Constant whooshing cockpit sound

Eaglewings

Is the constant whooshing sound in the cockpit of the f-15 strike eagle realistic? The sound overwhlem the engine and afterburner sounds

Throttling up in the hornet and viper gives this increasing pitch sound and you can tell that you are increasing power . Not so for me in the strike Eagle.

This sound is not coming from ram air in when in flight as I could hear the sound when parked.

Ryzen 5 5600: RTX 3070: 32g Ram: Virpil Cm3 Throttle :Thrustmaster warthog flight stick: Thrustmaster TFRP rudder:Samsung Odyssey plus Vr headset :

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I find this ECS sound a bit annoying too. Maybe it's realistic, but even on low intensity it's louder than the engines. So I usually switch bleed air off, and fly with a hot cockpit 🔥 😉 It would be nice if the low intensity ECS could be much more quiet 🤫 

5 hours ago, LotusDragon said:

It would be nice if the low intensity ECS could be much more quiet

It would be unrealistic. The study sim is about realism not "nice" feeling.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

37 minutes ago, draconus said:

It would be unrealistic. The study sim is about realism not "nice" feeling.

Unfortunately, I have to agree, and start getting used to the sound, although I have flashbacks with it as my woman dries her hair for half an hour.

• Like 3

:pilotfly:

12 hours ago, Eaglewings said:

Is the constant whooshing sound in the cockpit of the f-15 strike eagle realistic? The sound overwhlem the engine and afterburner sounds

Throttling up in the hornet and viper gives this increasing pitch sound and you can tell that you are increasing power . Not so for me in the strike Eagle.

This sound is not coming from ram air in when in flight as I could hear the sound when parked.

Ryzen 5 5600: RTX 3070: 32g Ram: Virpil Cm3 Throttle :Thrustmaster warthog flight stick: Thrustmaster TFRP rudder:Samsung Odyssey plus Vr headset :

YES!!  That's the ECS airflow coming out of the air vents.  In the real airplane, you cannot really hear the engines much less the AB.

• Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Chris

H60,

14 minutes ago, H60MTI said:

I get a constant rhythmic thumping sound when on the ground, even with engines at idle and not moving...

When this happened to me it was that I had my landing gear selected to be up, I use a controller switch, when on the ground.

Hey all,

In my game the sound of the ECS is also really loud and annoying.  I had thought that at first that this was the loudest jet (in DCS) that I had been in.  Because it sounds like a jet engine running.  I kept turning game volume lower and lower to get rid of the noise.

Then I discovered that the noise was the Air Condition blowing air into the cockpit.  I noticed this by turning off the ECS and the noise went away. 

Hooray!!!

Then I discovered that just about every other noise in the jet went away as well.  Now it seemed that I was in the quietest jet (in DCS) that I had been in.  Well, except for Miss Betty who narrates warnings with great authority.  At this point I can only hear the engines with the canopy open. 

Boo!!!

Anyone else noticed  this sound behavior?

Caldera

30 minutes ago, H60MTI said:

I get a constant rhythmic thumping sound when on the ground, even with engines at idle and not moving...

Seems to be the radar at the ends of its travel. Watch the scan of the radar, and the “bump” sound happens when it is at the end of the scan in each direction.

• Like 2

I'll check the radar next time I'm in the bird.

I'll also turn off the air conditioning next time too. That 3rd jet engine in the cockpit is annoying as crap.

• Like 1

Former SSG US Army

UH-60A/L/M Crewchief

"2 To Fly!"

Razbam implemented the movement of the radar beam as it hit the it's azimuths on both side and bangs against the restraints. That is the thumping sound you hear.

If you get to damage the nose of the jet and blow up the cover, you would see the radar cone moving like real.
Razbam really did some cool stuff with that one for sure.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

17 minutes ago, Eaglewings said:

Razbam implemented the movement of the radar beam as it hit the it's azimuths on both side and bangs against the restraints. That is the thumping sound you hear.

Shouldn't the radar be standby with WoW?

Turning ECS off will have consequences implemented some day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

YES!!  That's the ECS airflow coming out of the air vents.  In the real airplane, you cannot really hear the engines much less the AB.
I am okay with it being the real thing with SE. Like someone has suggested , there is need for an option in the special tab to turn the ESC noise down somewhat.
That sound is a bit too overwhelming for me.

In every military aircraft video I've watched the predominant sound is the ECS. This is realistic. You have it in the hornet too, I don't feel like it's overdone. Actually I feel that it's missing in the harrier as harrier cockpit videos are dominated by the ECS sound with the occasional buzzsaw sound from the engine at high settings. 

• Like 2

I just experimented with turning the air conditioning source to come from only left or right engine and the noise is reduced. At least I would not fry my avionics systems as it did not trigger the dspflolo caution warning while on one source.
I can manage with that sound level.

Draconis,

7 hours ago, draconus said:

Shouldn't the radar be standby with WoW?

Turning ECS off will have consequences implemented some day.

Could they implement a system to tone down the noise a bit, realistic or not, it is very annoying.  The noise seems to overdrive all the other cool sounds in the cockpit.  It should be heard yes, but not the only thing that is heard.

The closest I have ever been to being in an F-15 cockpit is standing on a portable stair.  So really what do I know...

Is it realistic for the ECS to be first turned on and then later (due to annoying loud noise) turned off for the cockpit to become almost sound proof? 

Caldera

• Like 2