Feedback Thread F-14 Tomcat, Update 8th June 2023

IronMike

Dear all,

with this patch we are concluding the ground handling overhaul. The Ground Handling has been re-worked with extensive SME feedback and we are happy to provide you with the results and hope you enjoy it!

As always we would kindly like to ask you for your feedback and thank you for your continued support!

DCS F-14 Tomcat by Heatblur Simulations

• NEW: Major Ground Handling and Suspension Overhaul Phase 2:
    • Significant suspension and ground handling qualities update.
    • Increased Brake Torque.
    • Adjusted kneel actuator rate.
    • Completely redone strut forces and dynamics.
    • Adjusted kneel spring energy.
  • Fixed aircraft spawning kneeled on carrier hot starts.
  • All hot starts now spawn with the parking brake engaged.
  • Adjusted default takeoff trim for carrier spawns.
  • Fixed incorrect delay in ejection sequence. 
  • EIG brightness adjusted with ambient illumination.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Currently, only the EIG in the A model, is affected by the Instrument dial setting. The A models EIG, is located in F14\Textures\Color\HB_F14_CPT_GAUGES.dds. However, the B model EIG files are not even in the Color folder. They're in the \F14\Cockpit\Resources\IndicationTextures folder (EGIT_EGT.dds, EGIT_FF.dds, EGIT_RPM.dds).

Files in the IndicationTextures folder can have adjustable brightness. The HUD, MDIG, and TID elements are in this folder as well, and their visibility can be adjusted. *shrug* There's a disconnect somewhere.

54 minutes ago, Xtorris said:

Currently, only the EIG in the A model, is affected by the Instrument dial setting. The A models EIG, is located in F14\Textures\Color\HB_F14_CPT_GAUGES.dds. However, the B model EIG files are not even in the Color folder. They're in the \F14\Cockpit\Resources\IndicationTextures folder (EGIT_EGT.dds, EGIT_FF.dds, EGIT_RPM.dds).

Files in the IndicationTextures folder can have adjustable brightness. The HUD, MDIG, and TID elements are in this folder as well, and their visibility can be adjusted. *shrug* There's a disconnect somewhere.

This is intended as is, the EIG was not adjustable in the B irl either, and was commented on as a nuisance by pilots. The above fix *should* alleviate that a bit, without making it unrealistic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

1 hour ago, SparrowLT said:

Still blackout on every cat launch wich is very annoying..specially considered its followed inmediatly by a hard pitch up and into a dive

That is odd. I just tried it again, and the pitch is now back to normal and no blackout on my side. Maybe some settings are interfering, like input from the joystick trimming up, or something else, like a mod, etc?

Can anyone else confirm they are seeing blackouts on cat launch and abnormal pitch up followed by dive?

EDIT: I tried a few more times and indeed got a blackout as well, however the trim and pitch up after launch seemed fine. The blackout for me was also only brief and ended before getting airborne, I would say it happened mid-cat launch for maybe half a second - ish.

We'll investigate further.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 6

Heatblur Simulations

The new ground handling and suspension model feels great, thanks working that out! It always bothered me to taxi around at 80% rpm and suspension being almost non existant. Taxiing is much easier and more enjoyable now!

• Like 5

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

1 hour ago, sLYFa said:

The new ground handling and suspension model feels great, thanks working that out! It always bothered me to taxi around at 80% rpm and suspension being almost non existant. Taxiing is much easier and more enjoyable now!

Glad to hear!

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

3 hours ago, IronMike said:

This is intended as is, the EIG was not adjustable in the B irl either, and was commented on as a nuisance by pilots. The above fix *should* alleviate that a bit, without making it unrealistic.

I wondered if that was the case. Thanks for the info. 🙂

• Like 1

You've answered the blackout issue (only on extreme loadouts for me) - Thanks

I'm still getting the "damage to CVxx" at launch come up in MP - again, minor issue.

But absolutely loving the suspension 🙂  spending far too much time taxing in external view to appreciate it more - Thank you Heatblur

• Like 2

Small correction/ heads-up - which completely slipped my mind above - the blackout on cat launch is an issue on DCS side, and ED is currently looking at it to provide a fix. Thank you for your kind patience, we hope we can add it in the next patch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

I tried it just below max launch weight 57,000 without issues.

2 hours ago, IronMike said:

Small correction/ heads-up - which completely slipped my mind above - the blackout on cat launch is an issue on DCS side, and ED is currently looking at it to provide a fix. Thank you for your kind patience, we hope we can add it in the next patch.

5 hours ago, IronMike said:

That is odd. I just tried it again, and the pitch is now back to normal and no blackout on my side. Maybe some settings are interfering, like input from the joystick trimming up, or something else, like a mod, etc?

Can anyone else confirm they are seeing blackouts on cat launch and abnormal pitch up followed by dive?

EDIT: I tried a few more times and indeed got a blackout as well, however the trim and pitch up after launch seemed fine. The blackout for me was also only brief and ended before getting airborne, I would say it happened mid-cat launch for maybe half a second - ish.

We'll investigate further.

Ok did more testings..  you are right.. pitching up is much less than before and not much pitch down afterwards .. so seems to be ok... i guess i asumed it was still the same after the first pitch up after update but further repeated launches showed its much better

blackout its still there.. as you say it occurs like 0.5s after the cat fires and goes away right as the jet leaves the deck.. still unerving 😄

25 minutes ago, Indianajon said:

I tried it just below max launch weight 57,000 without issues.

The Tomcat has a max launch weight of 57,000 lbs? I've never heard that before, is that a real thing?

Even so, why would taking off over weight cause the pilot to black out? The jet is not accelerating any faster just because it's heavier. It's clearly an unintended bug.

I never paid attention but IIRC the catapult endspeed will depend on aircraft weight (as it is IRL), that would cause faster acceleration for heavy jets. Btw max launch weight is 76k

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

1 hour ago, sLYFa said:

I never paid attention but IIRC the catapult endspeed will depend on aircraft weight (as it is IRL), that would cause faster acceleration for heavy jets. Btw max launch weight is 76k

I suppose that's true, more speed needed for more lift, but we're talking like 20-30 knots difference maybe.

On 6/8/2023 at 10:35 PM, IronMike said:

NEW: Major Ground Handling and Suspension Overhaul Phase 2

Thanks, feels great now. Tested shore landing - no longer glued at touch down, nice ground roll, without the overly braking feeling. Very nice suspension - feels like it now has actually something to do. Brakes keep the aircraft in place on engine run ups. :thumbup:

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

suspension is indeed quite improved.. love the bouncing (now feels like a suspension) and its more manageable on the ground.. before it felt like a go kart sometimes..not moving not moving then dart ahead ..brakes work better now as well as they brake more than bicycle brakes on a train

• Like 1

I've been having an issue where, if I spawn on a carrier in the cat position (hot-start), I cannot set destination waypoints.  I can make a map marker, and then select "From Map Steerpoints" and select my waypoint, but the DEST display doesn't vector me towards it.  Am I doing something wrong with them perhaps?  

13 hours ago, SparrowLT said:

suspension is indeed quite improved.. love the bouncing (now feels like a suspension) and its more manageable on the ground.. before it felt like a go kart sometimes..not moving not moving then dart ahead ..brakes work better now as well as they brake more than bicycle brakes on a train

I've noticed that you can now feel when the catapult shuttle is put into tension as well.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 5:01 AM, Bosun said:

I've been having an issue where, if I spawn on a carrier in the cat position (hot-start), I cannot set destination waypoints.  I can make a map marker, and then select "From Map Steerpoints" and select my waypoint, but the DEST display doesn't vector me towards it.  Am I doing something wrong with them perhaps?  

Are there waypoints already programmed in the mission? I've noticed that map marker steerpoints only work if there are already steerpoints in the system. If there are no steerpoints in the system it won't work. But I've only done it from the front seat with Jester. No idea from the back seat.