Today I learned... (inverted flight)

Lace

The Mud Hen doesn't like sustained inverted flight.  Around 10 seconds to double engine flameout at 300ft made for an interesting end to that particular sortie.  I guess that's one reason the Thunderbirds use Vipers.

• Like 3

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

did the same yesterday!! ahaha funny! fortunately I managed to restart the engines during the glide... cool stuff! maybe there are some boost pumps that need to be activated to allow inverted flying, just guessing!

intel i7-12700 / Windows 10 PRO / MSI Z690 / 32GB DDR4-3600 at CL16 / Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB / Kingston M2. SSD 2TB NVme.

-VR ONLY- with Oculus Quest 2 / wireless airlink / WinWing Hotas F18

- real world pilot -

• 1 month later...

Just wondering; is this correct behavior, or simply part of EA WIP?

And if it is realistic, is this related to the CFT's on the Mudhen, or do the albino's suffer from the same? Although other than for airshows, sustained inverted flight might not be actually usefull, still I find it kind of odd for a "modern-ish" fighter jet, not being able to do this.

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

2 hours ago, GGTharos said:

It is correct behavior, and it applies to most jets.

Ah ok, I see

Only familiar (also irl) with the F-16, so I suppose I was a bit "spoiled" then 😉

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

The engine is fed with oil to the pump by gravity, therefore without gravity it doesn't get fed and will go bang.

!0 secs max is neg G limit. (Same as a RR Merlin and for the same reason)

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

7 hours ago, sirrah said:

Just wondering; is this correct behavior, or simply part of EA WIP?

And if it is realistic, is this related to the CFT's on the Mudhen, or do the albino's suffer from the same? Although other than for airshows, sustained inverted flight might not be actually usefull, still I find it kind of odd for a "modern-ish" fighter jet, not being able to do this.

Most fighters cant sustain negative G. As Holbeach mentioned, the engines are gravity fed oil. Which is fine because negative Gs hurt the pilot so its not something that will be done often.

• Like 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

4 hours ago, Holbeach said:

The engine is fed with oil to the pump by gravity, therefore without gravity it doesn't get fed and will go bang.

!0 secs max is neg G limit. (Same as a RR Merlin and for the same reason)

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying 👍 

I was only thinking about fuel (and at least in the Viper with its siphoning system, inverted flight shouldn't be an issue), but I didn't consider engine oil feed limitations.

In my defense, I was an airframe bloke back in my RNLAF days. Apart from removal and installation we didn't do anything with the engines 😉

@Swift.; I know, the human in the jet, as usual, is the limiting factor 😋. I was just a bit surprised about the mechanical aspect.

So, when flying inverted for over 10sec in negative G, the engines are cut off automatically as a safety measure, to prevent them from running dry (oil wise) and overheating the bearings? Did I understand that correctly?

Or will the bearings already have run dry by then, resulting in major damage/engine fail?

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 1

System specs:

When I was a kid in the '90s, probably not even 10, I went to an airshow and saw the most amazing thing: An F-15C do a high-G NEGATIVE turn, for real. I'll never forget it because I couldn't imagine something so painful.

Does the F-15C have this restriction? Doesn't it take more than 10 seconds to do 360 degrees in an F-15C at negative 6Gs? I've always wondered about that because I haven't found documentation for a negative high-G turn during a demo, nor have I found any airshow videos of the maneuver.

• Like 1

Its all a bunch/game of hypotheticals, but it also keeps people from being able to do dumb stuff. No different than mach limits, G limits, etc. Like it or hate it, but there is some essence of attempting to implement some realism into to things and not allowing the jet to be flown as if it was confined to the same limits of an aircraft in Ace Combat or whatever flavor of an ‘arcade’ title you want to choose as an example. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rainmaker said:

Its all a bunch/game of hypotheticals, but it also keeps people from being able to do dumb stuff.

Ok so maybe they added an automatic cutoff making the high negative-G turn impossible which is why I haven't seen it since the '90s.

3 minutes ago, Theodore42 said:

When I was a kid in the '90s, probably not even 10, I went to an airshow and saw the most amazing thing: An F-15C do a high-G NEGATIVE turn, for real. I'll never forget it because I couldn't imagine something so painful.

Does the F-15C have this restriction? Doesn't it take more than 10 seconds to do 360 degrees in an F-15C at negative 6Gs? I've always wondered about that because I haven't found documentation for a negative high-G turn during a demo, nor have I found any airshow videos of the maneuver.

Would be willing to bet there are some inaccuracies to what you recall TBH. There is definitely not going to be anything done ‘high G’ in a negative G sense.  And the turn circle of what could be tolerated BY ANYONE doing negative g’s would be in the 10s of miles wide and not anything capable at an airshow. 

• Like 3

From the manual of the real F-15E:

"Baffles in the feed tanks provide limited fuel supply for the left and right main boost pumps during negative g or inverted flight."

and

"NEGATIVE G FLIGHT 

Negative g flight is limited to 10 seconds at all power settings,"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

4 hours ago, Theodore42 said:

You didn't see what you think you saw.  The F-15 airframe is -3g rated and they're not going to exceed that in an airshow, nor are they going to fly something they don't train, which is -gz.  I don't know where you got -6G.  

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

4 hours ago, Theodore42 said:

Does the F-15C have this restriction?

yes, exactly the same: no more than 10 sec of negative G

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

8 hours ago, Theodore42 said:

Are you sure it was an Eagle? Considering you were young, could it perhaps be that you saw a different aircraft type with a false canopy painted on it, like this:

upside-down-cockpit.jpg

I've been to many airshows in my life and negative G turns are quite common during airshows, yet I've never seen a "high" negative G turn.

• Like 2

System specs:

It's a fuel issue, too, in most jets.

The fuel pump(s) are designed to work in negative G conditions, and have a small fuel buffer for this (mini feeders). But said fuel buffer has a limited capacity of a couple of seconds depending on fuel rate. Past this, feeding from the main fuel tanks to the mini feeders is generally not possible.

Designing the fuel tanks for sustained negative G flight is possible, but adds complexity and is fully useless besides air shows. And useless complexity is bad.

I don't know the F-15E specifics, though.

Edited by Kercheiz
  • Like 1

Because it is fuel starvation.  The engine feed tanks are not designed to feed the engines for all (-gz) conditions.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

16 hours ago, GGTharos said:

You didn't see what you think you saw.  The F-15 airframe is -3g rated and they're not going to exceed that in an airshow, nor are they going to fly something they don't train, which is -gz.  I don't know where you got -6G.  

ok. I may have conflated -6Gs from a prop plane demo at that airshow with the F-15C demo. That would make sense because at that age I was only interested in the military aircraft but I surly would have noticed anyone doing high negative-G maneuvers. And those prop pilots do some insane negative-G work.

I've looked for any negative G maneuvers in US military airshows and never found anything other than inverted flight.

Edited by Theodore42

5 hours ago, Hazardpro said:

What's simulated in the game seems much more like fuel starvation than oil. 

Fuel/oil…it can all be problematic. In the state its in, you have a chance for recovery vs bearing seizing for example, which could be catastrophic.  Same as over-g modeling (stressing the wing tip vs flat ripping the wing off).  There was some actual forethought put into what could be considered ‘fair’ from a gameplay perspective when limits get exceeded. 😉  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Theodore42 said:

I've looked for any negative G maneuvers in US military airshows and never found anything other than inverted flight.

-gz are not useful.  They will destroy your +gz tolerance as well ... keep the gz positive.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]