Searchlight invisible beyond 10Km

razo+r

• 1 month later...

Also suffer from this. At first I thought it was a VR issue but tried with a user created test mission in both VR and 2d and its the same. You get the effect on the aircraft in cockpit view and external from a long way out but cannot see the searchlight beam unless you use a zoom.

I just flew Sortie 2 in V for Victory which has many searchlights but I cannot actually see any beams of lights whilst flying at 25k unless using zoom, including ones I am pretty much flying over. Its very immersion breaking!

All my settings are maxed.

If you watch the YouTube video of Sortie 2 from V for Victory you clearly see the beams from a distance searching for your aircraft. Looks great.

That video was uploaded 2 months ago so has either something changed by the developers since then (and if so I hope they change it back) or is there somehow (doubtfully) wrong with mine and it seems your client or setup? It's something ED need to investigate and give comment on.

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2023 at 11:22 PM, shrimpy_dikdik said:

Also suffer from this. At first I thought it was a VR issue but tried with a user created test mission in both VR and 2d and its the same. You get the effect on the aircraft in cockpit view and external from a long way out but cannot see the searchlight beam unless you use a zoom.

We had the same experience in a recent flight with Mosquitos using Normandy 2 map. One of us was flying in ST mode while others were in MT. In both modes the result was the same. It's very annoying that you get the effects in the cockpit, but you don't know where it's coming from unless you use zoom.

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

6 hours ago, diamond26 said:

We had the same experience in a recent flight with Mosquitos using Normandy 2 map. One of us was flying in ST mode while others were in MT. In both modes the result was the same. It's very annoying that you get the effects in the cockpit, but you don't know where it's coming from unless you use zoom.

Here's hoping its fixed in the 2.9 update or very soon after, very immersion breaking. I dont understand how it worked previously as shown in recorded missions on YT and not now. What did they change and why?

I've tried it MT, ST, N2 maps, Channel map, Causacus Map, high GFX setting, low GFX setting, extreme visability range, pretty much everything. Theres a user created mission that flies some B17s towards some lights using the Causacus map which is handy for testing although you cannot see inside the cockpit. You do see however the zoom effect work.

• 2 weeks later...

They used to work better than what I am finding in my current mission. They "pop in" if I zoom my field of view way in, but otherwise are invisible until I am very near the source when they pop in again. PLEASE FIX!!!

Edit - I know this changed because for a long time I had a mission where I use the Mosquito as a night fighter with the search lights to destroy JU-88's. It is very fun. I use the LUV TIGR trick to illuminate the runway and DF radio to find my way back. I fired it up again tonight and very much to my chagrin find this bug with the searchlights.

Edited by Rolds

While you are looking at this, aircraft lights also pop in too close in my opinion at night, could their draw distances be increased? And tankers don't seem to turn on their lights until you are half a mile away from them, much too close in my opinion.

• ED Team
On 11/13/2023 at 3:55 PM, Rolds said:

While you are looking at this, aircraft lights also pop in too close in my opinion at night, could their draw distances be increased? And tankers don't seem to turn on their lights until you are half a mile away from them, much too close in my opinion.

This is already reported as well. Thanks. 

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png