I love the Apache!

Gorn557

It's so easy here to get wrapped up in all the little details that can be improved or preferences we might have, so I just wanted to say how much I love the Apache and how much fun I'm having flying it. I've been flying virtual Apaches since Jane's Longbow almost 30 years ago (!!! - we're getting old) so I had very high expectations and hopes coming in, and they've been met and surpassed in spades. The joy and immersion I get out of flying the Apache and learning its systems is second to none. I find diving through the MFD pages to learn all the depth to which the subsystems have been simulated to be a joy. The feeling of being hunched over the TEDAC, lasing an enemy tank as George hides us behind a tree, hoping I nail the tank before it spots us and hits us with an AT-11 yields an immersion factor I've felt in no other video game - especially in VR. Sometimes I spawn myself on an aircraft carrier in the rain, in VR, and just watch flight operations as I sit in the cockpit ready for takeoff. It's pure bliss! 

So a lot of us get very "passionate" here about certain aspects of the game, but I just wanted to remind everyone what an amazing module we have here and how very far we've come from the pioneering flight sims of the late 1990s. The Apache has given me video gaming and simming enjoyment at a totally different level than I've ever before experienced. 

Now if I can just figure out how to consistently get myself lined up with that I-beam... 

• Like 14

Yes, it is great, for all old simmers. The old Jane's games are great still, but they were very limited to what technology could do for them. 

DCS (and other sims) is a dream come true in may aspects: a full 3D, fully clickable cockpit, with a "realistic" flight model, study level module is something people only dreamed of in the 90's. Now we are living it. 

And yes, sometimes I just want to fly around and admire the view, because it can look great. 

• Like 7

All I can add is ME TOO!!! I love the Apache 😍 and yes I‘m an old simmer 🤣

Edited by corbu1
  • Like 3

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

Add me to the list. I've been waiting for his module since 1991
(Kissing a few frogs along the way)

GS 2000a.jpg

Edited by Moxica
  • Like 7

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

The first time I discovered I could have JTAC lase targes while in hiding/cover, I was extatic for more than a week.
The Reaper drone especially. This is boss!

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

I haven't purchased any helicopters yet. Can they be flown without rudder pedals? I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro which I've been using for years. Will it work with choppers? It does have rudder controls, of course, by twisting the stick.

2 minutes ago, Ercoupe said:

I haven't purchased any helicopters yet. Can they be flown without rudder pedals? I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro which I've been using for years. Will it work with choppers? It does have rudder controls, of course, by twisting the stick.

It's definitely doable, though of course not ideal (same thing I say to people who want to fly without VR 😜)

• Like 1

Damn time flies by for sure! I remember the times in my youth playing the first time Gunship 2000 on an Amiga CD 32 console:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Later of course on PC with Jane's Longbow 1+2 and sweet 3dfx graphics ;D.

If i watch videos from those titles today I can't believe how bad the graphics and visuals have been - but obviously very pleasent for that time. If someone would have told me that day, that I would play in the future in real-life graphics in VR with Hotas controls like in the real thing - I would not believed it.

So yea, all the nagging about missing features or better implementations in DCS beside - thx ED for making this possible!

We indeed live in wild times of crazy tech, I am kind of excited what we will think about our current tech in 20 years!

See you then fellas!

Edited by Tepnox
  • Like 6

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

1 minute ago, Tepnox said:

If i watch videos from those titles today I can't believe how bad the graphics and visuals have been - but obviously very pleasent for that time. If someone would have told me that day, that I would play in the future in real-life graphics in VR with Hotas controls like in the real thing - I would not believed it.

So yea, all the nagging about missing features or better implementations in DCS beside - thx ED for making this possible!

This!

4 minutes ago, Tepnox said:

We indeed live in wild times of crazy tech, I am kind of excited what we will think about out current tech in 20 years!

See you then fellas!

Heh, internet being what it is, on whatever the equivalent of forums is in 20 years, people will be typing via their neural interfaces to complain that the snow doesn't feel cold enough on their holodeck version of the Apache 🤣

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

How I miss those big cardboard boxes and thick manuals though; when there were fewer games, and the ones you bought you played to death.

(And when, to get a new game meant a trip into the city)

Edited by martinistripes
  • Like 3

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

What ED has achieved is ridiculous!  🙂  I dreamt of the experiences that I have today (in my DCS Apache), 40 years ago.  I still sometimes (VR) hold my hand out to shield the sun from one of the MFD's!  Unbelievably, there is still more to come!  Hats off to ED, thank you for letting me be an Apache pilot, even if it is just within my Reverb G2. 

• Like 2

i7-11700F  64GB RAM  RTX3060  WIN 10Pro  HP Reverb G2  TM Cougar & Logitech X56

I flew RW in the civilian world from the mid to later 1970s till 1995. Did the next 20+ years in fixed wing exclusively. Spent time in the 206 series, 204, gazelle, Astar, Hughes 500 etc....

Loved the helicopter combat sims mentioned above. Had a chance several years ago to spend a few hour flying the DCS Huey in VR and was amazed just how good it was.

I've thought about buying a VR headset but just haven't done it yet as there seems to be more than a few  different ones available and I have no idea which ones are better than others. Currently have a 34" monitor.

I think I will get the Apache now that the sale is on.....

I really like the apache too. For us rotor heads a longawaited module. Honestly I have to say I have more fun  with my beloved Mi8. 

In the apache you mostly hover and snipe. If you get in weapon range they headshot you out of the pit in no time.

I like the diversity of the mi8. troup insertion, sling loads, gunship tasks, transports,CAS,,,, A very good module. I guess i will love the chinnok too.

Anyway a very good work from ED. Maybe we get a good campaign.

I guess that apache with a human cpg is also more fun

• Like 2

:matrix: =SPEED IS LIFE=:matrix:

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/speed-is-life.html

All of the games listed above bring back the memories 🙂

ED have created a masterpiece in the AH64 Apache. ...and most other modules tbf!

Edited by DAZnBLAST
  • Like 2

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

I'm definitely more love for the Apache these days now I'm getting more proficient. I'm trying to teach my dad to CPG and boy is it frustrating when stuff crops up in the middle of an engagement. It's literally like having a civilian get in the back seat and going off to war sometimes.