TPOD vs TGP

Caldera

Hey All,

I notice that the TPOD in the F-15E picture quality is really blurry with a lack of allot of detail even at max zoom.  Granted, I am used to like sensors in the A-10C and the AH-64D which are excellent.

But...

The one in the current version of the F-15E is pretty awful by comparison.

So my question is if this is true to the actual or an EA thingy?

Caldera

• Like 1

I like the one in the A10C too, but the one in the eagle I feel isn't too bad, just kind of look different with that greenish tint all over. The one the A10C uses is great, allowing for instant switching between IR polarity as well as TV mode.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GrEaSeLiTeNiN said:

Are we getting another pod (litening?) later on? I hope so.

Yes.

My understanding is that most F-15E airframes went straight from the older LANTIRN pod to using Sniper pods.

However as a limited few used the Litening II pod - Razbam plan to model all 3 tageting pods, with the Litening planned for CTU 2010 and SNIPER for CTU 2015.

DCS F-15E WIP (14th Feb 2023) and subject to change (from left to right - LANTIRN, Litening and SNIPER targeting pods)
FYArih6XgAIKfR-.png

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

23 minutes ago, Ramsay said:

Yes.

My understanding is that most F-15E airframes went straight from the older LANTIRN pod to using Sniper pods.

However as a limited few used the Litening II pod - Razbam plan to model all 3 tageting pods, with the Litening planned for CTU 2010 and SNIPER for CTU 2015.

DCS F-15E WIP (14th Feb 2023) and subject to change (from left to right - LANTIRN, Litening and SNIPER targeting pods)

Great news, thanks!

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
TM Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home x64 | 
My HOTAS Profiles

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2023 at 7:33 PM, LorenLuke said:

If you've used the F14 module, this targeting pod is literally meant to be the same one as that, which also has some relatively crap resolution. 

IRL it’s not the exact same one. Afaik the tomcat got an update for better laser cooling so it works above 25k feet. 

• Like 2

On 8/10/2023 at 10:43 AM, Ignition said:

The problem is the LITENING of DCS. It has a lot of resolution, you can see which target is which from more than 20nm.

Also the WMD-7 from the JF17 is a SUPER TGP with ultra high resolution.

Superior Chinese tech

On 9/8/2023 at 8:07 AM, BigBorner said:

IRL it’s not the exact same one. Afaik the tomcat got an update for better laser cooling so it works above 25k feet. 

The Tomcats started with the 25k LANTIRN pods, but upgraded because they weren't planning on changing pods.  The USAF went to the LITENING pod fairly quickly after LANTIRN and didn't need the 40k LANTIRN upgrade.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

When I drop a gbu12 using an f-14's jester, it hits the target 10/10 times, but this product has a lot of problems with jdam and its TGP performance is very poor.

• Like 1

creator of ED's official F-16C liveries (WP,OS, 132nd, 152nd, 174th)
AH-64D livery contest winner 😅
kim_123456#3214

My user files https://shorturl.at/cdKV5

4 hours ago, lee1hy said:

When I drop a gbu12 using an f-14's jester, it hits the target 10/10 times, but this product has a lot of problems with jdam and its TGP performance is very poor.

What do you mean by TGP performance?

If you're talking about the visual quality then is the best representation in DCS.

And what JDAM problems?

On 4/22/2024 at 1:21 PM, Ignition said:

What do you mean by TGP performance?

If you're talking about the visual quality then is the best representation in DCS.

And what JDAM problems?

LGB and JDAMs fall long of the target. 

On 4/24/2024 at 3:43 AM, SloppyDog said:

Yeah, that's a known issue. Specifically the aft CFT stations I think.

• Like 1

Saitek X52 | 4770k@4.3GHz | MSI 1080GTX Armor OC | TrackIR 5

On 4/24/2024 at 3:43 AM, SloppyDog said:

Yes and No I´d say.

LGBs do land long if tossed, level release works just fine.

8 hours ago, BuLLeT.ZA said:

Yeah, that's a known issue. Specifically the aft CFT stations I think.

Wanting to know what´s wrong with the GBU-38 I did set up a little test mission. Airstart, Level release in Auto at 500TAS/ 22000 ft:

• GBU-12 released @ 4.5nm from the Target - hit
  • Mk-82 released @ 4.8nm from the Target - hit
  • GBU-38 got me an "IN RANGE" cue @ 13.5nm!, but why?

After all it´s just a Mk-82 with a guidance kit and some tiny strakes. Can these generate so much lift that you get 3 times the range of a GBU-12?

I have no idea about the correct RL numbers but this kind of improvement does not seem right.

Now, releasing the bombs at a range that makes more sense to me - 6nm - and lo and behold, all bombs did hit their target.

Clearly the JDAMs need some refinements, but they do work .

• Like 1

48th_Sig_Pic.png

11 hours ago, WizzRD said:

Yes and No I´d say.

Wanting to know what´s wrong with the GBU-38 I did set up a little test mission. Airstart, Level release in Auto at 500TAS/ 22000 ft:

After all it´s just a Mk-82 with a guidance kit and some tiny strakes. Can these generate so much lift that you get 3 times the range of a GBU-12?

I have no idea about the correct RL numbers but this kind of improvement does not seem right.

Now, releasing the bombs at a range that makes more sense to me - 6nm - and lo and behold, all bombs did hit their target.

GBUs have quite a bit more range IRL than their slick counterparts. Beyond that, yes, a lot of issues are being made bigger than they are due to everyone wanting to release at the edge of the envelope vs waiting for the ‘in zone’ cue which allows for the additional maneuvering.  The aft stations exhibit some additional problems vs the others, but again, can be mitigated by not trying to send them at max ranges. Convincing people to do it is another story though. 

As far as dumb weapons are concerned, can be lots of things. Can also be improper designations, lack of proper use of AGR ranging, etc which falls on the user. Just saying they fall long or short is almost like saying nothing at all. 

• Like 2

On 4/25/2024 at 7:37 AM, WizzRD said:

Yes and No I´d say.

Typical airliner - 20:1 glide ratio

Typical single-engine prop - 9:1 glide ratio

Typical wingsuit maniac - 3:1 glide ratio

JDAM - 4:1 glide ratio??

That does seem a bit optimistic, but it is from a fast starting speed, and I'm guessing there's not a lot of specific data out there.

Remember that a JDAM is smart (not like an LGB, unless it's a Paveway III), and it starts out going fast. Those starkes do produce plenty of lift at high speeds. Since it's fairly low drag, it doesn't lose much speed as it flies, meaning it could, possibly, out-glide a wingsuit (which are typically rather lousy gliders and don't go very fast).

However, accuracy will be degraded at the edge of the envelope. A gust of wind in the wrong direction could put it out of parameters, not to mention the parameters are never exact, anyway. Perhaps the zone could use a little tuning. Either way, it's always good to give the bombs some extra energy to work with.