

The only thing that would be Secure is a online key when playing in multiplayer. You cant play with a generated key or with 2 keys at the same time.

But a true Lock-On Fan buy it and dont steal it.

Piracy kills good games and copy-protections annoys customers.

This message was sponsored by "askingstupidquestions.com" in cooparation with "icantfly.de".