ED VoIP is actually quite good already

twistking

I've only heard complaints and so was hesitant to test it myself, but now i can happily say, that it is actually rather good. If you haven't yet, give it a try!

It doesn't have feature parity with external solutions yet, but what is there already works well.

User experience is nothing short of excellent: Easy to set up. The ingame voice config overlay (strg+shift+Tab) is very well thought out and easy to use. To my surprise integration with the aircraft radios is already working flawlessly.

A lot of things are still missing, but it's already fully useable and in our (admittedly quite small) test mission, we did not encounter any bugs.

If you haven't already, give it a try. That's all i wanna say basically! Thanks.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team

Thank you for the feedback twistking, the team are still tweaking and adding features to our voice chat, hopefully we can share more progress with you all soon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

19 hours ago, twistking said:

To my surprise integration with the aircraft radios is already working flawlessly.

You mean frequency tuning is already implemented, like Redfor can hear Bluefor if on the same non-secured freq?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

34 minutes ago, draconus said:

You mean frequency tuning is already implemented, like Redfor can hear Bluefor if on the same non-secured freq?

I think they're waiting until they can auto-translate red transmissions to Russian for blue eavesdroppers & blue to Norwegian for Red.

That would be more realistic wouldn't it?

Cheers.

3 hours ago, draconus said:

Ooops, i must confess, that we did not check for that. If i remember correctly the GUI shows encryption status, but of course it could still be WIP...

2 minutes ago, darkman222 said:

Is it working with the aircrafts radio like SRS already? I mean like dialing in the UHF and VHF frequencies and youre done and read?!

Yes. That's working. Basic functionality is all there.

• Like 1

Great news. Well that would be nice if we could get rid of the extra step of installing SRS for use in virtual squadrons.

@BIGNEWYIf we get some kind of the "awacs mode" SRS offers for ATC Controllers and if it works with Lotatc too that'll be great. Not really sure what part SRS plays reading out squawk of the aircraft and sending it to Lotatc

9 hours ago, bies said:

I can't wait for the final release and implementing it in most MP servers instead of SRS external application.

I hope you have a long breath. When VoIP was introduced, it caused massive lag for MP servers who had that activated and most servers wont turn it back on until its as good as SRS

Edited by Mike_Romeo
  • Like 2

My skins

• 2 weeks later...

You can do that because SRS is a separate running program. I would not recommend it though. If you do, you can create a lot of confusion, as the transmission for someone who has both running SRS and VoIP will hear the same transmission double and with a delay. We had that in a flight with our squardron and the issue was very hard to spot until we found that some people were listening to both systems at the same time making the transmissions almost unreadable.

Better chose one or the other. Or at least use different buttons so at least you know where youre transmitting.

• Like 1

When you have the simplicity of SRS it's hard to change. However this is a good step for ED making the sim more user friendly.

Would like to see better stability in there servers though as the most recent patches have been embarrassing